Just Order Some Mosin Ammo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool Deal.

I'm anxious to see how this thing shoots.

They're interesting old rifles and pieces of history.

I can see how one could be addicted to buying more .:drama:

expect some tough bolt action and it will kick like a mule. after a good boiling water bath and a good lube with Tetra it was better, IMO. It does break down easy for cleaning.

BTW remember it is corrosive ammo

If it is a "new" one thoroughly clean the cosmo off of it, most importantly the chamber. Take the stock if if you like...be careful taking the front band off so as to not scratch up the handguard. Actually, the cosmo can stay down in the works forever but people make a big deal out of removing it.

Clean the chamber out well with some Hoppes and a .45 cal brush. That will help avoid, but may not totally prevent, sticky-bolt. That will go away after numerous shootings/cleanings anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I got the mosin used so somebody had already had the pleasure of de-cosmoling it .

The trigger is not too bad, its long and heavy but not to creepy.

The back of the bolt(cocking/safety knob) goes down slighty when pulling the trigger before it fires.

Is this normal ?

Its a m91/30 stamped 1939 , Izhevsk with a round receiver.

Finish is pretty much nonexistent.

Not a collectors prize but its still a cool rifle.

I was wondering about the recoil, sounds like what I was expecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the ammo Sat.(it came Friday but i wasn't home). Went out and shot 20rds.

The old thing shoots pretty good. Gonna have to do something to the front sight. It was about 5in high at 25yds and about a foot or more at 100yds. Recoil was not as bad as I thought but That nancy pad looks like the shines.

All in all a cool rifle !

Got the ammo Sat.(it came Friday but i wasn't home). Went out and shot 20rds.

The old thing shoots pretty good. Gonna have to do something to the front sight. It was about 5in high at 25yds and about a foot or more at 100yds. Recoil was not as bad as I thought but That nancy pad looks like the shines.

All in all a cool rifle !

That's normal for a Mosin

That's normal for a Mosin

Actually, it's not. At least in my case.

At 125 yards with bayonet attached, rear sight adjusted to about 250 meters, I can put every shot into an 8" target. I'm talking up to 40-50 rounds with a little cool-down time between strings.

Benched. :D

Remember, the sights are set for the bayonet on the rifle. So it should shoot high without the bayonet on the rifle.

Enjoy the rifle. It is fun to shoot. If you really like it, start looking for additional Mosin (yes, they are like Lay's Potato Chips, no one can have just one!) I suggest the carbine length for easier toting, and more noise and show (due to the short barrel.) Look for Finnish models if you want collectable or even higher accuracy.

Again, enjoy!