Loaded Storage

MiddTennTaco

This is not the typical "can I leave my pmags loaded if I leave the cap on?" question.

Does anyone have any experience with leaving loaded mags loaded in an AR-15 over a long period of time? Does loading it into the gun relieve pressure off of the magazine feed lips? Simply by the feel of it (inserting a magazine) there is definitely felt pressure locking the magazine into the gun. The reason is for HD, I leave a magazine in the gun with an empty chamber, bolt forward. I'm using P-Mags but the concept should be quite universal to all AR-15 magazines. By the way, anyone else do the same? lol

Also, would it be advisable to leave a shotgun magazine tube loaded over a long period of time? Or does it need to be downloaded when not in use?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you can. I used to be under that hoodoo mumbo jumbo spell that you'd wear out your springs. I learned better. I do rotate my magazines with some regularity, but ALL mine are loaded. You know, not only is it convenient to already have them loaded, it's a handy way to store ammo.

My system, load them all. When I empty them, I refill them and push them to the back of the [storage] line. As many as I have, some stay loaded for a year or two depending on what load I stuffed them with.

I come from the school of "download them by a couple". Reason being, the crappy M16 mags that we have been issued for decades have horrible springs, and can take a set in a relatively short time if left fully loaded. As a rule, whenever overseas, I always loaded my mags to 27 rounds as opposed to 30.

Now, the PMAGs have much better springs than the "lowest bidder" issue mags, but the habit is formed.

My general council to most in your situation, is to err on the side of caution and download by a couple....I mean really, does it really matter if you ONLY have 27 or 28 rounds in your mags as opposed to 30..........:shrug:

But hey, that's just my :2cents:

Since the only issues I have EVER seen with leaving USGI mags loaded are due to cracked feed lips, I do not see how there would be a problem with a loaded Pmag inserted in the weapon. You are correct that the bottom of the bolt carrier pushes down the top round of a fully-loaded mag about 1/8", and takes the pressure off the feed lips.

The only problems I've ever personally encountered with GI mags aside from feed lip issues are dented mag bodies and a reluctance to strip the top round in a fully-loaded 30rd mag. The dented mag bodies are solved by inspection and discarding bad mags. The 1st round problem is usually due to rough feed lips. A bit of smoothing with a small file, and/or application of graphite powder is a simple solution.

I've never had the need to download M16 mags. YMMV.

Since the only issues I have EVER seen with leaving USGI mags loaded are due to cracked feed lips, I do not see how there would be a problem with a loaded Pmag inserted in the weapon. You are correct that the bottom of the bolt carrier pushes down the top round of a fully-loaded mag about 1/8", and takes the pressure off the feed lips.

1gewehr, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good points made. I also keep ALL of my mags loaded ever since I found out that the springs don't wear out from storage, lol.

This is not the typical "can I leave my pmags loaded if I leave the cap on?" question.

Does anyone have any experience with leaving loaded mags loaded in an AR-15 over a long period of time? Does loading it into the gun relieve pressure off of the magazine feed lips? Simply by the feel of it (inserting a magazine) there is definitely felt pressure locking the magazine into the gun. The reason is for HD, I leave a magazine in the gun with an empty chamber, bolt forward. I'm using P-Mags but the concept should be quite universal to all AR-15 magazines. By the way, anyone else do the same? lol

Also, would it be advisable to leave a shotgun magazine tube loaded over a long period of time? Or does it need to be downloaded when not in use?

Thanks!

How long is long? I have AR mags that have been continuously loaded for the last 6 years. I have a 12 gauge riot gun that has been loaded longer than that.

In 1981 I loaded 20 randomly-picked used M16 GI 30rd magazines and labelled each of them with a year. Over the next twenty years, I would fire off one of them each summer in a single 30rd burst. I had two (2) failures. Both were the result of cracked feed lips that spread after the years of constant pressure. One spewed it's rounds as it was removed from the magazine pouch where it was stored. The other waited until a couple of rounds had fired, then double-fed. Springs don't take a 'set' unless they are cheap or overloaded. Check your feed lips carefully.