10 shot handguns.

Mike.357

Maybe the shooter has OCD and will only load 10 rounds in his gun so they have an even number of uses in a box...now the possibilities are endless.

Get out of my head! That's how I am when shooting hi-cap pistol mags. I'd love to say it's so I pay attention to every shot, but it's really about the symmetry of it all.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno if it is an OCD thang, but I almost always use 10 rd per mag except guns that won't hold that many.

One reason is convenience of not having to count bullets (as David mentioned). Just dump out 1 row of ammo from the dillon 100 rd boxes, or 2 rows of ammo from the typical 50 rd boxes or the CCI minimag 100 rd boxes.

Another thing, lately been trying to get "generally good" shooting pistols rather than concentrating on a particular model. Typically take a couple of .22 pistols and a couple of 9mm pistols.

Maybe bring the Beretta 92 with .22 adapter and the 1911 with .22 adapter. Load up 4 mags each pistol, 10 rds each mag. Put up 4 targets in a horizontal row same height, or maybe 8 targets in 2 rows, a high row and a lower row. My groups look way different if I'm aiming somewhat to the left or right, or aiming a little high or a little low.

Rather than aiming at a single target and then unloading the entire mag, will practice "relaxed" double-taps looking for accuracy over speed. Raise and aim the pistol for each double-tap to get lots of practice coming on-target. Alternate between the 92 and 1911, 10 rds from the 92 on target 1 and 3, then 10 rds from the 1911 on target 2 and 4. Rather than double-taps, maybe raise, aim, one shot to target 1 and a second shot to target 3. Rinse and repeat. Lots of variations are possible.

My groups ain't very good under the best of circumstances but I can get a better group just raising the pistol and slow-fire a whole mag into a single target. The groups are worse practicing raise, aim, and shoot at 2 or more targets. And the groups are probably worse switching between guns every 10 rds. But it makes good comparison of how I'm shooting pistol A vs pistol B, because I'm shooting the same way at the same distance with both guns at equal level of fatigue. Interesting that shooting low vs high or left vs right moves the entire group off-center. Hopefully eventually get at least slightly proficient at the entire process of raise, aim, fire at different horz and vert angles. "Generally better" with about any of the pistols. That is the theory anyway.

Also will frequently fire two 10 rd mags at a time on each gun, for mag-swap practice.

Seems if I loaded the Glock to 17 rds or the 92 to 15 rds it would not improve this method of practice, but maybe the entire idea is flawed anyway.