Johnia Berry murder suspect found dead in his cell

Guest aBRG2far

Guest aBRG2far

Suspect in Johnia Berry murder case found dead in prisonhttp://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/16950761.htmlPosted: 9:24 AM Mar 24, 2008

Last Updated: 10:33 AM Mar 24, 2008

Reporter: Brian Gregory, Rob Pratt taylor_olson.jpgKNOXVILLE, Tenn (WVLT) -- The prime suspect in murder of Johnia Berry has been found dead in prison, according to defense attorney Greg Isaacs.

Isaacs represents Taylor Lee Olson, 22.

Olson was indicted in September of 2007 with First Degree Murder and Aggravated Robbery in connection with the killing of Berry inside her Brendon Park Apartment in West Knox County in December of 2004.

Olson was in the Knox County downtown jail awaiting trial in the case.

Multiple sources tell Volunteer TV News, Olson was found hanging in a cell around 3:00 a.m. Monday morning. Isaacs says Olson hung himself with a bed sheet.

A Knox County Sheriff's Department spokesperson would neither confirm nor deny the report. More details are expected to be released later Monday, according to the spokesperson.

Olson was due in court on April 2nd for arraignment on an aggravated burglary indictment that was not connected to the murder case.

He was due in court in connection with the Berry murder on May 28th for a motions hearing. Trial was set to start on July 28th.

Stay connected to Volunteer TV News and volunteertv.com for continued coverage of this developing news story.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good riddance to bad rubbish. This guy saved us taxpayers many dollars and the prosecutors office from having to deal with this case and probably screw somethign up along the way.

I did not know there was a downtown Knox County jail.

Guest rj8806

You know, on one hand that just makes me sick. He was too much of a p---- to face the repercussions and deal with it so he took the easy way out. On the other hand, some jerk wad lawyer would have either gotten him off on a technicality or copped a plea that wouldn't have been beneficial to anyone accept the offender. He did save the taxpayers money but I would've rather he had a chance to meet bubba.

Richard

Guest bkelm18

I almost moved into those apartments until I read there was a murder there. Like has been said, good riddance to bad rubbish. One less POS scumbag.

my sister was dating Jonia's brother Kelley when this tragedy happened. i have never seen a person (Kelley) be so consumed by rage over what and how it happened. it damn near got the best of him. my sister knew Jonia, i did not.

ever since this tragedy happened, my sister sleeps with her loaded 9mm under her pillow every night.

Guest tim99ws6
my sister was dating Jonia's brother Kelley when this tragedy happened. i have never seen a person (Kelley) be so consumed by rage over what and how it happened. it damn near got the best of him. my sister knew Jonia, i did not.

ever since this tragedy happened, my sister sleeps with her loaded 9mm under her pillow every night.

Sleeping with a gun under a pillow? Not so sure on the safety of that one! :cool:

As for the Original Poster, I couldn't agree more with saintsfanbrian, he's going to the hell. It just cost the tax payers a little less:koolaid:

Seems like both time and money saved here. As for sleeping with a loaded gun under a pillow, well let's just say I would not do it. Many options ranging from the bed-side drawer, to under the mattress, to various safes to wall mounting. A holstered gun on a belt hanging on the bed post works and adds a little cowboy flair to the room...

A buddy of mine has a shotgun mounted vertically on the wall next to his bed within easy grasp. It does not do much for the decor of the room but it gets the job done.

Guest TargetShooter84

I went to middle school with Olson. I really didnt know him well but we knew who we were though, he was nice then, but I was just absolutely stunned when this broke out that he was the suspect in this case but judging from his criminal records, it doesnt really surprise me though and for his buddy, Noah Cox, I also went to high school with him before he was transferred to somewhere b/c he kept racking up suspensions...I knew he was a troublemaker so I stayed away from him even though he talked to me from time to time but was always friendly with me but I never hung out with him and am thankful I didnt. Its a tragedy that Olson took his own life but in a way, he saved us alot of courtroom drama and grief.

Edited by TargetShooter84

her pistol is in a level 2 retention holster. the reason its under her pillow is what if your attacked while your sleeping? do you have enough strength to overpower your attacker that got you while you were asleep so you can get your gun under the mattress or in a drawer? to each his own. mine stays under my pillow too but it never moves. its in the exact same spot every morning.

Edited by cadillacdude1975
typos

The gun should be the last level of defense. You need something to warn you you being invaded. That can be dogs or motion detectors or something else. No one should be able to get to your bedroom without being detected. That way you have time to grab that gun.

The gun should be the last level of defense. You need something to warn you you being invaded. That can be dogs or motion detectors or something else. No one should be able to get to your bedroom without being detected. That way you have time to grab that gun.

Good point. I beleive in dogs myself.

Guest jackdog

Well glad the POS offed himself. As for the early warning system WE have 5 dogs, a gate that is 600 ft. from the road. The dogs go nuts if a car enters the drive. As far as walking up on the property, same issue. Have had my neighbor try it a couple of times. Talks alerted before he was within 200 ft of my home. Got to agree that early warning is your first best defense.

Guest Engloid

People that knew this guy said he was always a piece of trash. I hate this for the girl's family, because they may never know what happened to her... but they may be better off not knowing.

Guest SUNTZU

Where I live right now, I can throw a rock and hit the apartment building where Berry lived. It is such a LOVELY neighborhood. I suggest to anyone that is moving to drive through a neighborhood at 2:00 a.m. before moving there. My early warning system is the neighbors baby daddy's (plural) getting into a fight EVERY FREAKING NIGHT! The sweet melody of BOOM SHALOCK LOCK BOOM sends me drifting away to dreamland, as well as the smell of curry coming from just about everywhere else. I took out a lot of what I wanted to say, so I'll end with: Welcome to West Knoxville.

fallingdown2.jpg

Edited by SUNTZU
rant

Some years ago a travel reviewer wrote that standing atop the hotel Andrew Johnson, one can look out upon what is one of the ugliest cities in the world. He repeated the comment just before the 1982 World's Fair.

That comment stuck with me because it seems so true. But in this case, ugly is not just skin deep, but goes all the way to the bone. There is little redeeming about the city - except that at least it isn't Memphis.

Guest rj8806

The follow up story on the news this morning is that they found a suicide note with his body in the cell that proclaimed his innocence. The poor parents of Johnia(sp?) may never get the real story now.

Richard

Guest canynracer

sad for her family...

good for my wallet, glad I dont have to pay to keep the punk breathing...

as for the warnng in the middle of the night....home alarm, and dogs...they work very well!!

Guest canynracer
I'd say dogs, alarm, then firearms.

yeah, I didnt put them in order..sorry bout that... dogs warn before, and if the moron still approaches, home alarm, which in turn results in a bullet. :popcorn:

Johnia(sp?) may never get the real story now

its been so long since she was murdered, anyone recall the actual cause of death?

As for her parents knowing the story I am guessing they know. break in of apartment, daughter killed defending herself with a less than ideal instrument of defense. Overpowered by two strong young men and killed as they attempted to cover up their heinous actions.

Even if this particular scumbag did not deal the death blow he is just as guilty as whoever did.