Looking at some left handed rifles

Guest eggman

For some reason I have the itch for a new rifle. I am left handed so I thought I would look at a left handed models. Savage seems to have a decent selection. But the only ones anyone seems to stock is 243,270 or 308win. I am almost leaning toward the 308. they are all the same price. I hunt in west tenn and that's it. Where I hunt 200 to 250 yards would the very max I would shoot. just wondering what others thought about these calibers?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hawkeye10

If I was mostly going to hunt with it I might choose the 270. I think it is more of a flat shooting round. I also think the 308 would be fine too. Why limit yourself to left handed rifles? I am left handed and have never had a left handed rifle. I just have never seen the need for one, but people are different. To look at rifles you want Google "Buds Gun Shop". I have bought from them and they have good prices. There are several pawn shops where I live that will do a transfer for $30 and no sales tax. Don

I am left handed and just purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm-08. I like Savage too, as well as the Ruger. All are available in left handed models. I am a short action fan so I stick with .243, 7mm-08 and .308 usually. I am happy with the Remington. I have also owned a Tikka that was a nice gun. They offer them in left hand now.

I have to agree with Hawkeye. I trained so much on a RH bolt gun growing up, that by the time I saved up and bought my own LH version....it felt completely unnatural. From what I have seen, the high end LH guns cost more than their RH counterparts, and there are significantly fewer potential buyers if you change your mind later. In my experience, with proper practice a Lefty can shoot as fast and as well on a RH gun as the rest of them.

I have only shot one rh bolt gun. a very old springfield that was sporterized that my granddad had. Everything else have or have had was either semi or lever action. I guess I am just wanting something to be wanting something. But if I ran across a used RH at a good price I would definately consider it.

One thing is for sure..If you buy a LH rifle and for what ever reason didnt like it, Its going to be harder to get rid of. I'm left handed and like Danger Rane said, I grew up using right handed bolts. 2 years ago I had the idea of going left handed bolt. As I found out while looking, unless you buy a new one and order it, they are sometimes hard to find. And when you do find them it takes the people a long time to get rid of them. All my bolts are right handed but I did go the Browning BLR route for a while and it was great. The lever action was great and with the 308 round I had in it, it had alot more range than the 30/30 I had in a lever action. Now, I'm on a T/C kick. Single shots make me more careful on the shot I take...LOL.

• 1 month later...

I am also left handed. Yesterday I picked up my first left hand bolt action Remington 700 in 308. I have only shot the right handed bolt action rifles. IMHO I find the right handed bolt action to be unnatural. Got a great deal on it with a good scope and legs out front. Now I just need a few hundred rounds.