Rock Island Arms 1911

jtmaze

I am interested in expanding my handgun collection to include a 1911 .45. I have decided that I can't afford to spend $1000 on a gun just because I have always wanted one. My edc gun is my xd40 that may never change. I have seen forum post going both ways for the RIA 1911s and decided to ask. They are very reasonably priced starting around $400(well within my budget), are they worth the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Best bargain in the 1911 world. Why pay upwards of a grand when you can buy the exact same gun for less? It doesn't have the nice finish or some of the bells and whistles of a more expensive 1911 but it's a great entry level gun.

I'm about two weeks away from buying one myself (invoices are pending grr!) And I'm actually opting for a Metro Arms American Classic... They're in the 460-500$ range and I think the Fit and Finish of the MAAC's are MUCH higher than the RIA's. However, in my obsessive review searches both are reviewed VERY highly for the price.

-a

Guest dubaholic2

ive had both the ria and the american classic and i have to say go the american classic route. best shooting 1911 ive had my hands on and i like the fact that the slide release is at thumbs reach without changing your grip. to me it also feels like a better made gun than the ria. just my $.02.

Guest NashvegasMatt
Best bargain in the 1911 world. Why pay upwards of a grand when you can buy the exact same gun for less? It doesn't have the nice finish or some of the bells and whistles of a more expensive 1911 but it's a great entry level gun.

If it doesn't have these extras than its not the same... I think my grips, trigger, sights, and match barrel on my trp are a far cry from being "the same" as any RIA 1911

You cannot compare a $400 1911 and $1k+ 1911. There is no comparison, and I know because I own three different price leveled versions.

Edited by NashvegasMatt
Guest NashvegasMatt
I'm about two weeks away from buying one myself (invoices are pending grr!) And I'm actually opting for a Metro Arms American Classic... They're in the 460-500$ range and I think the Fit and Finish of the MAAC's are MUCH higher than the RIA's. However, in my obsessive review searches both are reviewed VERY highly for the price.

-a

Had a commander and it was awesome

Guest bkelm18
If it doesn't have these extras than its not the same... I think my grips, trigger, sights, and match barrel on my trp are a far cry from being "the same" as any RIA 1911

You cannot compare a $400 1911 and $1k+ 1911. There is no comparison, and I know because I own three different price leveled versions.

I didn't say compare it to your $1k+ super whiz bang model, did I? :rolleyes: Obviously it won't be the same, but find any entry level 1911 and compare them. You won't beat the Rock for the price. By the way, I've had $1k+ 1911s, unless they are custom fitted, you're really not getting much more gun. A couple higher grade parts, a nice finish, and a name is really all you're getting without getting into the realm of true quality parts that are hand fitted.

I have a "high end" 1911 and two RIAs. They all work perfectly every time I pull the trigger and they're all more accurate than I am. . The more expensive 1911 is smoother and flashier but you have the option of customizing any 1911 to your heart's content. I have heard good things about the American Classic. It comes from Metro Arms and is from the Philippines as is the RIA. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they actually come from the same factory.

I've owned two RIA GI models. One I bought NIB and the other I picked up used. They were both flawless and ate ball and SD ammo. They were both much more accurate than I would ever be. No experience with the Metro or the American Tactical, but they are both nice looking guns as well. Doubt you could go wrong with any of the three.

Guest sagebrushjim

Had an RIA 1911 for approx 8 yrs with a few thousand rounds thru it... No ftf and even feeds good with standard issue Surplus type magazines... More reliable than my Springfield GI... Only issue was with some Wolf Ammo that seems to have Hard Primers... No real issue there as I just fed it thru my Taurus PT145 - which will eat anything...

Guest NashvegasMatt
I didn't say compare it to your $1k+ super whiz bang model, did I? :popcorn: Obviously it won't be the same, but find any entry level 1911 and compare them. You won't beat the Rock for the price. By the way, I've had $1k+ 1911s, unless they are custom fitted, you're really not getting much more gun. A couple higher grade parts, a nice finish, and a name is really all you're getting without getting into the realm of true quality parts that are hand fitted.

Hey buddy.. Choose your words wisely, especially if you're not willing to defend them. You used the term"exact same." even the entry level springer is a better quality product. Better metal, better mold, better finish. No one is going to deny that. Obviously you haven't owned both if your willing to say that the RIA entry level is the "exact same" as a Springfield entry level. What your comparing is price range, not entry level 1911's. Because your entry level and everyone else's might be different. Btw my super whiz bang model cost me $800 so chill out and stop acting like a low end 1911 martyr.

Guest NashvegasMatt
I have a "high end" 1911 and two RIAs. They all work perfectly every time I pull the trigger and they're all more accurate than I am. . The more expensive 1911 is smoother and flashier but you have the option of customizing any 1911 to your heart's content. I have heard good things about the American Classic. It comes from Metro Arms and is from the Philippines as is the RIA. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they actually come from the same factory.

I have a feeling you are correct

Guest NashvegasMatt
i had a RIA 1911 compact tactical... ran fine as the day is long... i sold it to a friend kinda wish i had it back...i do like the ATI FX45 line though

that's kind of how I feel about every gun I've sold.

Had a commander and it was awesome

I have been looking at Bud's and several other online shops and no one has a listing for a metro arms. Could it be listed as something else. I am actually looking for a commander or shorter barrel for cc

look at ATI ...American Tactical Imports... although today is black friday and Murfreesboro outpost has a deal on guns today...probably end up with something else im sure... i always try and come out ahead if i wanna sell it later on... so im thinking Kimber just cause they hold there value