My New Sig 1911 TACOPS - Pics Added.

Guest Bassman17SC

Guest Bassman17SC

I got to shoot my new Sig Sauer 1911 "Tactical Operations" model for the first time yesterday. It is a full size pistol (single action) with a 5 inch barrel, Novak (low profile) night sights, accessory rail, and ambidextrous thumb safties. It also has the standard grip safety and the single stack magazines (four come in the box) hold 8 rounds. The frame and slide are both made of stainless steel (weighing in at 41.6 ounces) and the grips are the new "Ergo" G-10 material. This pistol is similar to the Scorpion, but with the black Nitron finish. Yes, it also has an external extractor, which makes this pistol a "1911 variant" and not a "true" 1911 model a la JMB's original design. MSRP = $1,213 but I got the pistol for under $970.

**NOTE: I have some pics to download here, but I am still trying to figure out how to do it without a link** I will use photobucket if I cannot figure out another way, I suppose. If I have to.

photo-15.jpg

The box contained the obligatory lock, the paperwork, and four mags. No other swag.

photo-2.jpg

A close-up of the thumb safety, the grip safety, and the "Ergo" grips.

photo-13.jpg

photo-14.jpg

I did not clean the pistol before shooting. Here are the ammo types used -

50 rounds Winchester (white box) 230 gr. FMJ

50 rounds PMC 230 gr. FMJ

50 rounds Blazer Brass 230 gr. FMJ

15 rounds Remington Golden Saber 230 gr. JHP

15 rounds PMC Starfire 230 gr. JHP

15 rounds Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr. polymer filled HP

I had two instances where, after inserting a fresh mag with ammo into the mag well and released the slide, the slide did not go into battery (it did not fully slide forward into the firing position). Both times were with the PMC FMJ. So I just racked the slide back, ejecting the offending round, and went on. I don't think this pistol likes the PMC ball ammo.

For about half the total allotment I was precision shooting and my first shot went right into the middle of the X (from 10 feet). I emptied the magazine and the paper target then had a 3 inch hole where the red used to be. Wow, I know there is an anti-Sig crowd out there but dang, their pistols are ACCURATE. I used about half the ammo in precision target practice from 10 to 40 feet. The remainder (and all of HP ammo) were used in point shooting practice.

This pistol was amazingly easy to control and maintain my grip during the firing process. The recoil wasn't much more than my P226, making it easy to get back on target (either precision or point shooting). And did I mention how accurate this pistol is? I could not be happier with this purchase. If you are in the market for a 1911 (cough) variant (cough), you may want to give the Sig Sauer 1911 TACOPS a look.

Here is the link -

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-tactical-operations.aspx

Edited by Bassman17SC
To add pics
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scramasax

Good pistol, glad you are enjoying it. Is this your first 1911 style pistol? What are you going to mount on the rail. Is it going top be a carry gun?

Just curious and you might try lubing the rails a little more.

cheers,

ts

Nice 1911! If I ever get another it will probably be a sig tacops. Don't worry about sig 1911 haters, I have a para and there are alot of para haters too. If it shoots good and you like it who cares what others say about it. I have noticed in the 1911 world there is alot of brand bashing. Don't worry and enjoy your sexy new 1911.

Guest Bassman17SC

beowulf50: Yes, this is my first 1911 style pistol. I did not own any firearms until the end of June. My first pistol was a SA XD(m) 9mm 3.8 inch barrel. I traded it in on a Sig P226 9mm. Then a few weeks ago I bought the TACOPS. I have no idea what I will put on the rail, if anything. Maybe a light. As a matter of fact, Jeff (the smith at Guns and Leather) recommended the same thing. So when I cleaned it last week, I put extra oil on the slide rails.

The range time this morning was very good. No issues whatsoever. Here is what I put through the pistol -

50 rds Blazer (aluminum) 230 gr. FMJ

50 rds Winchester white box 230 gr. FMJ

15 rds Golden Saber 230 gr. JHP

15 rds Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr. PFHP

25 rds Hornady Custom 200 gr. JHP

15 rds Starfire 230 gr. JHP

I did some precision shooting with the first 2 mags -

photo-2-1.jpg

As you can see, I had 3 shots go a little wild from 25 feet. I then used the remainder of the ammo for point shooting exercises (single and double taps from 20 feet). When I finished, this is what the target looked like -

photo-16.jpg

Don't know what the deal was with that one way below the target zone. As the little green Jedi says, "Control! You MUST learn control!"

I guess that is what range time is for, eh?

photo-5-1.jpg

I have a scorpion and have had similar issues with certain ammo.... Polished slide and put several boxes of ammo through it and haven't had anymore problems of that nature.... However when I first got the pistol the ambi thumb safety had some serious problems and when I operated it left handed the right side of the safety popped completely off the pistol.... Sent it to sig through a local gunsmith and had it back in three weeks fixed free of charge. No problems since! Love the feel and accuracy!