Networking automobile Radar detectors

JeffsSig

I've done nothing reckless. When you drive a vehicle with an upgraded suspension and upgraded brakes it really does make the vehicle very much easier to drive. Very true, as some have pointed out, your reaction time is diminished the faster you go, but you can make up for it by driving a car that stops quicker and handles better. I do not neglect my car, it is always in top notch condition, I never run bald tires, I make sure that everything is as it should be. I am also very careful about where I chose to speed. If you catch me on the interstate I am at no time going more than 10 MPH over the speed limit. It is all about knowing where you can get away with it. I also have countless thousands of miles of track time. I never claimed to be the best driver in the world, far from it. As for 2 and 3 times the speed limit there are very remote roads close to where I live where you can see for miles yet the speed limit is 40, paying 100% attention to what I am doing I have no issues whatsoever running between 80-120 through there as long as no other traffic is around. This is also a location miles from any residences or anything else resembling civilization. By no means would I ever drive those speed in a neighborhood or other populated area. So go ahead and talk about laughing at someone else's misfortune, people get all bent out of shape over a little speeding in a remote area, but when you or your loved one is sending a text message and crosses the line and kills someone that will be okay because you were not speeding.

Can anyone here spell "denial"??? :)

While I'm sure such advice will be ignored, I really suggest you reevaluate your common driving habits...I've attended quite a few funerals of those who, by any objective measure, were VERY competent drivers who's skills were honed by lot's of time on track and who were driving vehicles who's capabilities were far beyond normal (and probably far beyond anything your are driving short of a race-prepared vehicle).

I don't care how good your skills or your vehicle's capabilities are or how good you think they are; triple digits speeds simply do not belong on a public highway.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all fun and games until Bambi pops up outta nowhere. I've seen what a deer can do to a car anywhere from 30 mph up to 70. I wouldn't want to see what would happen faster than 70. Suffice to say, I bet it'd end the same way for the stunt driver as it does for Bambi. Also, deer don't care if your tires are bald or your suspension is stock.

One example of many things that can happen to super duper drivers.

Can anyone here spell "denial"??? ;)

While I'm sure such advice will be ignored, I really suggest you reevaluate your common driving habits...I've attended quite a few funerals of those who, by any objective measure, were VERY competent drivers who's skills were honed by lot's of time on track and who were driving vehicles who's capabilities were far beyond normal (and probably far beyond anything your are driving short of a race-prepared vehicle).

I don't care how good your skills or your vehicle's capabilities are or how good you think they are; triple digits speeds simply do not belong on a public highway.

with age comes wisdom!

I've done nothing reckless. When you drive a vehicle with an upgraded suspension and upgraded brakes it really does make the vehicle very much easier to drive. Very true, as some have pointed out, your reaction time is diminished the faster you go, but you can make up for it by driving a car that stops quicker and handles better. I do not neglect my car, it is always in top notch condition, I never run bald tires, I make sure that everything is as it should be. I am also very careful about where I chose to speed. If you catch me on the interstate I am at no time going more than 10 MPH over the speed limit. It is all about knowing where you can get away with it. I also have countless thousands of miles of track time. I never claimed to be the best driver in the world, far from it. As for 2 and 3 times the speed limit there are very remote roads close to where I live where you can see for miles yet the speed limit is 40, paying 100% attention to what I am doing I have no issues whatsoever running between 80-120 through there as long as no other traffic is around. This is also a location miles from any residences or anything else resembling civilization. By no means would I ever drive those speed in a neighborhood or other populated area. So go ahead and talk about laughing at someone else's misfortune, people get all bent out of shape over a little speeding in a remote area, but when you or your loved one is sending a text message and crosses the line and kills someone that will be okay because you were not speeding.

Why do I have a feeling this guy drives a civic with $30 eBay coilover sleeves on stock struts?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Why do I have a feeling this guy drives a civic with $30 eBay coilover sleeves on stock struts?

I don't know that I'd go that far. :rolleyes:

He may and his equipment may be just as capable as he describes (although I'm not sure I buy the "thousands of hours" on the track comment) - the problem is that he either doesn't understand, refusing to understand or just doesn't care that the driver and the vehicle is only part of the equation when looking at what speed is actually safe and the tradeoff between speed/risk.

I DO understand where he is coming from because I've been there...my current toy is a two seat sports car that can do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds/0-120 in 19 seconds, the quarter mile in 14 at 104 and has a top speed (governed) of 157. The car is bread for high performance driving; especially twisty/road course type driving...I KNOW how tempting it is to cruise along at 90+ or even into triple digits.

BUT...I have at least grown up enough to know how truly dangerous that is and grown up enough to not drive that way anymore on public roadways which is why I autocross and participate in other racing events where it's done in a controlled environment.

Ok yall have been trolled. Well sort of. I was trying to make a point and thought I would stir the pot a little as well so I have used some exaggerations such as speed. I was not exaggerating about track time, and I claimed thousands of miles, not hours. Really though I was just trying to make a point that speed limits are arbitrary. They have their place but there are some places and certain times the posted speed limit can be safely exceeded to an extent. Nothing we do is 100% fool proof, there are risks in everything, we just have to carefully calculate those risks and decide if it is worth it to take them. Not too many deer around here but plenty of pigs, wouldn't want to hit one of those at speed for sure. And Robert that is a very nice ride you have there.

Nice, but my cavalier was faster. ;)

Right; maybe with an LS1 stuffed in it but not stock it wasn't. ;)

Chevrolet 0-60 Times & Chevrolet Quarter Mile Times | Chevy Chevelle SS, Corvette ZO6 0-60, Cobalt, New Camaro 0-60, Blazer and Chevy Monte Carlo 0 to 60 stats!

[TABLE=class: excel1, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]1983 Chevrolet Cavalier 0-60 mph 13.0 Quarter mile 18.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1983 Chevrolet Cavalier CL 0-60 mph 12.2 Quarter mile 18.4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1985 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 0-60 mph 9.4 Quarter mile16.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1986 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 0-60 mph 8.4 Quarter mile 16.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 0-60 mph 8.2 Quarter mile 17.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1995 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 0-60 mph 10.8 Quarter mile 17.8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 0-60 mph 8.2 Quarter mile 15.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible 0-60 mph 8.6 Quarter mile 16.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 0-60 mph 7.6 Quarter mile 15.7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 0-60 mph 7.8 Quarter Mile 15.9[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by RobertNashville
Definitely not stock, nor LSx, but Turbo. 13.5@105. Now my LS6 car is 12.2@115. Those aren't online times, or should be magazine times, but actually taking them to the tracks.

I never bother to compare non-stock cares...it's a waste of time...I know many Z owners who's cars are putting down 600+ RWH so yes, they are faster than me (and the spent at least twice the cost of my car to get there) :)

Once you start modifying there are only two truly pertinent questions:

1) how fast do you want to go (or how much HP do you want), etc, etc.?

and

2) how much money do you have to spend?

The answer to No. 2 will of course, dictate the ultimate outcome :)