S & W Sigma .40 & 9mm

Guest SUNTZU

Guest SUNTZU

I was at Gander Mountain off Turkey Creek in Knoxville. They have several two tone S & W Sigmas in both .40 and 9mm on sale for $279.00. They come with four magazines a piece. I don't know if that is a good price, but it seemed to be when I searched S & W Sigma. That is all.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

Thats a good price. They had been 299.99 @ Acadmey sports then they went up to 329.00. Im not sure but they may still have a 50.00 rebate & 2 free mag rebate goin on to.

Guest mikedwood

I got one a short time ago and I don't think you can beat it for the price.

The main issue is the long trigger pull and I mean at the range I almost fall asleep before I get the trigger pulled (slightly kidding). It takes 8 or 11 pounds to engage it I think and after a 100 shots I can tell my finger had a workout.

I have read there is a trigger job you can do on them but haven't tried it yet.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/520103904/m/2711011482

The new ones the trigger pull feels real gritty I got mine used and apparently the gritty feel goes away after only a few rounds. Mine doesn't feel gritty at all.

At the range it did great for me about the same as my Glock 19, minus the different trigger. I don't think the S&W will hold up as long as the Glock though, but it was $200 less.

All in all I'd do it again.

To be quite honest I think that is a good price for that gun. Also to be honest I do not really understand the bad rap the Sigma has. I do not care about editions of the gun in the past. I am referring to the current SWVE models.

I have it in 9mm and I find it a delight to shoot. I see no trouble with the trigger. I am comforted by the fact that it takes apositive effort to pull the trigger.

At one of our meet and shoots I was able to shoot Dotsun's Glock (model something or other) and I cannot say I noticed much if any difference in the trigger pull. In fact I expected this Glock to feel exceptional after reading all the hoopla about them.

But it felt very similar to my Sigma. So maybe, just maybe the Sigma is exceptional as well. (this paragraph is not intended to become a reason to bash Glocks, we can do that in any thread, :D )

I do think the Sigma has an undeserved bad reputation, and if you are getting one for 279 I think that is a pretty good price.

yes 279 for any high-quality gun is GREAT! i never had a problem with my sigma except the trigger was heavier than i thought it should be. i had never had a semi-auto pistol before though so i had nothing to compare it to. my XD-45 is MUCH smoother and lighter though. also my HK usp in SA was much nicer, but pretty much the same i think in DA

Guest TNDixieGirl

It is a good price. I got mine new for $300 last year.

And I will never understand why people would compromise the safety of the gun by performing any "trigger job" on it. That long, heavy trigger IS the safety. I was comforted in knowing that it was going to take an intended pull on that trigger before it would fire. That is the only reason I keep a round in the chamber. If it was a light trigger, too big a chance of AD.

Gritty? Never have felt grit in mine.

Most of the people you hear bashing the Sigma 9VE, haven't even owned one.

Guest mikedwood

If you want to meet at Coal Creek and shoot mine that would be cool Suntzu. Just not on the weekends it's so busy.

I didn't mean my post to knock the trigger, I am getting use to it. I do mean to imply that the trigger on the SW 9V is different than most other guns I have handled. I don't think I will change mine as I'm getting to like it. That is a good point about not changing it TNdixieGirl, as the trigger is the safety.

One big help I found with it for me is, I'm still learning to shoot a pistol and some shots are good, some are not so good. I still have a tendency to anticipate recoil. I'm working hard on over coming it, I'm not afraid of the recoil but for whatever reason I pre-react sometimes. With the long trigger pull I can actually catch myself and back off and regroup so to speak.

The 1st few rounds I put through my 9V went almost at the bottom of the B-27 at 25 yards. I thought "this gun is crap, oh well" A friend was with me and he said it was me. It was. I was pulling the gun down with the trigger. I reshot and did much much much better.

I love the gun but feel the trigger could be an issue for some people. It was for me in the beginning. Would I sell it? Nope! I'm gonna have it for awhile. For the price and capacity it's unreal.

Edited by mikedwood
added some
Guest atomemphis

I have recently ordered one of these because of the price and incentives. The range reviews from guys at RangeUSA who have shot one are favorable. I thought I'd give DAO a try, with the price - why not?

Guest TNDixieGirl

I wasn't directing my response at anyone in particular. And I know the biggest complaint with the current Sigmas is the trigger. But it does exactly what it was meant to do. And since I'd never owned a gun prior to the Sigma, I didn't find any fault with it. After putting over 1,000 rounds in it, I still don't find any fault with it.

Over on my other forum folks CONSTANTLY roll in and out of there harping and whining about the trigger on the Sigmas and asking how to change it and do the "trigger job" blah blah blah. It gets old. Most times I just want to yell at them that if they want a short and light trigger, buy a different gun!!!

Guest db99wj

The trigger also gets better once it is broken in. I have seen new shooters, that have never owned a gun, but have shot a few, that bought one and have problems with accuracy and get frustrated. From what I have seen they are reliable shooters, and once the shooter gets comfortable and use to the trigger, and it eases up a bit after being broken in, they shoot good. I have never shot one, I have dry fired a brand new one and one that has been broken in....alot (rental) There is a difference in how the trigger is but with practice they seem to shoot good and their owners are a bit fanatical about it....:D:eek::P

Guest mikedwood
I wasn't directing my response at anyone in particular.

I didn't really think it was about my comments but wanted to make clear I wasn't a detractor about this gun cause I love mine. You know how things can come across on a forum board. And I did make a huge issue about the trigger.

Basically it looks like everyone here likes the gun for the price.

I wonder how it will hold up over time. It would be nice if this one were something my grand kids could shoot.

Guest atomemphis

I wonder how it will hold up over time. It would be nice if this one were something my grand kids could shoot.

Wolff Springs makes an aftermarket guide rod/recoil spring combo, with a harder metal guide rod - This makes me think that the factory guide rod is prone to wear, or this is overkill.

Guest mikedwood
Wolff Springs makes an aftermarket guide rod/recoil spring combo, with a harder metal guide rod - This makes me think that the factory guide rod is prone to wear, or this is overkill.

Looking at the guide rod/recoil spring on mine that may not be a bad spare part to have around.

Smith & Wesson holds the top spot for firearms manufactures. Their warranty and customer support has no equal in the industry.

However… when that discussion comes up the Sigma is always immediately brought up. It is S&W’s black eye.

It is mainly because of the trigger pull. I have shot the Sigma many times and I feel like I have to pull the trigger forever before the weapon fires. But if that is not an issue for you there isn’t anything wrong with the Sigma. As some have stated they like the long trigger pull.

Maybe you know someone that will let you fire one or you can rent one at a range. If your budget allows you might want to try the M&P also.

Smith & Wesson holds the top spot for firearms manufactures. Their warranty and customer support has no equal in the industry.

However… when that discussion comes up the Sigma is always immediately brought up. It is S&W’s black eye.

It is mainly because of the trigger pull. I have shot the Sigma many times and I feel like I have to pull the trigger forever before the weapon fires. But if that is not an issue for you there isn’t anything wrong with the Sigma. As some have stated they like the long trigger pull.

Maybe you know someone that will let you fire one or you can rent one at a range. If your budget allows you might want to try the M&P also.

I am ordering my M&P today. ^_^
Guest canynracer

I got an M&P two weeks ago, 40c...I love it...

I also have the 9ve...I love it as well, it is my range gun, I have over 2000 rds through it, no issues (except one time with steel cased ammo) I love the gun...

Trigger pull is harder than some, but no big deal, easy to get used to.

270 is a good price...you should go for it!

Guest tlondon

the full size sigmas are good reliable guns but stay away from the small "pocket" size sigmas (9mm and 380) not very accurate