Affordable scope for Mosin? i.e. pistol scope, etc

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take your word for the Brass Stacker. I refuse to watch Nutnfancy on YouTube. He can take 25 minutes to say what could be said in 5 by everyone else.

Good luck with your scope mount. I put a mount on the rear site of my Mauser and it works really well.

Here is the type of mount I went with.

mn21t.jpg

Here is an article on mounting it.

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/smount.htm

Edited by Westwindmike
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, sorry I didn't realize there were a couple of new posts in here.

I'll take your word for the Brass Stacker.

I haven't used one, but I like that it doesn't required a turned bolt like a lot of Mosin scope mounts, and also still allows use of the iron sights while it is mounted.

[i use a NC Star 7X32 pistol scope. Amazon and Ebay have them for 50 shipped.

I see they also make a 2-7x32. That may be a great option. Is there any reason you chose the fixed 7-power over an adjustable power, or was that just what was available at the time?

I may do a little more looking to see if there's any similar, say 3-15 power, that is still economical, but otherwise, the $50 mount and $50 scope oughta suit the $100 rifle just fine :-)

With the busy holiday period over, it's time to get back to this stuff.... :-)

There was a gentleman at the RK Gun Show in Williamson Expo a few weeks ago that had a scope and mount combo that was right around $100 for the complete package. I didn't have the cash at the time, but I got his email address and he said if I emailed him he could drop ship one my way. Looked to be pretty solid and a good adjustable power scope.

If I think of it, I'll grab his card tonight and PM it to you. He could probably give you pictures and good information.

The show's in the 'boro this weekend and I'll be going with cash in hand. If he's there, I'll be sure and post my thoughts on it once installed.

Edited by Viracnis
Corrected a few mistakes.
There was a gentleman at the RK Gun Show in Williamson Expo a few weeks ago that had a scope and mount combo that was right around $100 for the complete package. I didn't have the cash at the time, but I got his email address and he said if I emailed him he could drop ship one my way. Looked to be pretty solid and a good adjustable power scope.

If I think of it, I'll grab his card tonight and PM it to you. He could probably give you pictures and good information.

The show's in the 'boro this weekend and I'll be going with cash in hand. If he's there, I'll be sure and post my thoughts on it once installed.

Thanks - I am always looking for more options.

I went ahead and ordered a Brass Stacker mount last night, and it shipped early this morning!

Didn't know there was a show this weekend in the boro... I like to go browse and occasionally pick up a few odds and ends (got some gloves, boots, etc. there) but hate to pay the admission $10 per person if I only buy $20 worth of stuff! haha.

my wallet hates you for this post. u just made me order the brass stacker mount...some low profile rings...and this scope... NcSTAR Pistolero Rifle Scope - 2-7x32 Pistol Scope / Blue / Ring FREE S&H SPB2732B. NcSTAR Pistolero Riflescopes, NcSTAR Riflescopes.. ill give u guys a report after i get it in and have a chance to try it out.

Tell your wallet I am sorry ;-) what rings did you guys each go with? I would think any low profile are about the same, so aI low cost option sounds good to me!

My mount arrived a couple of days ago and appears very high quality. It has slotted mounting holes so it should fit any 91/30. However, my rifle was apparently was made with abnormally close holes in the site block, as they were closer together than the holes in the mount. I called TGR Enterprises to let them know, and they said that they have not seen an 91/30s with holes as close together as mine. They were genuinely concerned and glad to have the info to improve the product. Rather than ship the mount back to TGR so they could enlarge the slotted holes, I just did it myself. Nothing too major. The mount is now installed, along with the NcStar 2-7x32 scope (which came with its own rings, btw).

Aside from the abnormal hole spacing on my rifle, it was a very easy process to install. (My rifle did not have soldered pins - if yours does you will need some heat... torch, etc). Hope to have a range report this weekend... haven't checked the weather though.

Edited by Guest

While we're on the topic of cheap Mosin accessories, anyone know of a source for cheap stripper clips? Cheapest I've found on CTD or eBay is close to $1 a piece. Are there not millions upon millions of these surplus somewhere? Or did they not use many since the ammo in the spam cans wasn't on stripper clips anyway?

i got the mount and scope in today. brass stacker mount and ncstar 2-7 scope. my pins where soldered in and i had to heat them to get them out. only problem i ran into was adjustment in the scope. i had it maxed out and could not get it laser sighted. i had to loosen the mount and tweak it some, but got it where it needs to be. im going to shoot it this weekend. heres the pics

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

Range report is in! :cool:

Cold (~21 def F.), windy, and snow flurries.

Here are the three 5-shot groups I shot after zeroing in the scope. Each is at 100-yds. Bullet shown for dimension reference. Each target is 8.5x11". Forgot to take printed targets, so I had to improvise on the fly :-)

The first two groups are normal surplus 148gr ammo. The last group is 46gr training ammo (Bulgarian, IIRC). Very big difference in the recoil. Never shot the stuff before today so I wanted to give it a try.

Scope is NcStar 2-7x32 pistol scope, $42 on Amazon.

Scope mount is the Brass Stacker from TGR enterprises. I really like the mount. Since it lets you use the iron sights while it is mounted, I aimed the gun using the irons, then adjusted the scope to match, and the zero was pretty close with just a slight fine-tuning needed. I did fire some shots using the irons before these groups and they are still usable.

Keep in mind that I went to the pistol range first so by the time I shot these groups I had been in the 21 deg wind for about 90 mins. I'm a novice shooter as well. So the rifle may be capable of better than this.

DSC03514.jpg

DSC03515.jpg

DSC03516.jpg

Edited by Guest

beat me to it! im going to try mine out tomorrow. i have the same exact setup.

Looking forward to your report.

Is there some trick I am missing to getting the bayonett off? I fully depressed the button behind the "blade" portion, but can't get the whole thing to twist around the barrel.

Thanks

I'm currently building a Mosin for distance shooting, I'm not competing with it, just building it to learn the skill. I'm actually paying a lot more than I have in every other part of the rifle combined to put good glass on it. The way I figure the glass isn't permantley attached to the gun. So what if I have a $600 scope on a $70 rifle, I can always take it off and move it to something else if I so choose.