One of these Kahrs has got to go...

Guest RobTN

Which one should I keep?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I keep?

• Keep the K9 Elite
    • Keep the CW9

Guest RobTN

I'd been looking to add a Kahr to my collection for a few weeks and finally won an auction for a new CW9 on gunbroker.com. The next day one of the members from here on tngunowners.com contacted me with a K9 Elite for sale. To make a long story short, I am now the proud owner of TWO Kahrs. I don't need two Kahrs in the same caliber, size, etc., so I want you guys to help me decide which one to keep and which to let go. I have compared the two in several relevant areas listed below (in no particular order). Do you agree/disagree with my assessments of each factor? What factors have I failed to consider? Which one would you keep and why?

K9_Elite_vs_CW9.JPG

Trigger - K9 Elite has a better, smoother, lighter trigger pull. The CW9 is certainly not *bad* but I can feel the difference in the Elite trigger.

Weight - CW9 is lighter by 7.3ozs. (from kahr.com: K9 - 23.1ozs & CW9 - 15.8ozs) The K9 Elite is HEAVY. For reference the K9 Elite weighs more than a full size Glock 34 and the CW9 weighs less than a compact Glock 26 (form glock.com: 22.92ozs & 19.75ozs respectively).

Fit and finish - K9 Elite hands down. This thing is nice. Polished slide, great attention to detail even internally with no machining marks, etc.

Sights - K9 Elite has night sights and is dovetailed to make the sights replaceable. CW9 has neither of these features. I don't plan to replace the factory sights on the CW9, but it might be nice to have the ability to do so.

Magazine capacity - Tie. Both use the same 7 round magazines.

Concealability - Even though both guns share the same length, width, and height, the CW9 has the edge due to its lighter weight.

Recoil - K9 Elite has less felt recoil due to additional weight and Hogue factory grips.

Grip - I prefer the CW9 with Hogue Handall Jr. installed but otherwise the K9 Elite wins with Hogue factory grips.

Purchase price - I got the CW9 for less than I paid for the K9 Elite.

Resale value - K9 Elite (from kahr.com MSRP: K9 Elite 2003 (9098NA) - $1054 vs. CW9 (9093) - $533) If I sold the K9 Elite it would put more cash in the gun fund for later than if I sold the CW9.

Durability - Both guns have a stainless steel slide, but the K9 Elite with the steel frame and machined parts wins over the polymer frame and MIM parts in my opinion, although it's certainly open do debate.

Reliability - I haven't owned either of these guns long enough to make the call here, but both seem to function 100% of the time from what I can tell. Call it a tie for now.

Thanks in advance for your input. - RobTN

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like all you're categories, it is mainly the Elite winning. I say stay with that one. Plus, while the Elite may bring more money, the CW is in a better market price wise. It will be easier to sell. Not sure if that matters, though.

Guest .45Jon
Plus, while the Elite may bring more money, the CW is in a better market price wise. It will be easier to sell. Not sure if that matters, though.

I agree nate, but my vote is for keeping the CW9 for its lighter weight for carry, oh and b/c I own and carry one too :)

Guest RobTN

A dead tie at 8 votes each. I guess I need to invest more range time then make the call. Thanks to everyone for the input. - Rob

Guest ibavol

I own both and shoot both. Unless you need to sell, I would keep both. The K9 is a better shooter, better trigger, more sight options and it conceals very well in a MTAC IWB. The CW9 is lighter but a still little big for pocket carry but not impossible with cargo pants/shorts. I've actually pocket carried both on different occasions.

I will likely never sell my K9 unless I have too. It is one of the best pistols I've ever owned.

I vote to keep both. If one has to go..I would keep the K9 IMHO.