Survival Fiction: Union Creek Journal

I posted this in the Adrian's Undead Diary thread in the Zombie forum, but since it's not Zombie fiction, I felt it could use it's own thread.

The author is on another forum I am on, and he is writing a pretty neat survival/EOTWAWK based piece of fiction in journal form. Feel free to check it out. I like these kinds of fiction pieces to help take me outside of my normal box of survival thinking and see how someone else views the process and preparation.

The Union Creek Journal

Enjoy :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mudinyeri

Hey, David. Thanks for posting this. You guys showed up on my top referrers yesterday so I thought I'd stop by for a visit.In case you hadn't guessed, I'm the author of The Union Creek Journal. I started it as an experiment to determine a couple things. First, I wanted to know if the crap that I write has any mass appeal. Second, I wanted to play around with the online, flash-fiction format and see how I liked it.Please feel free to make comments on the blog site. There is a Leave Comment link at the top of each entry. If others have already commented, the link will change to "with X comments". Also, if you click on the title of an entry, you will be taken to that entry's unique page where you can read and make comments.All this is free. I only ask that you pass it along to your friends, like David did, if you like it. Forums, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter ... it doesn't matter.One last thing ... if you want to catch up from the beginning, the easiest way to do so is to go to the chronological page: The Union Creek Jounral Entries in Chronological Order « The Union Creek Journal Each entry is listed in chronological order (they're in reverse chronological order on the main page) and none of the "non-essential" blog posts are listed.Enjoy!Toby

Interesting piece of fiction.

The main character is way better off going into it all that 99.9% of us could possibly be.

But i do enjoy reading teotwawki scenarios.

You're right, but in a way - I kind of like reading a story for a change that doesn't involve the main characters totally (or mostly) unprepared. It is kind of nice to move past the SHTF initial scramble and skip straight to the strategies for surviving, and hopefully thriving.

Then again, even the well-prepared protagonist is running short on TP - priceless!

Guest Mudinyeri
Wasn't expecting you to show up here, lol - but I guess I should have expected it!

I try to drop in and say hello to new referral sites - whether they be forums, blogs or otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

So anyone else following along? I am liking the different perspectives he is throwing in to the story line.

I got addicted, I'm 3/4 of the way through what's there. There went the afternoon ...

Can't help but see many parallels with Rawles' Patriots, but has plenty of its own character to justify a good read. I find the pacing to be biggest allure, so much happening in very compressed time frame -- whether that's realistic is moot, since the very nature of the genre can only be speculative.

Kudos, Toby!

- OS

Guest ochretoe

I'm cought up on the story. It's kinda fun checking everyday to see if a new entry is in. I like the side stories as much as the main line. It's pretty well written and very well thought out.

Guest Mudinyeri

Sorry I haven't stopped in for a while, guys. Life has been hectic. Hopefully, you have been enjoying the story. The crescendo is rising. Lots of stuff happening all at once. Parallel lines are beginning to merge.

If you're having trouble tracking all the characters, I put up a Character Biographies page. You can access it from the main menu at the top of the page. Right now, it just has the Johnson clan on it, but I'll be adding to it.

Be prepared!

I just started reading today. It's pretty good writing, kind of reminded me of a couple Dean Koontz novels without the supernatural in it. And I was exceedingly glad to read that the character is God-fearing. Without faith in our Maker, contemplating the subject matter would lead down the road to insanity. I read the latest and then started at the beginning. I just finished "The Hunt" and the only thing that put a ? in my head was the deer moving from bedding to food in the morning. Or maybe I just misunderstood.

Keep up the good work! Do you think that you could work Project Appleseed into the story?

Thanks,

Charlie

Edited by TNdad
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Mudinyeri

Glad everyone's still enjoying The Journal. As you've probably noticed, the story lines are starting to inter-twine. Stay tuned and stock up on toilet paper! ;)