Change in locations where HCP can be applied for or renewed

Here is an apparent change of which others may or may not be aware. Maybe this info will help someone avoid missing out on the deadline to renew their HCP.

A few weeks back I went into the Driver's License center located in West Knoxville to change the address on my DL. This was the location where I originally applied for my HCP a little over three years ago. While there, I mentioned that my HCP expires this August and wondered what I needed to do if I wanted to renew in person once I hit the six months out mark (I'd prefer to do that rather than by mail just so I will have the receipt in case there are any unforeseen delays.) I found out that now, in Knoxville, one has to go to the Strawberry Plains location in order to renew an HCP. To me, this is kind of ridiculous as Strawberry Plains is about half a mile from nowhere from just about any direction. In fact, the true community of Strawberry Plains (which does not lie at the Interstate exit so labled) is in Sevier County - or maybe it is actually Jefferson County by that point, I can't recall exactly. When I lived closer, I was the branch manager of the Carter Branch of the Knox County Public Library so I can say with certainty that area is the extreme edge of Knox County. I don't understand why someone should have to go there to conduct a simple renewal. I can maybe understand folks having to go there to initially apply but I don't see why any DL station couldn't handle a renewal. After all, if it can be done by mail why couldn't any DL center handle it in person?

As I actually now live in Roane County, I will probably end up going to the Rockwood location (which is on the Dept. of Safety's list of full service DL centers.) Yeah, Rockwood is also about half a mile from nowhere but it is a lot closer, for me, than Strawberry Plains with less traffic in between and will probably be less busy. The PITA is that doing either will pretty much require taking a day off from work just to take care of maybe ten minutes worth of business. As my work place is just off of Lovell Road, if the center in West Knoxville still did this I could just leave work a little early and stop by the DL center one day.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that it had to be a full service center for initial application and for renewal.

Is the location in west Knox full service?

I was under the impression that it had to be a full service center for initial application and for renewal.

They are but I think they get so overwhelmed with Driver license tests that they just stopped doing HCP's which is silly because an HCP takes quite literally 5 minutes of time to complete including the photo. You literally fill out the application, wait, turn it in and pay $110 and get the form so you can be printed. Then stand in line (again) to take your photo.

That being said...if you go to the DMV there, prepare to WAIT at least an hour unless you're one lucky person or you go as soon as they open. I don't know what's up with the amount of people with suspended driver's licenses here in town, but OMG is an understatement for the amount that show up there on a daily basis.

Your right about one thing...the Strawberry Plains exit is actually still Knox County and has a zipcode of 37914...Strawberry Plains (the town) is actually about 10 miles from the interstate. I know it's not in Sevier county though so it must be Jefferson County.

Edited by wcsc12
Guest dubaholic2

i say do it by mail. i did mine that way and it was totally painless. i got a letter in the mail about a week after i sent in my renewal fee stating that it was being processed and to keep that letter as my proof. a couple weeks later i got my new permit. i dont go to the dmv for anything anymore.

AFAIK you are supposed to be able to apply or renew at any DL station. Now in some counties where DL stuff is done at a clerk's office in the courthouse or something you can't. When the HCP law first went into effect, Yes, you could only apply at full-service stations, one reason was because they took the fingerprints right there.

If you really want to do it there....I would try to get conformation from higher up and/or contact your state Rep or Sen.

Although not as bad as in the past...you can still find DOS workers that don't know the rules/laws of HCPs.

AFAIK you are supposed to be able to apply or renew at any DL station. Now in some counties where DL stuff is done at a clerk's office in the courthouse or something you can't. When the HCP law first went into effect, Yes, you could only apply at full-service stations, one reason was because they took the fingerprints right there.

If you really want to do it there....I would try to get conformation from higher up and/or contact your state Rep or Sen.

Although not as bad as in the past...you can still find DOS workers that don't know the rules/laws of HCPs.

I think the rules changed. As I said, I did my initial application at the West Knox location (before they moved) but they apparently don't do anything with HCPs anymore. At first, I figured the employee who told me I'd have to go to Strawberry Plains was wrong so I actually looked it up on the Department of Safety website. Under the FAQs about renewal it actually does say that to do so in person one has to go to a full service DL center and there is a link to a list of full service centers. The ONLY full service center listed in Knox County is Strawberry Plains so, to answer someone's question from a previous post, no, apparently the West Knoxville location is not a full service location.

Nope, at least not anymore (if they ever were.) I guess when they got that nice, new building they figured they should stop actually providing the services people might need (they were still in their old location close to Cedar Bluff when I originally applied for my HCP there.)

Shoulda just done it by mail. Fast and painless.

Maybe I will. I am not even eligible for renewal until next month - I just wanted to find out what I needed to do while I was in there the other day (this is my first time renewing.) When I first got mine, it was taking them forever to issue permits and forever + a day to issue renewals. The wife of the instructor for my carry class had applied for renewal at the 'six months before expiration' mark and still hadn't received her renewal at the time of our class which was two months after her HCP expiration date (yes, eight months and she still hadn't received her renewal) and, based on what I heard from others, her experience was not unique or even all that uncommon. Luckily, she had the receipt to allow her to legally carry until the renewal arrived. I guess I am just a little leery of something like that happening and would rather have the receipt in hand at time of payment/renewal application.

Edited by JAB
I think the rules changed. As I said, I did my initial application at the West Knox location (before they moved) but they apparently don't do anything with HCPs anymore. At first, I figured the employee who told me I'd have to go to Strawberry Plains was wrong so I actually looked it up on the Department of Safety website. Under the FAQs about renewal it actually does say that to do so in person one has to go to a full service DL center and there is a link to a list of full service centers. The ONLY full service center listed in Knox County is Strawberry Plains so, to answer someone's question from a previous post, no, apparently the West Knoxville location is not a full service location.

Yep caught that myself. Maybe the deal is I've only been to Full Service stations as there is not one period (not even at clerk's office) in the county I live in and I didn't really know the difference between one that is full service and one that is not.

In the past I have always gone to a DL station...an hour drive, because I wanted to walk out with the receipt for renewal just in case it took too long. But based on post here, it appears it doesn't take long at all by mail now, so I may do it that way also next time around...