Kahr CM9 Range Report

dbla

Okay guys, I've got a range report for ya!The CM9 came in yesterday, I spent the morning waiting for UPS loading 200 rounds of 9mm FMJ 115gr. Kahr, as you probably know, suggest a 200rd break-in period before you consider them reliable. Makes sense to me. Last night I spent the evening introducing my wife to Ridley Scott's Alien and racking the CM9's slide a couple hundred times. This morning I got up, cleaned the gun lubed it, etc etc. Over on Kahrtalk.com they have some "steps" to prep your new Kahr so I did most of those...Today, I headed up to G&L in Hendyville, picked up a box of 50 115gr Sellier and Belliot JHP that I'll carry once I have broke the gun in. I looked at Hornady Critical Defense, and the guy handed me the Z-Max stuff too.. I just can't justify 22$ for 20 rounds when I can get 50 rounds for the same price... A hollow point is a hollow point the way I figure (sacrilege I know). Went downstairs, hung up my targets, and went to work.First impressions: Holy ***** this gun is accurate out of the box... I used to have both a Ruger LCP and a Kel Tec PF9, neither hold a candle to this gun. It's very obvious that Kahr is Johnny Walker Blue to Kel Tec's So Co. The recoil is VERY manageable, follow up shots are no sweat. I punched the center out of all my targets, keep in mind this gun is out of box, Kahr says not to worry about accuracy till you're 200 rounds in, and I'm not that great of a shot.I had 2 failures in the 200-230 rounds the first was the slide failed to lock back when the mag was empty, a common Kahr break-in problem... no sweat. And a little later on when I was running some of the S&B jhp's through the slide failed to go into battery once, a light tap and it clicked... I think that was probably due to how dirty the gun was after over 200 rounds, but we'll see.To sum it all up: I love this gun. (I gotta type this quietly because the Glock is on my hip and I don't wanna hurt it's feelings) but it was a pleasure to shoot, a lot more fun at the range than either the Ruger or Kel Tec ever were. Any questions??

6778268895_94c0c696a5_z.jpg

Edited by dbla
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your Kahr, I've had mine since October, slide failed to lock back twice in 200 rounds but that is all with 450 through it now. The Kahr prep list is what I have done to every firearm I have owned, never fired one out of the box. Check local for spare mags, with shipping on an Internet buy and tax on a LGS ordering them I only paid a buck more from a local guy.

It also eats Hornday CD just like ball. Enjoy you have a little jewel.

Joe W.

Mine hasn't had a failure yet. 200 rounds in one session the first time out wasn't exactly fun though!

The CM must not quite have the same recoil characteristics of the PM.

200 through the PM9 isn't objectionable at all. A big reason the Kahr has it all over many other small guns, like KT PF9, heck even KT and Ruger .380.

- OS

Guest bkelm18

200 through the PM9 isn't objectionable at all. A big reason the Kahr has it all over many other small guns, like KT PF9, heck even KT and Ruger .380.

- OS

Can't imagine how it would be different, unless the rifled barrel vs. the octagonal barrel has more felt recoil.

- OS

The only reason it was objectable was because the trigger guard wore a hot spot on my trigger finger where it rubbed when I pulled it. The recoil was no big deal.

I love my Kahr PM9 but did not like the way the magazines stuck out the bottom of the grip. To me it looks like bad after thought and design. So, I painted the bottom 1/3 of both my 6 round magazines Krylon Satin finish black. The weapon looks SO much better now.

I don't ever use the extra 7 round that came with the gun. It looks like an even larger mistake in a gun of this price range and class!

I got a CM9 in November. Still waiting on my free 7 round magazine from the rebate offer. I haven't got mine past the 200 round mark yet. I need to look up on the Kahr forum to see what this break in technique is you mentioned. Overall I think it is the best micro 9mm I have shot. You sure can't complain about the price.

Guest bkelm18
I need to look up on the Kahr forum to see what this break in technique is you mentioned.

There's really nothing to it. You just clean and lube it, and rack the slide about 500 times.

Guest D.Holliday

Picked my CM9 up a couple of weeks ago. Finally had a chance to clean it today.

Only had a chance to shoot it 10 times. Really liking it though.

Guest bkelm18

Got my CM9 out to the range today for the first time. I must say that it is the most pleasant pocket pistol I've shot. 200 rnds was no problem. I've owned a Kel-Tec PF9 which was almost unbearable to shoot (IMO of course). Only had one FTF about halfway through the session, but other than that it ran perfectly. Really pleased with this little gun.

I have only shot about 100 rounds thru my PM9, no problems at all. I have a laser guard on the front and it is hard getting use to dot,since I have used sights for so many years. Group size at 10yds is less than 2" and centered on target. I believe one of the best and most reliable conceal carries there is. I had the PM40 and its recoil was not bad, alot lighter than the Glock 27.