Race to the bottom: how low in price can you go building an AR from pieces/parts?

QuietDan

• 3 weeks later...
I am hearing that PSA is going to stop doing retail sale on complete guns and lowers. Just too much paperwork involved they say...

Where did you hear that? It's not true at all. I just texted my buddy at PSA and asked him if there was any truth to that and his response was "rofl *insert picture of a box of completed lowers* there are many more like this next to it".

Whoever told you that is just talking to hear themselves talk...

Edited by jdi731

I recently built my AR with the help of a few friends, gun shows and Brownells for about $550 total. That was the easy part. Then I realizied that the items I had received from friends (forearm/grip/butstock) for dirt cheap weren't really what I wanted. So then I bought the items I really wanted, added a PA microdot, changed out the front gas block and then realizied I now had about $750 into the AR I really wanted to begin with. Building a general truck beater type AR can be cheap, but building the one you want will be expensive.

Edited by kwe45919

I have been trying to find the site that had the breakdown of the $400 AR I printed it out one day and checked the prices they listed for all the parts and it would work if you were patient. I think getting a plumbcrazy lower was the key. The site had the complete list of items needed with the highest you could pay and stay under 400. I found some of the parts cheaper and which would allow for upgrades in other places. The other major expence in the build was the BCG. If I find it again I will post it.

While looking for the cheap AR site I ran across this setup

Wepon Systems International complete upper $299 w/free shipping

New Frontier Armory complete lower $99-5% for TGO= 94.95 w/free shipping

transfer and TICS $35

For a total of $428.95

Not $400 but darn close and a lot less work

I built one for pretty cheap right after Obama got elected (I know, bad timing for an AR build). Just to get started, I skimped on price on some parts (stripped lower, stripped upper, handguards, stock, etc.), but I spent more (still not a lot) on a good BCG and barrel. I have put 1000++ steel rounds through this gun without one malfunction, and I have never regretted spending a few dollars more for a good bolt and barrel. I have switched out most of the 'cheap' parts for better stuff, and it's a completely different rifle now.

Tools:

A lot of smart and resourceful people on this board.

How low in price can you go building an AR from pieces/parts? I don't know if this has been dissected on the forum. The solution may be a moving target.

I'd sure like to know a total dollar outlay for a minimal functioning .223 AR, and would be very interested in a parts list or hints if they are not state secrets. What minimal tools are required? Is there one book versus another that spells it all out?

Of course, pictures of your AR would be way cool, as well as a certain amount of justified bragging.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/

• Like 1

transfer and TICS $35

For a total of $428.95

That upper is without a CH and BCG I think. So add another 125$

transfer and TICS $35

For a total of $428.95

Well minus my transfer fee that would be $404.95. Nice that would def be a beater truck gun.

JeffSig, it looks in the picture to have a CH and BCG. Who knows maybe it doesn't

BluewaterTacticalDefense

Edited by BluewaterTactical

I think you can buy a good AR as cheap or cheaper than you can build one. The benefit to building is being able to spread the costs over time, learning something new, having something very custom, or all of the above.

About as cheap as I would go for an upper build ($486 with a BCM bolt):

Upper Receiver $100: http://www.bravocomp...r%20-m4%202.htm

Basic charging handle $22: http://www.bravocomp...ndle%20ar15.htm

16" Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine - M4 Type Barrel Assembly $225: http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=7

BCG $139: http://www.bravocomp...20auto%20mp.htm

Edited by Batman

transfer and TICS $35

For a total of $428.95

I called and the WSI upper does have BCG.

That's def cheap! What site is that??