You are the FTF buyer, any paperwork involved?

I've purchased a few guns via a FTF transaction, and I simply call the Metro Police Dept. to find out if the gun has been reported stolen. They've never given me any trouble.

Now that I think about it, I also did this another time in Overton County. I called the OCSD. No troubles with them either.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

All I can say is im not signing anything as a buyer or seller. Im kinda like mike on that aspect. I will ask to see if they are a TN resident but to be honest I havent sold a gun to anyone I didnt already know.

Okay, so you come into my fictional gun shop with a weapon. You want me to run the numbers on it for you. I run the numbers and find the gun is reported stolen. do I give it back to you? Do I call police for them to come speak to you? I am just not sure whats in it for me as a fictional gun shop owner. Why would I want to involve myself in something that does not aid my business? I do not take the financial risk of operating a business to get involved with stolen firearms. The police will be happy to run the numbers for you I believe.

we run numbers free of charge and out of curtisy for our customers. But, you have to bring the gun in and be present to do so. You also have to understand that if its stolen you will lose the gun and the police will have to know where you got it. Since you are volunteering this information there is no criminal intent involved so you shouldnt be sharged as long as you cooperate with them.

We have taken lots of guns that were stolen off the streets. Even one that was used to kill a police officer in the line of duty. Several of the stolen guns were returned to the owners, and I actually got a phone call one day from the original owner thanking me for being a responsible shop owner and running the number... that gun had been in his family for many years and was pricless to him.... It made him and us really happy.

I've purchased a few guns via a FTF transaction, and I simply call the Metro Police Dept. to find out if the gun has been reported stolen. They've never given me any trouble.

Now that I think about it, I also did this another time in Overton County. I called the OCSD. No troubles with them either.

good for you, but its against NCIC/TCIC guidelines to do it like that. They are supposed to be in possession of the item they are running, or be in a position to immediatly take possession of it.

Guest Mugster
we run numbers free of charge and out of curtisy for our customers. But, you have to bring the gun in and be present to do so. You also have to understand that if its stolen you will lose the gun and the police will have to know where you got it. Since you are volunteering this information there is no criminal intent involved so you shouldnt be sharged as long as you cooperate with them.

We have taken lots of guns that were stolen off the streets. Even one that was used to kill a police officer in the line of duty. Several of the stolen guns were returned to the owners, and I actually got a phone call one day from the original owner thanking me for being a responsible shop owner and running the number... that gun had been in his family for many years and was pricless to him.... It made him and us really happy.

This would be the kind of guy i'd do business with, personally.

I am just not sure whats in it for me as a fictional gun shop owner. Why would I want to involve myself in something that does not aid my business? .

Public service, Karma, Helping out a fellow gun lover that has had his collection stolen in a burglary, Customer Service…… pick one. :D

<O:p</O:p

Guest canynracer
If you go down to the station and ask them to run a check on your gun they'll probably hold you up just for asking. Then if it is found the gun is stolen you'll probably be locked up. It is probably best just to hold on to the gun and not say anything unless you know for sure it was used in a crime and if you know for sure #1 why did you buy it? #2 why not just drop it into the lake?

If you "hold on to the gun and not say anything" and use that gun to defend yourself, well, now they are gonna run it....then you may be questioned for a loooong time...(not arrested)

You will not be booked unless you committed a crime...

they run the numbers, if it comes back hot, they keep the gun, ask you where you got it, so on and so forth (another reason to have a document that shows where you got it :D , you hand the doc to the police, tell them you just bought it from that person, and you leave empty handed)...common sense says that bad guys are not walking into Police stations with a gun to see if it is stolen, or used in a crime...Cops use this common sense...

Edited by canynracer
triple digit, do you do this before or after purchase?

Glad to know there is no problem apparently.

Most of the time it was done before I purchased the gun. The only time it was "after" is when my father gave me a Ruger .357 Blackhawk that he'd purchased from a truck driver. After finding out where/who he purchased it from, I called to have the number checked.

good for you, but its against NCIC/TCIC guidelines to do it like that. They are supposed to be in possession of the item they are running, or be in a position to immediatly take possession of it.

I'm not doubting you one bit. I wasn't aware of any laws that required them to have possession of the firearm. Obviously, it's not beyond LEO's to break the law.

I just tell them that I'm interested in purchasing a firearm, and I'd like to make sure it's not stolen.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Public service, Karma, Helping out a fellow gun lover that has had his collection stolen in a burglary, Customer Service…… pick one.

good thing for yall you ain't counting on me to be your friendly FFL then.