Looking for my first Revolver & Holster

alwaysonjohn

I have always been against revolvers but the Ruger Super Redhawk .44Mag Alaskan 2.5" caught my eye. I was just wanting something for going on trails or camping in the BACKWOODS of east TN or Alaska. Anyways I was looking for advise on this gun or a similar gun (small and .44mag) and what holsters I should be looking at. I want an iwb or something to cover it for inside a backpack.

Thanks guys,

John

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an Alaskan, but I can tell you that Ruger makes nice 44's. I have two Super Blackhawks in 44mag and shoot them a lot. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with Redhawks or the Alaskan.

I had my eye on a 44 snub a while back from S&W. I think it was a 629 with 2.5" or 3" barrel (can't really remember). It was also available with 4" bbl.

Taurus also makes the Tracker 44mag in 2" barrel. The Taurus is smaller and cheaper, but I would stick with the Ruger or S&W for a woods gun.

Edited by Batman
Guest DocProton

I own a Ruger LCR .38. I love the trigger and the light weight. If I had it to do over would I get the 357 version? Maybe but probably not. I read so many posts stating they can't handle the 357 and shoot 38 +P in their LCR. that being said, the slightly heavier 357 version would handle the +P better. I am very happy with my 38 LCR and highly recommend it. As I see it, 357 or 38 is not a major issue if you place your first two shots well.

Always define the mission for a field gun you intend to carry in the wood's. In most cases a 22 pistol or revolver is all you will ever need. Now if you start considering something for protection then factor in the possible threat. Unless your in bear country a .357 magnum in a 3" or 4" barrel will do everything you need. You can shoot flares or snake rounds through it, 38 special and 357 Magnum. I'm all about S&W K frames but would recommend the fixed sight 3" barrel GP100 to fill this bill. Now if your in bear country a .44 Magnum's still going to be a bit on the light side so I'd prefer to have at least a 4" barrel. The Redhawk is a fine choice but I'd sooner have a Single Action Ruger witha 4 5/8" barrel. Go with an OWB holster with a thumb break or flap to secure the revolver.