Maybe two guns now...

Guest Welshdragon

Guest Welshdragon

So the plan was for a Glock 19 until we went to the range yesterday. Wife tried a Bersa Thunder .380 and loved it. Personally I thought it was a bit small for me although very accurate. I tried a 1911 (only shot a G19 before) felt like a small cannon.

So one .380 is on the to-do list, and now another pistol for me. Still leaning towards a glock, but not sure if I want something bigger than 9mm.

Totally new to all this, so any suggestions.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Shoot whatever you feel comfortable with. In addition to a Glock, I'd suggest trying the S&W M&P series as well as the Springfield XD's. All are good polymer guns. I personally like 9mm because it's cheap (relatively) to shoot though I carry a .45 on occasion.

The Bersa Thunder 380 is a well made pistol, they also make a very nice polymer framed 9mm with an excellent trigger as well. It's all about what you want to spend your money on, not what everyone else try's to tell you to buy. The G-19 is an excellent pistol, but from what I've seen so far so is the S&W M&P 9, I suggest you take your time and do a lot of window shopping.

Look at the Smith and Wesson M&P 45c. It is about the same size has a G19. To me, recoil is VERY managable. I'd rather shoot it than a .40 when it comes to felt recoil. Its gonna take some trigger time with any gun to get profecient. Thats the advantage of 9mm--cheaper ammo while training.

I'd throw the Ruger SR9c in the mix as well. I chose it over the S&W M&P 9 compact because it felt better in my hands to me, but it was a very close call. The Glock 19 is also a nice pistol, and I may buy one someday, but it won't be because I love the way it feels in my hands. I know you can get a new SR9c for less than the Glock, and you can probably get the S&W M&P 9 compact for less too.

Try a glock 26 in the mix as well i think thier everybit as accurate as a 19 in a smaller package.I have both and pefer the 26 but if i buy anymore handguns personally thier gonna be American made

I always admired the look of a PPK but at the time did not want to shell out the money so I opted for a nickel Thunder .380. It was a great gun, I loved how it shot. I read an article a couples years back on how it was more accurate than the Sig and the Walther. I also recommended it to a friend of mine and he loved his too but has since traded it four times over. Now that Hornady has the Critical Defense line for .380, IMO you can't go wrong with the Bersa.

Round up all you friends, or spare cash and rent a bunch, and shoot them all.

Nothing replaces your own personal interaction with a gun, and just 'cause Glock is the flavor of the month, or a 1911 is romantisized doesn't mean it will work for you.

Your ability to control a SD gun is far more important than whether it is 9mm, 40, 45 or 50. Shoot what you enjoy and you'll shoot it better.