Defensive Pistol Training for the Family?

My wife and I have carry permits and I have been shooting recreationally on/off all my life. On a handful of occasions my kids, in earlier years (now 11 & 13), have fired a crappy little .25 (Sat Night Spec) semi auto that jams every 5th round, a .22 rifle as well as my dad’s M1 Carbine. They’re not really “into†it. As far as my wife goes she just wants to test fire her .38 hammerless S&W revolver to make sure it works then plans to stick it under the car seat ( I know, I know). I like to shoot old battle rifles and shoot em often. I have various handguns that I will fire and cycle but I am not very good on target so I get bored and blow it off. The three times I’ve done IDPA (great fun) I’m always at or close to last place.

I would probably be a candidate for a more advanced pistol training class but I wonder if there are any ranges or shooting schools/programs that offer some kind of family/household training. I can show my kids how to shoot but they get bored quickly and I want a professional hands-on experience for them (and for me). What should an 11 year old do if a stranger kicks in the door? Where should we keep them? Pick it up and do what? I would want them to run drills like open a desk, drawer pick it up, check the safety and fire down range. That sort of stuff.

I'm in the Nashville area. Any ideas or services?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lowbuster

I've been shooting my dad says sinceI was four. A bit to young but I do remember shooting my first m1. Dad had to help me hold it. Any time I get a new handgun I start at about ten feet from target. Empty gun move back a few feet etc. I've taught many people to shoot this way. My wife gas .357 model 640 ( no hammer) can't hit anything. But my .38 bodyguard recessed hammer revolver is different story. As for children getting bored,I make if fun. Buy cheap case of soft drink cans,shake,shoot = instant fun

Edited by Lowbuster