• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tlondon

i am using titegroup an i printed the measurements off the hodgtons website. what i found on there for 115gn jacketed HP powder starts at 4.5 and maxes out at 4.8

Guest canebreaker

A little difference here. I'm loading a 124 gr. rn lead bullet with the loadmaster. The powder disk is 4.4 gr. of bullseye. But my scales say 3.9 gr.

The first 150 loads were at 4.0 gr. but measured 3.5 gr. So the disk don't measure what they are suppose to.

I shot 500 rounds sunday, the first ones had a few hang ups. But the rest shot fine.

Dang, can't light load them like I do the 38.

A little difference here. I'm loading a 124 gr. rn lead bullet with the loadmaster. The powder disk is 4.4 gr. of bullseye. But my scales say 3.9 gr.

The first 150 loads were at 4.0 gr. but measured 3.5 gr. So the disk don't measure what they are suppose to.

I shot 500 rounds sunday, the first ones had a few hang ups. But the rest shot fine.

Dang, can't light load them like I do the 38.

Correct, the disks are way off, you cannot use their charts. You have to weigh them and pick the closest fit. They are linear however. If you figure out for example the the .54 disk is 5 grains of powder X, then the 1.10 disk is going to be right at 10 grains. So, really, you only have to do 3 things to get your load right from the disk system:

1) put in any disk with your powder, and weigh / average say 10 charges of it. Always run the disk device 3-4 times to ensure flow and all, so the first couple of charges out of it may be off.

2) compute a ratio of disk size to powder grains. So if .54 is 5 grains, and you want 6.2 grains: .54/5.0 X 6.2 = .67 so you want the closest disk hole to .67. If that does not exist, you go up or down as you see fit or you have to use another type of powder... there are some loads where it is simply not possible to pick a disk to provide a load you want. This is most common with hot powders --- when trying to work with something that is say 3.2 to 4.0 from starter to "dont go there" loads... there may only be one disk choice and that might be 3.4 grains and fail to cycle your gun, the next one might be 4.5 grains. There are just not enough holes with enough fine grain changes to work with this type of hot powder.

3) pick the disk you computed. Throw and weigh 10 charges again to verify that you did not mess up and that it is what you expected. Done.