Finally done with my CZ 82 after much work

gjohnsoniv

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just need to finish my grips. Got hold of a nice piece of Walnut the other day, and cut the outlines out tonight.

Any way you could post details and maybe even pics as you go through the grip making process? Cutting and shaping the grips should be pretty simple but I can't figure out how in the heck to mark and then cut the inlets, grooves and so on that are on the interior side (the side that faces the gun) that I see on most handgun grips. IIRC, the grips for the 82 have some, such features.

Yeah no problem. I think those are for support and rigidity, not for any other function. That's my take at least but maybe someone will come along tell us otherwise. The only reason I think that is because it's not a solid piece of plastic, it's rather thin.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Any way you could post details and maybe even pics as you go through the grip making process? Cutting and shaping the grips should be pretty simple but I can't figure out how in the heck to mark and then cut the inlets, grooves and so on that are on the interior side (the side that faces the gun) that I see on most handgun grips. IIRC, the grips for the 82 have some, such features.

Well I finally understand what you mean. I started working on that just a little while ago. I don't have access to a mill so I'm setting the depth on my Dremel grout removal tool (the round thing that screws on) and routing it that way. I messed up though so I think I am going to have to start over on one of the grip scales. What I'm thinking now is start over and mill my blanks before shaping them so I have a perfectly level surface versus trying to level it some other way.

I'm thinking now that I might just order a set from Grips4U and see how he milled his out and then try it with mine. I might try something else tonight though on the drill press and see what I can't come up with. I'll add pictures on the restoration version of this post.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Ok, I figured out how to do all the milling. Took me a lot longer to figure out how to do it then it should have. Take you block and do a basic mill to separate the different depths. From there cut you outline and finish up the rough milling by hand or with a dremel. The picture isn't very good because I'm trying to get it up so you can understand my thought process before I have to go somewhere, hope it helps.

milloutline.jpg

Edited by gjohnsoniv