Question about Small Of Back holster

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a CZ P-01 today so I'm thinking that my be my 9mm carry cause I sure do like it a lot.

Cool, I am sure you will love it, it looks a lot like my 75D PCR, the PCR doesn't have the M3 rail and the sights are shaped different. I love my PCR, I love how it shoots, I want to make it my main carry gun and I am sure I will be able too in the cooler months but not so sure for summer.

Guest mikedwood

Yeah neither one is much of a shorts and carry gun are they? But wow what a super gun CZ makes.

I just posted some pictures and stuff about my CZ P in handguns.

I was at Coal Creek killing paper today and looked at holsters, JEZ! I mean I didn't doubt you but $100 in internet forum type looks different than every leather holster on the wall being $100 and up. Nylon and plastic are cheap though. I need a more expensive gun, or what is the rule of thumb on holster to gun %? I paid $400 for the CZ so $100 holster is about 25%? Is that about right? Just get what's comfotable? I have bought several guns and then found out I don't like them, guns aren't hard to sell but a holster, might be stuck. Now you have me wondering what I'm gonna do for one.

Guest Boomhower
I was at Coal Creek killing paper today and looked at holsters, JEZ! I mean I didn't doubt you but $100 in internet forum type looks different than every leather holster on the wall being $100 and up. Nylon and plastic are cheap though. I need a more expensive gun, or what is the rule of thumb on holster to gun %? I paid $400 for the CZ so $100 holster is about 25%? Is that about right? Just get what's comfotable? I have bought several guns and then found out I don't like them, guns aren't hard to sell but a holster, might be stuck. Now you have me wondering what I'm gonna do for one.

Most folks will buying several different holsters for their favorite gun, and see what they like to wear the best. Then buy that holster for additional guns. It's a trial by fire kinda thing, and don't expect to get as much money back on a holster if you decide you don't like it and try to sell it. That's where places like this come in handy. Chances are, their's somebody out there, with the same gun, that is entertaining new holster ideas as well.

Guest mikedwood
Most folks will buying several different holsters for their favorite gun, and see what they like to wear the best. Then buy that holster for additional guns. It's a trial by fire kinda thing, and don't expect to get as much money back on a holster if you decide you don't like it and try to sell it. That's where places like this come in handy. Chances are, their's somebody out there, with the same gun, that is entertaining new holster ideas as well.

I'm gonna have to start buying Kimbers, it's gonna kill me to have $300 in holsters for a $400 or $500 gun.

Guest jam

speaking strictly from an anatomical point of view depending on where you wear your pants and where your SOB rides having a piece of metal running roughly perpendicular to your lumbar spine is not good. You have to consider that the major motion of your lumbar spine is bending forwards and backwards and a piece of metal will basically act like a fulcrum and exaggerate the motion. Having said that have I personally met someone who has in any way shape or form hurt themselves while carrying SOB? no. However, knowing what I know about human anatomical function it makes me nervous to carry in that fashion. Not only becuase of the reason I explained above but also becuase there isn't a lot of soft tissue protecting the back of the spine making it somewhat of an anatomical weak spot.

In terms of holsters and their prices, there are a number of holster makers all over the internet with good reputations making holsters for less then $100. you may have to wait a few weeks to get it, but you are getting a quality product.

p.s. CCA isn't a bad place but I will never, ever, buy a holster form them. they carry Brommeland holsters and I don't support a leather maker who doesn't do right by his customers (you can check out the defensive carry holster forum if you care to read more about the issue)

As a Defensive Firearms Trainer, I have three prerequisites for a holster.

1. Can you access your firearm with your support hand only?

2. Can you access your firearm while flat on your back?

3. Can you access your firearm while belted in your car?

As far as injuries to your spine from SOB carry, Correctional Officers, Law Enforcement and Security are now trained to keep metal away from their spine. An easy way for me to incapacitate a person so equipped is to strike them smartly in the spine, hitting handcuffs, firearm, or whatever. A savvy Officer will have this gear to one side of the spine. Take it for what it is worth.

The next time you see a cop or guard, look where their handcuff case is. Mentally picture the effect of a hard strike to a handcuff case or firearm over the spine.

Also, if you are at a range or on a firing line, can you access your firearm and recover to the holster without either breaking the 180 degree line or sweeping a shooter next to you, or sweeping yourself?

If not, you will not be allowed to practice with that rig on most lines, including one I run. Sorry.

Another good one is shoulder holsters. THREE folks have died at MSSA club near Memphis within a year while recovering their firearm to a shoulder rig. :death:

Guest canynracer
As far as injuries to your spine from SOB carry, Correctional Officers, Law Enforcement and Security are now trained to keep metal away from their spine. An easy way for me to incapacitate a person so equipped is to strike them smartly in the spine, hitting handcuffs, firearm, or whatever. A savvy Officer will have this gear to one side of the spine. Take it for what it is worth.

The next time you see a cop or guard, look where their handcuff case is. Mentally picture the effect of a hard strike to a handcuff case or firearm over the spine.

Also, if you are at a range or on a firing line, can you access your firearm and recover to the holster without either breaking the 180 degree line or sweeping a shooter next to you, or sweeping yourself?

If not, you will not be allowed to practice with that rig on most lines, including one I run. Sorry.

Another good one is shoulder holsters. THREE folks have died at MSSA club near Memphis within a year while recovering their firearm to a shoulder rig. :blink:

thats why I dont carry on the spine, its to the right of my spine. :ugh: Edited by canynracer
Guest canynracer
1. Can you access your firearm with your support hand only?
yep
2. Can you access your firearm while flat on your back?
yep
3. Can you access your firearm while belted in your car?
yes, I just move it to my hip, or center console
  • 2 weeks later...

ACE cases makes a couple of different holsters for the back. I bought one for about $14. that is pretty much one size fits all. Not easy to get on and off but darn secure as it has 3 loops. Adjustable snap for the firearm.

Tried carrying my USP Compact but even that is still just a wee bit for even my wide load. Carry my Keletc 9mm instead. Not bad.