Question about Small Of Back holster

I have been entertaining the idea of getting a small of the back holster for my CZ 75D PCR and I stopped at a gun store in Knoxville yesterday and asked to see one that would work with my gun. The guy then proceeded to tell me that he would NOT recommend carrying that way because it is dangerous. He said that it is dangerous to fall on your gun and that he knew a man that was in a wheelchair because he fell on his gun carrying like that and was now paralized.

Opinions?

Edited by Guns&Dobes
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

If you fall on your back hard enough for your gun to crack your spine, then chances are, you would have gotten hurt even if you weren't wearing the gun.

One fella I know, asked me if I'd ever worn one. I told him yes, when I was younger. nowadays, my arms are a lot stiffer, I told him these days I'd need a COB holster..crack of butt holster.

Small of back holsters are good during the winter when you wear a jacket. If you were to get mugged, you can always feign reaching for a wallet and just reach a little deeper...

what I think happened is you've finally run across one of those opinionated salesmen that want to dictate to you what YOU yourself want.

I say if you're comfortable wearing one, then do so! it facilitates carrying when you're bending over constantly..like when you're doing laundry or working outside.

Did the gun hurt his back or did the gun fire?

Either way I think hes full of BS!Id tell he to keep his opinions to him self and sell you what your there for.

Ya know, he wasn't specific actually and I wondered about that after I left.

Ya know again lol :up: this person is actually very opinionated and will even try to talk a person out of buying certain guns. It has happened to a family member before, both of us women.

That is why I wanted to ask here.

Ya know again lol :up: this person is actually very opinionated and will even try to talk a person out of buying certain guns. It has happened to a family member before, both of us women.

If you go in there again, and the same clerk wants to help you I suggest you ask for his manager or ask for another clerk, if he gets stuffy about it, and you like the store, then just tell him that you're used to spending your money how YOU see fit.

I don't really get that much of an argument from those folks. when I do, I smile politely and ask them to please sell me what I ask for.

Guest Natosha

She would be referring to me! He wouldn't even talk to me about a specific gun. He said they are crap, wouldn't protect me, blah blah blah!

Anyway, I think what ever you feel comfortable with it what you should do.

Edited by Natosha
Guest bkelm18

I like CCA but there are a couple clowns behind the counter who I don't really care for. I usually do my research before going so I really don't ever ask any questions before buying something. The one guy I really have no problems asking a question to is the soft spoken guy, can't really remember his name, but he's an older thin guy with a goatee and is usually behind the register.

Guest Boomhower
She would be referring to me! He wouldn't even talk to me about a specific gun. He said they are crap, wouldn't protect me, blah blah blah!

And what gun was that, if you don't mind me asking?

Guest Natosha
And what gun was that, if you don't mind me asking?

Well it wasn't really a particular gun but a caliber of a gun. I was asking about a Smith&Wesson 22 airlight revolver for carry. He just kept on and on about not carrying a 22, how it would not protect me and stuff. I just felt like I would be better off carrying a 22 verses nothing. This was a while back when I had not really shot anything. I shoot great with a 22 and that was why I was look for them.

He kept on saying I need a 38. Or I need a 9mm. I personally think a person needs to get what feels good in their hand and what they shoot good with.

Guest nj.piney

if you are going to be doing much driving i personally wouldnt recommend a sob holster,plus your clothes tend to ride up on it. buts thats just my experience.

I think the back injury from an sob holster is an urban myth.Not to say it can't happen but .However a strong side holster with a FBI tilt can be worn behind the hip and will be a lot more comfortable as well as easier to draw from seated than a sob holster.:D

Guest mikedwood

Ha-ha! I know my local gun stores! (all to well) if I were a betting man I'd bet I could pick him out of a line up. I agree the Bkelm18 the older guy with the goatee is great, knows his stuff. I do like CCA, I know I aggravate them more than they do me. But if you drop about a grand, their opinion of what you know about guns and accessories goes way up.

I don't really trust any sales person to help me much. If I were it would be the guys at Frontier, they have never steered me wrong, I decide what I want and then check the Internet for problems with that model of whatever.

If I were looking for a holster, especially if I were a female I think I would take the ride to Frontier Firearms. It's a bit of a drive but they have maybe a million holsters and take women very seriously there. One of the owners is a woman and I think they make it a special point to put out the red carpet for the ladies. (as well they should). I think everyone should be treated decently but that's not going to happen at a gun store from what

I have seen at any local ones. I usually get ignored.

Plus a lot of the dang holsters are freakin expensive. Well depends i have seen them from $12 to around a $100 pretty easy. Most seem to be $50 to $60. I have a couple of paddle holsters I got and I have no idea why. I'd give them away cause they take up so much space. $30 each down the drain.

Edited by mikedwood
added
Guest Halfpint

Before my ARG came in, I carried in an SOB holster for a while. It's reasonably concealable, comfortable, and quick to draw from. The downside is most noticable when seated--instead of the barrel just behind (or on) the hip and the grip horizontal, the barrel being horizontal and situated closer to 6 o'clock can be painful if you're seated for longer periods of time. And of course, the possibility of doing damage to your spine if you fall is present, but like others have said--if you fall hard enough to hurt yourself, you probably would have gotten hurt without the gun as well.

I still carry that way from time to time, especially if I'm on my feet all day--it's really personal preference. I like it well enough, and it's probably my second choice of carry when it comes to anything bigger than a J-frame. So basically, after all that rambling, if you like it, it's comfortable, and you can draw from it well, then go for it.

Hey mikedwood, I just looked up Frontier Firearms and it is pretty much about the same distance for me to go there as to go to Knoxville because I live down in Athens. So I will definitely have to check that place out.

Funny you mentioned about the prices of some holsters, after he told me that he would not recommend a SOB he showed me a really nice IWB and when I looked at the price I about fainted LOL.... $105 for in the waist... naaaaaa I think I will pass. :D

I know the one with the goatee that ya'll are talking about and yes he is very nice and knowledgable. I guess there are all different kinds in most of these places.

Guest mikedwood

I hope they treat you right, they should they usually are really good there.

I got a few things from Cheaperthandirt last night and looked at holsters the small of the back holsters were $50 and up. Best to get a try on with your carry for that and espessially anything more.

The best thing about me not having my permit yet is I haven't found a holster I like, except my shoulder holster for my snubbie. I was going to carry the Glock but haven't found a holster yet. I got a CZ P-01 today so I'm thinking that my be my 9mm carry cause I sure do like it a lot.

There are many internet rumors about using a SOB holster and falling on it and damage to the spine resulting. I have never known anyone to which this has happened and never heard anyone say this happened to me.

May be uncomfortable to wear while seated , almost impossible to draw while seated and must have good rotation of your firing arm to reach back and draw.