century ar

I got an e mail from century concerning their new ar type rifle.They are using their lower, with refurbished colt uppers. I did a little research and found some positive feed back. i can get the rifle for 599.00. transfer fee and background check is 35.00.I predominatly am familiar with ak's. Is this a good entry level ar to start with?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned a couple of builds from century. All of them have had some issues. I am down to one a Tantal AK. I thought they had got there stuff together with this rifle.

The front sight is canted. Also there are post all over the Internet about the barrel

for this rifle. Even though it is made by Green Mountain. Some people state that the rifle starts Key-holing when hot. Rumor has it they were .223 instead of app .221. And the twist was wrong. I bought mine in the winter and just took it to the range and ran 90 rounds through it no problem. I've been told I need to heat it up and check at 100 meters.

If this does happen I am finished with century. They have good deals on C&R

weapons and ammo. I would be very cautious about anything they have built.

Their customer service has been real bad in the past but I've been told it is improving.

There are deals on this board and internet for 700.00 and above. I would wait.

Edited by R1100R
Guest gcrookston

I've bought 2 Century build guns over the years, a Cetme and an AK. Both were sent back for full refunds due to serious issues. I was polite enough to give them a 2nd shot, some 10 years later, hoping they'd improved... I'm done with them. Though I have friends that have had no problems whatsoever, I have been unlucky dealing with them.

I have one of those Century C15 guns in stock.

They are decent guns I guess, but keep in mind that you are buying a 20" carry handle gun. Pretty much the least popular configuration in black rifles right now.

With that in mind, I dont think they are a very good deal at all.

I would be happy to sell you mine for 599.00 plus tax/tics.

You would have the advantage of inspecting the rifle prior to purchase, rather than send money and hope you like it when your dealer receives it.

You could probably build your own for that and some change... brand spankin new.

+1 I got my 1st AR for 600, gently used of course. Was a bushy. I build my next one for around 700 and its was worth the extra hundred to get it like I wanted. They are easy enough to put together. I did it and I am no gunsmith. Here's the one I built. It has over 1k in it after optics, rail, and other small stuff.

DSC_0108Resized.jpg

Edited by Redec
CMMG is a better way to go, I simply dont trust anything century builds.

Thats sort of a given.

Thats like someone posting a question about good deals on a new Kia, and someone saying "BMWs are a better way to go, I dont trust anything from Kia"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ordonnanzgewehr

You should build your own! There is really not a whole lot to it.

There is soooo much satisfaction in building your own, you just don't know.:tough:

Gunsmoke Enterprises down in Okeechobee Florida has the best deal on stripped lower receivers at 85 bucks dealer cost.

Complete parts kits can be had as cheap as 369 bucks.

Well, you do the math:screwy:. With all NEW parts to boot!:drool:

There's great info at AR15 dot com;)

Thats sort of a given.

Thats like someone posting a question about good deals on a new Kia, and someone saying "BMWs are a better way to go, I dont trust anything from Kia"

yea, I didnt make my self clear. A BMW cost about 5-6 times more then a Kia. I can sell a CMMG for about the same price if not lower then a Century AR-15. The CMMG comes in an optics only rear, shorty 16in m4 configuration. I think the only way the Century comes is full length. My experience years ago with the Century AR's when they first came out... well all I can say is I just wasnt impressed. I dont think we have had any of the new ones. I guess I will have to get one in and see for my self. :)