non +P Buffalo Bore in 38

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldfella
anyone using this in their 38s? I've heard good things about it and have been using it in my 38 carry gun.

Opinions?

Thanks

Joe

I've just tried it couple of days ago, and decided this is the round I will carry from now on. It is accurate and the kick is stout but manageable, no more than the +P 235 Gr. GDHP. The advantage, from my perspective, is that one well-placed shot will do the trick if unable to do an accurate follow-up.

Pete

Do you really think its better then the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135gr +P ??? 235gr in a 38?!?!?!?!

Thats what I was thinking.Nothing beats a proven bonded round from any of the big 3 brands.I havent even heard of this brand.

Guest Papabear
Thats what I was thinking.Nothing beats a proven bonded round from any of the big 3 brands.I havent even heard of this brand.

Buffalo Bore has been around for a good while. They make excellent handgun hunting ammo. I used to shoot there hard cast ammo in my .454 Casull.

I shot the +P 158gr LHP in my Smith 19. It kicked worse than .357mag loads did. I have no experience with the regular stuff.

I'll stick with major manufacturers for carry ammo. I figure they have the testing resources to know whether stuff works or not.

Guest oldfella
I shot the +P 158gr LHP in my Smith 19. It kicked worse than .357mag loads did. I have no experience with the regular stuff.

I'll stick with major manufacturers for carry ammo. I figure they have the testing resources to know whether stuff works or not.

I would not be able to handle the recoil of the BB +P from a J-Frame, but the non +P kicks about the same as the +P 135 gr. GDHP, and provides greater stopping power with its heavier (158 gr.) SWC-HC bullet.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 2Old

When you read a lot of reviews from handgun hunters, it seems that a heavy, large caliber hard cast bullet traveling at 1000+ fps is better for quickly dropping most big game animals... if it works on them, why wouldn't it work on bad guys? Of course I not saying that would be the safest ammo to use in everyday carry... much too likely to go all the way through the bad guy and hit someone else. That's one reason why I use hollow points like Federal Hydroshok.

Edited by 2Old

I rotate carry ammo every now and then and a regular player for me is the BB std pressure 150gr hardcast wadcutter loading. I expect no expansion out of a snub so a HP design is pointless in my opinion. I want sharp edges and penetration and this load delivers, based on the informal testing on inanimate objects I have done. It also has a very low flash in dark situations. It's recoil is much less snappy than most 38s, more like a push. I was given a box by a friend and forum member, and appreciate it very much! (Thanks Todd!)

Guest Mugster
When you read a lot of reviews from handgun hunters, it seems that a heavy, large caliber hard cast bullet traveling at 1000+ fps is better for quickly dropping most big game animals... if it works on them, why wouldn't it work on bad guys? Of course I not saying that would be the safest ammo to use in everyday carry... much too likely to go all the way through the bad guy and hit someone else. That's one reason why I use hollow points like Federal Hydroshok.

I agree, 200 grains and around 1000fps or close to that should do the trick. In 230gr for .45, I like to see at least 850 on the chrono, and 900 is better, imo.

The velocity is so low in .38 snubnose stuff, in order to get enough penetration, a 158gr non-expanding slug (like a semi-wadcutter) or even ball is indicated, and thats imo. In .45 acp its almost the same story. If you have less than a 5" barrel and a 230gr slug, i doubt you're even getting 800 out of the premium hp stuff (to include +P), with speer probably coming pretty close. They just don't expand to good at low velocity. Although as long as its 230gr, it doesn't much matter what you load up with imo...thats a big wallop.

I was clocking some 9mm stuff for a buddy the other day out of a keltec and a couple other short barreled 9's. It was running around 800-900. He was depressed, lol.

Guest Todd@CIS
I rotate carry ammo every now and then and a regular player for me is the BB std pressure 150gr hardcast wadcutter loading. I expect no expansion out of a snub so a HP design is pointless in my opinion. I want sharp edges and penetration and this load delivers, based on the informal testing on inanimate objects I have done. It also has a very low flash in dark situations. It's recoil is much less snappy than most 38s, more like a push. I was given a box by a friend and forum member, and appreciate it very much! (Thanks Todd!)

Hard to argue this logic. :D

Seriously, the Speer 135gr. GoldDot does expand very well, but it's just a bit more recoil than what I want out of a snubby.

I'd consider the "BB" load one of the top 5 in .38SPEC.