Basics of Defensive Shotgun Class

Guest Phantom6

Guest Phantom6

Basics of Defensive Shotgun Class I

The shotgun is the absolute best CQB firearm in existence today. As far as home defense is concerned, handguns are to keep ‘em off of you until you can get to your shotgun. This dynamic course provides you, the student a reality based, aggressive, close quarters method for using the shotgun in the defense of your home. If you rely on a shotgun for self-protection and the protection of your family at home, this course is essential for you.

Though the name of this class is Basics of Defensive Shotgun this is an intermediate class. Each student will have taken and passed a basic firearms safety class and shall show proof by means of a certificate, certification card or if no proof is available shall complete and pass with a score of 80% a written basic firearms safety pre-test.

Chief Instructor: Mike Crow 865.483.1108 or mcrow@firearmsclasses.com

Assistant Instructor: Sam Reagan 865.483.1108 or sreagan@firearmsclasses.com

Assistant Instructor: Sharon Crow 865.483.1108 or scrow@firearmsclasses.com

Course Cost: $200.00 / student plus $10.00 range fee. TGO members will receive a 10% discount.

Schedule: Class, Saturday, 24 May 2008, from: 8:00 AM until 6:00 PM

Course Lessons:

Lesson 1- Understanding the Levels of Awareness & Developing the Defensive Mindset

Lesson 2- Firearms & the Law: The Use of Deadly Force & What to Expect After the Fact

Lesson 3- Selecting or Building and Caring for a Shotgun Used for Home Defense

Lesson 4- Introduction to Defensive Shooting

Lesson 5- Strategies for Responding to a Violent Threat

Lesson 6- Basic Defensive Shotgun Skills and Techniques

Some of the Subjects Covered in the Lessons:

· Deadly Force and the Law

· The Moral and Ethical Implications of Deadly Force

· The Myths and Realities of the Tactical Shotgun

· Efficient Selection or Construction of the Home Defense Shotgun

· Ammunition and Support Equipment

· Crisis Management

· Malfunction Clearing

· Understanding Cover and Concealment

· Shoot and No Shoot Situations

· Principles of Tactics and Shooting Aftermath

· Shotgun Condition Checking

· Ready and Carry Positions

· Shooting Positions

· Tactical Reloading

· Patterning and Zeroing

· Single & Multiple Target Engagements from 3 to 15 meters

· Responses to the Right and Left

· Stress Management

· CQB with your Shotgun

· Shooting On The Move.

Total Class and range time will be as little as ten (10) hours. This course is range exercise intensive. You will be spending 3 hours in the classroom and 7 hours on the range. Pay special attention to What to Bring section below.

What to Bring:

• An open mind ready to learn
  • Safe attitude
  • Eye and ear protection.
  • 1 Shotgun (any action, gage, or stock configuration) though a pump action in 12 or 20 gage is preferable. Remove you sling. NO SLINGS.
  • Shotgun Ammo Pouches (Bandoliers, Butt Cuffs or Sidesaddles are acceptable)
  • All ammo MUST be factory loaded!
  • 75 rounds Birdshot (#6, #7, #8 or #9 shot- what ever is least expensive for you)
  • 30 rounds #00 Buckshot
  • Raingear (We shoot rain or shine)
  • Ball cap or hat with brim/bill
  • Good quality boots or shoes
  • Knee pads (strongly suggested but optional just the same)
  • Drinking water
  • Snacks (energy bar, cheese and crackers, fruit)
  • Sunblock This is an outdoor range
  • Bug Spray “ “ “ “

SUGGESTION: Wear pants with large pockets "BDU type" or a jacket/shirt with large pockets to hold shotshells.

Advance deposit: Required….$25.00 per student. This must be received 1week prior to the date of the class Due to the nature of this training, space is limited. We will accept no more than 12 students per class.

Payment options: We accept cash, check and Visa or Mastercard credit or debit cards.

For a complete syllabus and application for training including directions to the classroom send an email to info@firearmsclasses.com

Edited by Phantom6
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you boys and girls wanting to have a shotgun in the house as your primary defensive arm, you had sure better get training on it. If you don't, it is painfully easy for you to lose control of it to the offender.

Don't depend on the shotgun until you know how to handle it in a confined area.

It is very easy for an offender to neutralize you with your long gun. I have upset many folks showing them a two second drill. In two seconds, I have made their shotgun ineffective, their mindset is TOTALLY WRECKED, and have them at the losing end of the fight. By the time they have figured out what just happened in real life, their life is OVER!!!

I do not know these folks, and have not trained with them. I train Law Enforcement and Security folks (the REAL first responders-they are already there!) with these arms. I want them to have slings so they can transition back and forth from shotgun to sidearm when appropriate, but this is comparing apples to oranges.

I DO suggest secondary and tertiary arms in the house in case the shotgun fails, runs dry (Heaven forbid), or you fail and the other half must protect herself and the children. If the children or the other half panic and run in the line of fire, or into the path of the offender, you will likely lose part, if not ALL of your family. This MUST ALSO be part of your training.

Get that training. You are protecting your loved ones from the wolf. The wolf has NO MERCY. If he comes in your house to do you and yours harm, neither can you.

Guest Phantom6
Do you have a recommended motel/hotel nearby your place? I

Hotels and Motels in Oak Ridge

(There are a few others but these are the ones I would stay in)

Comfort Inn- 1.09 mi - (865) 481-8200

433 Rutgers Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Go to Web site

Days Inn- 0.83 mi - (865) 483-5615

206 Illinois Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Go to Web site

Doubletree Hotel Oak Ridge- 1.30 Mile(s)(865) 481-2468 | 215 South Illinois Avenue Oak Ridge, TN 37830 Call (888) 603-5334 for Best Rates

Book Direct Online | More Information

Map| Driving Directions| What's Nearby?

Hampton Inn- 0.84 mi - (865) 482-7889

208 Illinois Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Go to Web site

Jameson Inn1.31 Mile(s) (865) 483-6809 | 216 S Rutgers Ave Oak Ridge, TN 37830

View Website | More Information

Services: Information, Personal Service, Reservations

Staybridge Suites Knoxville Oak Ridge- 1.22 mi - (877) 865-6581

420 Illinois Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Go to Web site

Guest Phantom6

I do not know these folks, and have not trained with them. I train Law Enforcement and Security folks (the REAL first responders-they are already there!) with these arms. I want them to have slings so they can transition back and forth from shotgun to sidearm when appropriate, but this is comparing apples to oranges.

You are right. You are comparing apples and oranges. Transitioning is an advanced technique and certainly a technique we would teach in an advanced defensive shotgun class. This class on the 24th is an intermediate course designed to cover the basics of the use of the shotgun in the defense of one's family and home. Before you learn to transition between your shotgun and your pistol you had better understand and have mastered the basics of combat shotgun as well as how to maneuver through or post up in a dwelling. Disarming and firearm retention are other advanced techniques and certainly worth knowing and mastering but not necessary for basic home defense. We will be teaching one single retention technique that hinges on two very elemental principles of long gun operation. The rest we leave for the advanced combat course.

There are several simple techniques to deter a grab for your long gun. They are not pretty. (snicker)

Those folks serious about things will take the more advaced courses. One NEVER knows too much.

If the wolf comes in your house, you OWE your family whatever it takes to keep them safe.

March on, Phantom6!!!:D

Guest Len
There are several simple techniques to deter a grab for your long gun.

The first one I learned was very simple:

Step 1) Pull trigger

Step 2) (Optional) Repeat step 1 as necessary.

Step 1) Pull trigger

Actually, Len, I agree with you. People sometimes complicate things that should be simple. This is not house clearing, in which such techniques are very useful to know. This is being trapped in your bedroom and needing to not kill anyone but the guys who need killing.

As I think a lot of folks here know, I teach military house clearing techniques to LE when requested.

Guest Todd@CIS

Step 1) Pull trigger

Yep...

Guest Len

Thanks Austin!

Deposit $ in today's mail. See you on the 24th. I'll pick a hotel shortly.

-Len

Hotels and Motels in Oak Ridge

(There are a few others but these are the ones I would stay in)

Comfort Inn- 1.09 mi - (865) 481-8200

433 Rutgers Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Go to Web site

Days Inn- 0.83 mi - (865) 483-5615

206 Illinois Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Go to Web site

Doubletree Hotel Oak Ridge- 1.30 Mile(s)(865) 481-2468 | 215 South Illinois Avenue Oak Ridge, TN 37830 Call (888) 603-5334 for Best Rates

Book Direct Online | More Information

Hampton Inn- 0.84 mi - (865) 482-7889

208 Illinois Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Go to Web site

Jameson Inn1.31 Mile(s) (865) 483-6809 | 216 S Rutgers Ave Oak Ridge, TN 37830

View Website | More Information

Services: Information, Personal Service, Reservations

Staybridge Suites Knoxville Oak Ridge- 1.22 mi - (877) 865-6581

420 Illinois Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Go to Web site

Guest Phantom6
Thanks Austin!

Deposit $ in today's mail. See you on the 24th. I'll pick a hotel shortly.

-Len

Thanks Len. We look forward to having you in the class. Guys and gals, if you are interested in taking this class you had better get on the stick as space is limited and sign ups are starting to roll in.

If anyone is going to this class, warning -all the hotels listed except for the Staybridge are booked solid for Friday night. Must be a convention in town or something...

Guest Phantom6
Probably some of those female college rowers in town, see you at the

lake:dirty:

Ah, you better stick with the class. Those rowing gals have legs on 'em that could snap your neck or back like a twig. On second thought .... :D:dirty:. Naw, we'd better just concentrate on the class. We'd just get in trouble. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Austin

I went over to your web site to see if you had schedule any additional classes. The schedule only went to march 08. Is there another site for your class schedule?

Guest Phantom6
Austin

I went over to your web site to see if you had schedule any additional classes. The schedule only went to march 08. Is there another site for your class schedule?

Not at this time. I'm having a bit of trouble with my server and updating is painfully slow. Give me about a week and I will either have my issues resolved or will be using aonther hosting platform. Either way the site will be completely updated.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Guest mikedwood

I saw something about they were having DNS problems this weekend and it should be fixed now Phantom. You know how they are. Ron's site is working better today than it was Friday and I couldn't figure out why, I think it's the DNS and some other issue. Oh and they were upgrading Friday.

It's so funny they think they are a wonderful business but yet they can put a hurting on your business and don't care.

Yeah find another host.

Guest Phantom6

That decision was made a while back. Even if I get the issues resolved, I'm outta there after I find another place to hang my html. :P