Open carry while fishin

So I was at one of my fishin holes on the Harpeth the other day.. it was in the high 80s & sunnier than all get out so I'm wearin some shorts and a tank top. This is an isolated little spot with the occassional bunch showin up to put in kayaks or dangle a pole but kinda secluded otherwise. I always carry here but given the conditions I'll sometimes OWB open carry given the sunlight. Husband & wife came along to fish nearby & exchanged a couple o pleasantries before we resumed our silence. No good hits this day just a little 7in red eye & i'd been out in this sun for a few minutes too many(as my new tan line affirms) so I was packin up & wished them luck. "Do they say anythin to u bout havin ur pistol here?" " I've got a permit but I always leave mine at home when we come up here."

Well! I was happy to tell the tale & let him know the truth of the matter right then! I told him how i'd talked to the ranger man that comes by & that on account of the state bein in the poorhouse & all they weren't goin to pay to change those signs that say no weapons..this bein a state park & not metro we were a ok to carry. Id normaly have a shirt over it but sweatin like I was & there not bein anyone else around I hadn't bothered. He was like 'hael ima start bringin mine.. covered ya know?'. Glad to hear that... its a good spot but occassionally kids come along drinkin & actin dumb... can't be too safe.. a nice guy that was there last week took his revolver off from his undershirt iwb & put it in his tacklebox so he could wade out & get that fancy pants high dollar lure that got caught on a submerged branch..I'm sure others carry since its nigh on cheatham co doorstep. Add another now...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I C/C when out and about in town. However, when out hiking, fishing, camping and/or hunting, I at times carry open. Most times no one else is around to notice anyways. I don't O/C to be noticed anyways, just for the same reasons you do.

Dave

I open carried a .44mag Super Blackhawk when salmon fishing in Alaska, but that was for different reasons. I prefer to have mine concealed, but that's just personal preference and I don't see a problem with a person exercising their open carry right, whatever the reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually open carry when I'm fishing (IWB.) Mainly because I'm wading and it helps keep my gun dry as opposed to my normal pocket carry. I usually carry in my pocket. The other day there was a lot of people around and a lot of them looked pretty hippy/ gun hating like. I tied a bandana around my belt loop and tucked it over the butt of my 642 and no one could see it. Even talked to a guy for about 20 minutes and he didn't notice. (I wasn't wearing a shirt btw)

a nice guy that was there last week took his revolver off from his undershirt iwb & put it in his tacklebox so he could wade out & get that fancy pants high dollar lure that got caught on a submerged branch.......

I would hope that his tackle box was not left on the shore while he was wading as that is totally irresponsible, especially if teens or kids walk around. That kind of stuff is just STUPID. Anyone could have very easily taken the gun, shot him and left. Who'd know if anyone wasn't around?? Pure stupidity.

Now, I haven't had the chance to fish much this year but anytime I'm out side my home on a "nature" scurry, you can bet I'm armed and almost always carry IWB/CC. Oak Ridge has had 2 black bear sightings in the past week alone. There are woods where I live along with nature trails. Along those trails and in the woods live creatures I'm more scared of than a man. I'm armed even if it is just to shoot a snake, much less if it turned out to be a bear or a coyote.

Edited by kwe45919

This particular incident it was just me & him in the vicinity for close to an hour before he went in, it's kinda isolated with only 1 path leadin to it. I agree with controlling access...I thought it was an odd decision myself..I lose lures all the time lol.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

This particular incident it was just me & him in the vicinity for close to an hour before he went in, it's kinda isolated with only 1 path leadin to it. I agree with controlling access...I thought it was an odd decision myself..I lose lures all the time lol.

Loose a fishing lure..........or a gun + maybe your life. Hmmm that's a no brainer for me. Unfortunatly society has burdened me with not trusting ANYONE these days. Friends and family yes, complete strangers, OH HELL NO!!

• 2 weeks later...