Recommended Reading

Big muscles, web gear, and cool guns will not save your life. Train your brain.

Principles of Personal Defense, Jeff Cooper.

Concentrated wisdom from a master. A timeless classic.

Gun, Bullets, and Gunfighters, Jim Cirillo

This is man and this book are way underrated. Cirillo was a member of the NYCPD Stakeout Squad. In just six years he walked away form SEVENTEEN gunfights victorious, often against multiple opponents. He has something to say to anyone who carries a gun.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Another man who walked away from many duels. Philosophy and mindset.

The Farnam Method of Defensive Shotgun and Rifle Shooting, John Farnam.

Accomplished trainer and military and LE veteran. Practical advice for self defense with real guns. Also has a book on handguns I have not read.

Surgical Speed Shooting, Andy Stanford.

Not the traditional Modern Technique coined by Cooper, but you cannot argue with the results of what Andy teaches. I plan on taking the class of the same name from Stanford next time I get the chance.

Add to this list.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

I Watched a video recently of Cirillo, pretty interesting gentleman. I actually have looked at a couple of book stores for his book but no luck.

Riflemen thanks I'll see if I can find these titles.

"The Tactical Shotgun" by Gabriel Suarez. (1996, Paladin Press)

Words of wisdom from one of the masters of the shotgun as a close-combat weapon.

Guest Shay VanVlymen

The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker

Developing and listening to your inner voice. A great primer on awareness and avoidance for the "non-tactical" lady in your life. DeBecker is anti-gun but the book does contain good Mindset lessons if you can overlook the occasional anti-gun junk.

On Combat by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

This book truly is training for your brain. The psychology of conflict and violence is an under-studied discipline and Grossman has done some ground breaking work in this area.

A General Theory of Crime by Michael Gottfredson and Travis Hirschi

While a little dated and not a perfect text to explain crime it had significant impact on my shift away from positivistic theories. In a nut shell, crime (and many other behaviors) is a result of low self control and opportunity. What causes low self control? Well, I'm not going to do the theory justice in a few sentences so read it yourself and decide if it makes sense to you.

• 1 month later...
Guest Chemsoldier

I would second

-Guns, Bullets and Gunfights by Jim Cirillo

-On Combat by David Grossman

Both are outstanding. If you have a hard time finding Cirillo's book PM me, they have it in the Military Clothing and Sales book section here on post.

"Secrets Of Reality Based Gunfighting" and "Combative Perspective" by Gabe Suarez.

And I really enjoyed Phil Elmore's "Short Hand Empty Hand" book also.

And something on a "cultural" mindset wavelength "Born Fighting-How the Scots-Irish Shaped America" by James Webb.

Lots of us in Tennessee!

Guest Phantom6
a tgo library? something like netflix? or something like the lend/lease policy that our govt. has with other countries?

its an interesting idea!

\

Man, don't use terms like "lend/lease" That Soviet thing from the late 30's and 40's still chaps my ass! :-\

Guest Loaded247

I recently read 'Tactical Pistol Marksmanship', by Gabe Saurez. I also just finished 'Shooting to Live', by Fairbairn and Sykes, and 'Get Tough!' by Captain W.E. Fairbairn. Before I read those two, I read 'Kill or Get Killed', by Col. Rex Applegate. I read 'On Killing' by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, and I'm looking forward to getting 'On Combat' by him as well. 'Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting' by Ed McGivern is another good one I've read.

I have 'The Art of War', but haven't started it yet, but I expect to soon.......

• 1 year later...
Guest Todd@CIS

Holy Necropost!

I wanted to get this going again for more responses.

My personal favorite books dealing with "Mindset"...a sometimes neglected topic.

LEADERSHIP AND TRAINING FOR THE FIGHT by Paul Howe

EQUAL OR GREATER FORCE by Kit Cessna

ON COMBAT by Dave Grossman

PRINCIPLES OF PRESONAL DEFENSE by Jeff Cooper

THE COMBATIVE PERSPECTIVE by Gabe Suarez

Guest DrBoomBoom

"The Snubby Revolver" by Ed Lovette

"Defensive Living" by Ed Lovette and Dave Spaulding

+1 on Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense" and Cirillo's "Guns Bullets and Gulnfighting"

"Kill or Be Killed" by Rex Applegate and any of the Applegate, Faibairn, Sykes books.

Edited by DrBoomBoom
Can't spell for sith.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Mugster

"Generation Kill" is a pretty good read about real troops in combat. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Kill-Evan-Wright/dp/0399151931

HBO is coming out with a mini-series I notice. They usually FUBAR stuff, but we'll see.

This is one of the better books I've read about the vietnam war. Highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Once-Warrior-King-David-Donovan/dp/0345333160

Edited by Mugster