coyote hunting ammo

I have a uncle that has a bunch of chickens and they are comeing up missing alot here lately he spotted a coyote a few nights

ago and we are talking about settinng up for a ambush on them all I have to use is a 20g,12g,30/06,or 270 I know these are not the

most wanted calbers out there any thoughts

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with the 12ga, but don't believe the the 70 yard kill shot that Carlson's claim. Try and keep it under 45 yards and be ready to shoot again. I was lucky enough to attend the LBL hunt for many years and unlucky enough to see a large number of dogs get away with the "Dead Coyote" load. Most shots failed because of too great of a distance or the lack of a follow up shot. They are tough animals with tough hides and imho T shot is the smallest that should be used. I liked using the 12ga because it was easy for me to handle while using hand calls. A scoped rifle was just too much for me to bring together on a moving dog. I missed way more than I connected. If you feel good about using a rifle go for it. An 06 or 270 kills them deader than dead. If calling doesn't produce results ya might try trapping them. Trapping takes a little dedication but will reduce the population a little faster. However, you will never get rid of all of them. At some point they will come back.

As far as shotgun ammo, I use Winchester #6 high velocity. I can get a great pattern and knock down power at 40 yards. I have had no problems with it. Other ammo I use is T shot. It can be expensive though. I use a kicks choke. I have used the Carlson choke and it is just o.k in my opinion. I use a 243 shooting hornady 58 grain vmax. Any of your rifles will be plenty enough to kill it dead 3 times over. Just make sure you obey the laws if hunting them. Also just because he seen a coyote doesnt mean the coyotes are killing the chickens. 1 racoon can cause a lot of damage to.

As far as shotgun ammo, I use Winchester #6 high velocity. I can get a great pattern and knock down power at 40 yards. I have had no problems with it. Other ammo I use is T shot. It can be expensive though. I use a kicks choke. I have used the Carlson choke and it is just o.k in my opinion. I use a 243 shooting hornady 58 grain vmax. Any of your rifles will be plenty enough to kill it dead 3 times over. Just make sure you obey the laws if hunting them. Also just because he seen a coyote doesnt mean the coyotes are killing the chickens. 1 racoon can cause a lot of damage to.

I was thinking the same thing about the coons. Don't be so quick to blame a yote. A single fox or coon can destroy a flock of chickens in short order!

Guest tchristian

I'll second the offer to come help out! I dont have alot of experience hunting coyotes with a 12ga....but I shoot slugs and tactical buckshot from my 870 out to 100yds accurately. I cant imagine that a coyote would take a slug and keep moving. Just go pick up an AR....everyone needs a black rifle. It's your civic duty. They make great coyote guns!

The coyotes have been getting alot more brave around here in the last few years. I am not sure what it is

like a told him sounds like we need toget up in the barn laft and see what comes out

Most coyote aren't very brave. In fact most are on the cautious/uneducated side. A number of factors will determin how active they can be. You might be seeing more dogs because of the lack of food, breeding season, or a bunch of young pups that don't know any better. Take a little time and find out where they are coming from and what they are eating. Find the travel lanes they use and figure out the hot spots to hunt. Look for a lot of scat and tracks. Not just one set of tracks but multiple sets of tracks. If ya find tracks ( in one area) going in different directions you have found a good area to start hunting or trapping.

I'll second the offer to come help out! I dont have alot of experience hunting coyotes with a 12ga....but I shoot slugs and tactical buckshot from my 870 out to 100yds accurately. I cant imagine that a coyote would take a slug and keep moving. Just go pick up an AR....everyone needs a black rifle. It's your civic duty. They make great coyote guns!

Remember buckshot is not legal.

Most coyote aren't very brave. In fact most are on the cautious/uneducated side. A number of factors will determin how active they can be. You might be seeing more dogs because of the lack of food, breeding season, or a bunch of young pups that don't know any better. Take a little time and find out where they are coming from and what they are eating. Find the travel lanes they use and figure out the hot spots to hunt. Look for a lot of scat and tracks. Not just one set of tracks but multiple sets of tracks. If ya find tracks ( in one area) going in different directions you have found a good area to start hunting or trapping.

Howler has some very good points. If you have a creek bed look there. Coyotes love to travel down fence rows as they will urinate on fence posts to mark their territories (I actually watched a coyote do this as he was coming into my call). I like to setup near isolated thick cover, coyotes will bed in these areas. Right know coyotes are in dens as most have pups. Remember coyotes don't den year round, only during breeding season. Howler pointed out about maybe seeing pups and I would have to agree with him. Pups are stupid and have not yet experinced real fear from humans. Most pups will be out and on their own by late August.

Is a hunting license required to shoot a coyote on your own property? I worry about my dogs being attacked. I lost one years ago and I always suspected it was the victim of a coyote attack although I had no evidence other than knowing they were in the area.

Guest nowheretobefound

The gauges and calibers you list will all kill coyotes; your choice will be determined by your set-up and distance. I've killed coyotes with a 12ga using bird shot, a .22LR, a .45acp, a 5.56, a 308 and 7mm rem mag, a 30-30 and several others. Some were kills of opportunity, others planned and when planned I use the least expensive ammo for whatever I'm shooting it out of.

Good luck and have fun!