.308 bullets - so many flavors

As I attempt to design the right recipe for my .308, I have accumulated several brands of high quality bullets. They are all brand new.

The question: Does anyone ever swap out bullets for testing loads?

I have

• Berger VDL168gr.
  • Hornady Amax (Molly) 168gr.
  • Hornady SST 150gr.
  • Nosler Interbond 150gr.
  • Sierra Matchking 168gr.

I'd like to try others but am not interested in amassing another $200 in bullets that may potentially only sit on the shelf.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advanced.

Oh Yeah, at this time I am working on MOA not necessarily hunting rounds. I'll do the hunting round with the Winchester Model 70 later. I'm currently focused on my Savage Model 10.

Edited by cyh1830
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sold a Savage model 10 PC and it LOVED the 168g Amax over WC846 [bLC-2] or AA 2520. Either of those three powders will get you great results.

Hornady claims the Amax is insufficient for hunting. Don't believe that. They are absolutely devastating from a 308.

hi! I've got a savage 10 in 308 as well that I'm developing a load for. i'd love to hear how yours goes.

Mine seems to love the Hornady AMAX. The SMK likewise. Both in the 168 grain variety. I'm using 42 grains of Varget (not very hot).

I'm actually just looking at some data I got today after a trip to the range trying out different OALs.

If you would like to trade out some bullets or powder, let me know. I would love to try Varget and any other bullets, around 168gr, other than what's listed above.

I'm currently using IMR 4064, 43gr seem most consistent.

-----

hi! I've got a savage 10 in 308 as well that I'm developing a load for. i'd love to hear how yours goes.

Mine seems to love the Hornady AMAX. The SMK likewise. Both in the 168 grain variety. I'm using 42 grains of Varget (not very hot).

I'm actually just looking at some data I got today after a trip to the range trying out different OALs.

Edited by cyh1830