Marlin model 60 22 LR

My Marlin 22 LR Model 60 does not lock open manually or when the last shot from the mag is fired. Does anyone know what the problem is or might be. Who is a reliable gunsmith in Nashville? Thanks for your input.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That gun does not lock back into position after the last shot or during storage. They simply are not made to and can not be made to. Creates some problems during competitions or "Cold" ranges where the bolts must be held open...in that case you simply get a breech flag or big zip tie as a visual indicator of being "Unloaded"

Out of the box these are the plinking bargains of the rimfire world...they have a rough trigger, but shoot very well for the amount of $$$ they require to own.

My Model 60 was made in 1986, and it does have a last shot hold open, and you can push the bolt in when it's fully retracted to lock it wide open for storage.

Holy cow you guys are right... CLICK HERE

Wonder why mine doesn't?!?! it is older than 86, but one would thing it wouldn't matter!?!? Bought it used a while back. I believe that they were some made by marlin, but sold through other outlets (Like Western Auto) Maybe that is the difference.

Any Marlin gurus out there that knows when they started this?

Ok. Maybe mine is much older than 1986. I bought it at a pawn shop for very little and have no idea how old it is. I hope nothing is wrong with it. Now, the only thing that bothers me is that I can't manually lock it open either. Oh well, we'll see how it shoots this weekend.

now don't hold me to this, but I believe if you take the first two numbers and subtract them from 100 it will tell you the year it was made.

For example the first two serial numbers on my Glenfield Marlin Model 60 is 22.

Subtract that from 100 and it gives you 78. My rifle was made in 1978 as a matter of fact.

But I believe I read the subtraction thing somewhere else as well. Now I don't know how you account for one made in the current century.

now don't hold me to this, but I believe if you take the first two numbers and subtract them from 100 it will tell you the year it was made.

Subtract that from 100 and it gives you 78. My rifle was made in 1978 as a matter of fact.

But I believe I read the subtraction thing somewhere else as well. Now I don't know how you account for one made in the current century.

Subtracting from 100 still gives you the year. They switched the serial number system in 2000. Brand new Model 60's have serial numbers beginning with 9X------, as opposed to pre-2000 models like mine, which starts with 14.

As for the last round bolt hold open, I think we can safely assume it was added sometime between 1978 and 1986. Since Mike's '78 doesn't have one, but my '86 does.

You can also call Marlin customer service between 9am and 5pm EST and ask them to tell you when your rifle was made, you just provide the serial number to the nice American on the other end of the phone.

You are correct, and it also works for the other Marlin and Glenfield .22 rifles. Marlin started doing this in the middle of 1972, and between 1968 to 1972 the first 2 digits of the is the year it was made. Before 1968 there was a letter code used.

I looked at the link to Marlin. I did not know that now they only have a 14 round tubular magazine. My old one holds 17, 18 if you count the one in the chamber.

From the looks of the pic it appears they shortened the barrel a bit too.

Here is a not so great pic of mine.

Marlin_Model_60.JPG

• 1 month later...

My glenfield is 17-18

also FYI I made speedloaders put of old arrows cut opff the fletched end the length of the magazine and bought some red plastic caps for em, pill the mag tube out and dump the rounds in. NOTE: make sure you load the rounds the right wway in the arrow, or you end up with one heckuva jam(experience speaking)LOL

Hillbilly

I looked at the link to Marlin. I did not know that now they only have a 14 round tubular magazine. My old one holds 17, 18 if you count the one in the chamber.

The capacity was taken down to 14 when New Jersey lowered the legal limit to that amount.

At first Marlin just shortened the mag tube and then later the barrel itself was shortened.

I have an older model 60 (18 rounds) that doesn't lockback on the last round also, but can be locked back manually.