Reloading .32 Long?

I don't own a revolver in .32 Long but I know someone who owns an old H&R snubbie so chambered and I have shot it several times. I think it is a super fun round for punching paper and was suprised at how accurate that little snub was. I have read opinions from a few gun writers, etc. who like a longer barreled revolver in .32 Long for small game/varmint hunting. I currently don't own anything so chambered. My Nagant revolver will fire them just fine (I've put a few through it) but that is, of course, not optimal (I'm not recommending it to anyone else, just saying that I have done it.

Along those lines, now that I have begun dabbling in reloading a little, I started thinking that if I decided to reload .32 Long then I could likely pick up a H&R or similar so chambered for less than $150 if I keep my eyes open. It wouldn't really be a first-line or even necessarily second-line defense gun, just something for plinking fun, mostly - but if I could reload with modern JHP bullets intended for .32acp I wonder if I could safely load them hot enough to get expansion and maybe make it 'SD worthy' even if I never really employed it in such a capacity.

Another thing I have thought about is that Heritage builds a Rough Rider in .32 H&R Magnum. I think one of those would be fun to mess around with but haven't really pursued the idea because ammo (whether Long or Mag) is relatively expensive. Again, though, since one of those can fire .32 Long if I were loading my own I'm thinking it should be pretty economical - especially if I loaded a plain jane lead bullet for plinking, etc. I'm actually wondering if it couldn't be done for about the same price as shooting a .22LR. I'm sure it could be done for less expense than shooting most .22Mag.

So, anyone reload for .32 S&W Long? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts, ideas, advice, etc. before I decide if that is something I would like to add.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I load .32 Long for S&W 30-1 from time to time. You can get a set of Lee dies for not much more than the cost of one box of factory ammo. The Lee dies come with shellholder but I load 32 on a Dillon 550 with a 9mm shellplate. I use plated bullets, but if you can cast your own you could load for basically the cost of the primers since you only use around 2 grains of powder.

Mine just gets used for plinking and for small shooters with really small hands it's a nice fit. :)

I don't know if you could get enough velocity to open up a jacketed hollowpoint. A solid cast bullet may be more "effective" as it may give useful penetration?

I don't reload a 32 Long, but I do load for 32-20. It can be done very inexpensively, as long as you take care of your brass. As I have a 32 Long Smith and Wesson J frame, I may get a set of dies for it someday. It shoots great, and is indeed a fun little gun to plink with.

A .32 in a Single Six revolver is about the most sweet shooting gun ever made....they are small, accurate, and pack a bit more punch than a .22 magnum while not small game overkill like a .38 special.

Almost the perfect caliber for rabbit sized critters.

Sweet and very underrated cartridge because only the handloaders can make it sing as intended.