4080FPS in a 30-06???

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is easy...not sure why they chose .30-06 but it gives a much flatter trajectory for groundhogs and other ground rats.

I can get 3600 with my .25-06 using 70 grainers. I have a point zero on the scope at 275 yards. Could go higher, but barrel life suffers. .204 Ruger or .22-250 can do 4000fps all day long.

Wouldnt it be a lot cheaper to just use a .22 for such pesky rodents? (im not a hunter btw)

Not if you are past 100 yards...22lr doesn't have enough gusto. Faster the bullet...more area it travels as it drops. That cartridge is made for sitting at the edge of a field one Sat morning and wiping anything out in a 50 - 600 yard range.

Yeah it is expensive, but most varmenters are handloaders. I could load 100 of those things for around $20. .30 o6 is rare for this type shooting....223, 204, .22-250, or .220 swift are much more common.

This round has been around for over thirty years. It was mainly used in varmint hunting and I know some use on axis dear( brought from India to Central Texas).

The 30,06 was a mainstay cartridge and still is. I still have jackets for reloading from back in the 70's. I also used it for ground hogs.

There was a lot of complaining by LEO's in the day. The bullet has no rifling on it. The jacket

separates from the bullet. I.E sniper/ assassin round.

In the day you had to use two seperate scopes.

Edited by R1100R
correct information
Guest sling
.17hmr might be a good option...

Pah yeah. The .17 HMR is probably the most under rated cartridge.

I love those things for tiny fuzzy cute squirrels....

Maybe you hunters would be able to tell me what the intended use for such a high speed low gr round would be. Was trolling the internet and it sounded interesting....yeah im bored.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/66291-7381-110.html

Main reason is it makes the 30-06 much more versatile. For the guy with only one rifle you can hunt anything from groundhogs to moose with only changing ammo.