Marlin 1895 .45-70 opinions???

I may be buying a Marin (pre-Remington) 1895 SS this week.

Seems like a decent deal at $500 & I know I love the cartridge, but I've never owned or shot a '95.

Can I get some opinions on the rifle please? I know there's a bunch of you that have them, so, what's to like, not to like & what should I look out for?

How's the recoil? The only .45-70's I've shot are Sharps, High-Walls & Springfields. All heavy guns with 24"+ barrels. This model has the 18½" tube, I beieve.

I L-O-V-E mine. It is a reloader's gun. If you don't reload you will not shoot it much because of the stupid cost of buying factory ammo. If you do reload you can load cheap.

It packs quite the wallop, but I liken the recoil to a slug out of a 12 ga on heavy loads. I load lighter....405 grain bullet at 1400 or so fps is a sweet shooter....it can go up to almost 2000fps and really ring your bell. It is much more accurate than you would think. Mine touches 3 holes at 100 yards all day long 1 - 1.5" right out of the box.

It reloads easy. Dirt cheap if you cast your bullets. There is a lot of case capacity so be safe if you are loading with 2400 or Unique. Reloader 7 is the best for hunting loads...I shoot 2400 almost exclusively.

I really like the short barrel length of the guide gun. scope it with a 2-7 leupold and you have the perfect gun. The scout setup looks cool ( mine is set up that way) but in hindsight the standard scope location does just as well. If you were in Chattanooga I would let you shoot mine.

• Like 2

I cast & reload for .45-70 already, which is one of the big selling points for me. Almost as cheap to shoot as .22 LR!

Just out of interest, for my High Wall I load a .458", 405gn bullet over 50.6gn of Varget. I get about 1650fps out of a 30" barrel.

ILP, What's your loading with 2400? I'd like to try something other than Varget. My load has plenty of pep, but isn't as accurate as I'd like.

I absolutely love my 1895 in 45-70. It is a great deer gun for around here in the woods. The recoil does not bother me and it hits hard. Here is a pic of my 1895. The barrel has been shortened to 16" and has a 2x Leupold scope mounted up front.

DSCF0042.jpg

Edited by KahrMan

Well, the deal I had lined up has fallen flat on it's ass. However, y'all have really got my juices flowing! I just put a WANT ad in the classifieds, if any of you are looking at offloading one.......*hintetty-hint-hint* :D

Hope you find one. I have always been a bolt gun guy. I love the classic bolt gun deer rifle. I have not hunted with a bolt gun since I got the 1895 4 or 5 years ago.

Okay, so I picked one up on another forum.

Next question is:

To Scope or not to Scope? Scout scope or standard Scope?

I've never, ever had a scope on a lever action before, all my others wear Skinner peeps & I love 'em, but with the .45-70 having the potential to reach out a little further than a .44 mag or .30-30, do you think I'd see any real advantage in putting an optic on it? I already have a longer range deer rifle, but I know the .45-70 would be adequate if I happen to see a deer at loner range.

Oh, & thanks for the load data. I'll get a pound of 2400 & give 'er a try.

Edited by robtattoo

THis is the first scout scope that I have had. I really like it. It is very natural when I shoulder the gun. Very fast acquisition. I use the levergun in thicker woods still hunting where quicker shots are required. The scout scope mount with a 2x works really well for me.

Let me know if you are ever up in the Brentwood area. You are more than welcome to check out my set up to see if you like it.

Okay, so I picked one up on another forum.

Next question is:

To Scope or not to Scope? Scout scope or standard Scope?

I've never, ever had a scope on a lever action before, all my others wear Skinner peeps & I love 'em, but with the .45-70 having the potential to reach out a little further than a .44 mag or .30-30, do you think I'd see any real advantage in putting an optic on it? I already have a longer range deer rifle, but I know the .45-70 would be adequate if I happen to see a deer at loner range.

Oh, & thanks for the load data. I'll get a pound of 2400 & give 'er a try.

Is it the full length or guide model? If it is the full length I would recommend a 1x4 with lots of eye relief. I had a scout scope on my 1895ss and it didn't balance well. But the 1x4 leupold worked well.