Carrying in New Orleans?

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Guest ArmaDeFuego

So I'm gonna be heading down to Nawlins soon & was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on their carry laws? I've read over handgunlaws.us & it looks like you CANNOT carry in bars there, so I guess if we are out late in the French Quarter I'm gonna have to leave my gun at the hotel. :(

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the French Quarter as far as carrying goes? I mean, could I walk around with my gun concealed as long as I dont go into a bar? (Which obviously would kind of defeat the purpose of going to the French Quarter I know, but.....)

Also, anyone know if a knife or pepper spray is legal to carry there? If knives are legal, anyone know max blade length? I could look up all the laws, I know, but I'm also looking to see if anyone has gone there & what the "feel" of the place is like.....

These are prohibited places for people with carry permits in that state. Bars are included.

Also note that you have to get permission before carrying into a private residence.

I’ve been there, but I didn’t take a gun because I planned on doing a lot of drinking. :)

Prohibited Locations

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

• A law enforcement office, station, or building;
  • A detention facility, prison, or jail;
  • A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
  • A polling place;
  • A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
  • The state capitol building;
  • Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
  • Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
  • A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
  • Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
  • Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

http://www.lsp.org/h...html#prohibited

I travel in Louisiana often on business. I have several good friends there. The law and reality are not always the same thing. New Orleans is more touristy, if that's a word, than the rest of the state and I expect in the tourist bars the gun law is generally obeyed. My impression, as you get deeper into the southern part of the state, is if you're not carrying in a bar, you're probably the only one.

• Like 1

I worked in New Orleans for nearly 20 years. Then along came Katrina and my hospital sank.

fwiw Hospitals don't float well. :down:

Anyway...Concealed means concealed. I was always armed...always.

But I don't drink and I followed the "Rule of Stupid".

I Don't go to stupid places-with stupid people-and do stupid things.

Never had an issue.

I carried OC and a folder and a small fixed blade, and at least one Glock.

New Orleans is a unique and fantastic place, with some great folks.

Like Motasyco mentioned...If you can make to some of the outlying areas you'll run into some fine folks, good eats, and a safe time.

The Quarter, being a Tourist Mecca, is heavily patrolled by NOPD: plainclothes, Uniformed, and Horseback. The lowlifes are just on the perimeter and waiting for an opportunity to take your stuff, or at the very least panhandle you.Situational Awareness is your best friend.

The storm will pass soon enough. I hope you enjoy yourself. Eat some mudbugs for me. :cool:

I travel in Louisiana often on business. I have several good friends there. The law and reality are not always the same thing. New Orleans is more touristy, if that's a word, than the rest of the state and I expect in the tourist bars the gun law is generally obeyed. My impression, as you get deeper into the southern part of the state, is if you're not carrying in a bar, you're probably the only one.

I lived in Baker, just north of Baton Rouge, for a couple of years. Couldn't agree more with your assessment.

Guest HvyMtl

Places to go? Good food? Rue127.(Small house, bar in front, sorry, no carry.) This is what you will find, most restaurants will serve alcohol which will prevent carry into them. Excellent (but expensive) museum? The National WWII Museum. Remind any female friends to NOT wear heels, or open toed shoes, on Bourbon Street. Unless they want to trip and fall, or have the "gutter grease" on their feet.

Things to know: Bourbon St is better during the afteroon. Or, night during the weekdays. On the weekends, there is a different, more criminal element, crowd. Prices increase dramatically on the weekends. Never take your children into this area, unless you want them to grow up quickly. The pictures of what is on the "menu" at the stip clubs, plus the strippers pulling tourists into the strip clubs, plus the drunks, and general debauchery, makes it no place for children. At any time of day.

Last I was there, the Krystal on Bourbon had a shoot out in it. 1 hour after I got my chicks. That was a Sat. night.

Situational awareness is a good thing to have. There are a LOT of people wanting to seperate you from your money, and you will be pegged as a tourist, in the tourist zone.

IF you are driving. Expect to pay for parking. Even at most hotels downtown. If you are carrying, make sure you have a gun safe in the car/truck, so you can lock it up when you go eat.

Edited by HvyMtl