Beginner's questions on 1911 maintenance

Guest tadams

Guest tadams

I asked these question in my other thread, but feel it might be better if I separate this type of question out, by itself. I have recently purchased a Dan Wesson C-Bob 1911 and these questions do pertain exclusively for this one gun, especially considering the guns characteristic tight tolerances. (some will say too tight)

I'm in transition from noob to novice when it comes to handguns, but have a little bit of general knowledge otherwise. I have owned a couple different handguns in the past (and long guns) but am especially concerned about doing everything right with this gun, because I plan on keeping it for a very long time. I'm not worried about me doing anything stupid enough to damage the gun, but I value real-world opinions from those that have gone before me and want to find my own path based from those opinions. I know I'm opening up a can of worms when asking for opinions from the peanut gallery... and I've read link after link after link of enough BS, heresay, and tall tales to make my eyes roll back in my head...

Remember, I am asking specifically for this gun. (tight tolerances, breaking it in from new, casual shooter but will be carried as often as possible in a few months time, stainless, what more is there to know????)

Should I start this gun off with something like a militec treatment? Does anybody use Militec?

Considering my rails are so tight, should I even bother with a grease, or just keep them oiled? (which seemed to be the factory solution)

Are there any specifics for breaking in a 1911 that I should keep in mind?

I plan to keep this gun forever, quite literally. I want to break it in right and maintain my investment as best as I realistically can. Fire away.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Terta gun oil on the rails of my 1911's for several years with excellent results. No doubt you will check the rails and slide for wear every time you disassemble the pistol for cleaning. Should signs of wear increase, I would suggest the use of heavier lubricants at that time.

I’m not sure why you think the tolerances on a Dan Wesson may be “too tightâ€; but I didn’t read the other thread you refer to.

What you use is not nearly important as how often you use it. The problem is contamination. Dirt and metal particles accumulate in oil, these act like a lapping compound and can cause premature wear.

Prior to a range session I break my firearms down, give them a quick wipe down and relube. After shooting they are thoroughly cleaned. How often you clean a carry weapon depends on the environment you carry it in.

I would not put grease on anything that the manufactures does not specifically call out to be greased. Do not use oil that is not specifically recommended for firearms. I say that because you will commonly see WD-40 recommended. As a Toolmaker I can assure you this is not something you want on a firearm.

Remember that clean & lubed is more important than brand of lube and fire away. Your weapon will last a lifetime.

Guest tadams
I’m not sure why you think the tolerances on a Dan Wesson may be “too tight”; but I didn’t read the other thread you refer to.

:D:shrug: I don't... but "some" might, when comparing 1911's and their use as a carry weapon. Else, I wouldn't have invested the money into the Dan Wesson.

The disadvantages of WD40 are many.:lol: It must have it's place in life, but I've found better alternatives for all "known" applications, so far.:P That is a very good point, though.

I have used Terta gun oil on the rails of my 1911's for several years with excellent results. No doubt you will check the rails and slide for wear every time you disassemble the pistol for cleaning. Should signs of wear increase, I would suggest the use of heavier lubricants at that time.
I have considered Tetra as a "brand" of choice, but haven't ever seen the full assortment on a local shelf to buy. I am one of those who will check my rails and slide every time. You caught me. ;)

Heavier lube over time noted.

Keep'm coming, ladies and gentlemen.

I agree that keeping the gun well lubed is more important than what specific brand you use. I know that some 1911 guys even make there own lubricant (I think predator custom shop in Knoxville makes there own.) The only thing that I think changes what type of lubricant is the general ambient temperature, but since we live in the southeast that really isn't a problem.

If you decide to make your own, I would definitely ask around as there seem to be numerous variations. However, the base seems to be trans fluid and motor oil

Guest grimel

Clean it with Breakfree CLP, change the recoil spring regularly, shoot it often. Figure on having it rebuilt about 30k.

Clean you gun after every range section well.

As far as lube or grease goes.I have started using Tetra grease and am very pleased with it.It does allot better then oil for me.

For a range gun many choose to use grease for a little extra protection.For a carry gun many choose oil because grease likes to hold dirt and debris like crumbs and dust,etc

Guest darkstar

I'm with the school of thought that says it's not as important what you use, it's that you use some kind of lubricant. Shooting the gun will break it in and wear down those tolerances somewhat. I would imagine that using any good quality gun lubricant will be just fine. Also, you would be surprised how quickly the lubricant disappears from just carrying a pistol. I check my carry gun at least once a week if I don't take it to the range. Even just one week in a belt holster and the amount of dust and lint and all sorts of other crap is amazing. I wipe it clean and reapply lubricant where needed.

I clean my 1911 perhaps every 500 rounds or so. When I finish shooting, I wipe the gun down and oil the slide rails and locking lugs. The only advice I'd give you is keep it lubricated and field strip and clean it every now and again.