Maxpediton Sitka size

I have been looking at smaller bags recently and was curious about real world sizing of the Sitka. This bag would be used to hold items from the truck to the office (4 block walk). I was hoping to get a change of clothes (jeans, shirt, socks underwear) lunch, and rain gear in it. Of course it would also hold the regular items like extra knife, light, first aid kit, etc. etc.

Is this realistic for this bag?? I seem to hear folks say that the Maxped bags "seem smaller than they thought it would be". If not this bag, then what suggestions for another would you have?? It is primarily a commuter/afternoon hiker type bag.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Bob

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ochretoe

I have the monsoon and it is a good bag. The sitka has a little more room and I think it is more versitile. In my bag I carry a change of chloths, a poncho, a 8x8 poly tarp and lots of small things like knives, lights and food. I also have a keltec sub2000 in it. It is heavy but handles everything pretty good. The single shoulder sling is not real comfortable unless I use the waist belt. If I do another bag I will get one with 2 shoulder straps because my bag is so heavy. If I droped the s2k and 50 rounds it would be very managable with one shoulder strap.

I second the thought on the "I thought it would be bigger" mentality. I got a maxpedition jumbo satchel, and for the largest of their satchels I definitely expected a little more room. It IS built like a tank though and really like the durability, but I won't be buying anymore maxpeditions unless I can see it in person. Luckily I noticed smokey mountain knifeworks now carries some maxpedition packs, so I can at least go up there to compare some of the models they have.

Guest ThePunisher

I have been looking at smaller bags recently and was curious about real world sizing of the Sitka. This bag would be used to hold items from the truck to the office (4 block walk). I was hoping to get a change of clothes (jeans, shirt, socks underwear) lunch, and rain gear in it. Of course it would also hold the regular items like extra knife, light, first aid kit, etc. etc.

Is this realistic for this bag?? I seem to hear folks say that the Maxped bags "seem smaller than they thought it would be". If not this bag, then what suggestions for another would you have?? It is primarily a commuter/afternoon hiker type bag.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Bob

The Outpost Armory at I-24 south exit 89 past Murfreesboro is the only store that I have come across nearby that carries Maxpedition bags. And their prices are less than the website prices. Drive down and check them out. I bought the Malaga Gearslinger. Nice bag.

Guest ThePunisher

Punisher,

Did Outpost have a good selection? I am bouncing around several different ones but I seem to come back to the Sitka. I may try to get down there this weekend.

Thanks

Yes, they have several model bags. I'm pretty sure they have the Sitka, but you can always call to check.

I have a Sitka and if you can roll or fold your clothes appropriately your aforementioned items will fit assuming reasonable material content based on your size. They are not going to look like they came out of a large valet from a pressed look standpoint. How's that for PC?

I'll actually try it out for you tomorrow and see if I can take some pictures.

For its size I have an amazing amount of gear in mine.

It's main claim to fame is the ability to rotate it quickly from back to front to access items without having to take it off, for instance accessing a handgun.

I have two Maxpedition Bags. Well designed, executed and robust.

Edited by DAdams

I loaded the following into the Sitka:

Blue jeans size 38

Long sleeved Tee

Socks

Boxers (stuffed in shoes)

Running Shorts (REI) Very substantial

Marmot Rain Jacket

Merrell Lowcut Hiking Shoes

Nylon Belt

Small Roll Duck Tape

Two flashlights

Water Bottle

Kahr PM9 Extra Mag

Small Holster

4 Energy Bars

Compass (outside)

Cell Phone Holder outside (Droid X size)

Large and Small Knife (one outside)

Very small first aid kit

Water Purification Straw

I have added a couple of external Molle Style pouches for fast access items including the first aid kit, one of the flashlights and SAK.

Total Weight about 10 lbs This is definitely a full load for this bag, but it can be done easily.

If I would have left the shoes out or perhaps lighter more compact water shoes, sandles etc there would have been much more room.

Large and Small Knife (one outside)

P9280008.jpg

P9280010.jpg

P9280011.jpg

Here is a comparison of a Wenger Computer Bag you see all over the airports with a Sitka

P1010005.jpg

I usually have this bag set up as an equipment bag. Even with all this I could add shorts, Tee.

P1010007-1.jpg

Edited by DAdams

The Sitka is a great day pack for two, and especially in the summer where you just don't need any more bag.

Here are a few I use regularly.

P1010002-1.jpg

I was recently in Wyoming and went to a walk in clinic. The Doc did outback rescue. He had a nice light bivy bag by

SOL they have a couple different styles even make a survival jacket. I see Sportsman's Warehouse had a couple of the bags.

Better than space blankets for colder weather but still quite small.

DAdams, Thanks for the pictures, it gives a better idea about the sizes and what fits. I think I am going to try to put my hands on one locally, and when I do, have the items to put inside for a "test drive". Hopefully that will clear up any possible fit questions I may yet have.

Thanks again!