Knife sharpening services needed

Looking for knife sharpening services in Middle TN/Nashville area, or someone on TGO who can do this. I got a Woodsman's Pal machete recently. It's beautiful, the only flaw is that it is not sharp all the way to the top corner. I seek to remedy this. Here's a link to the tool itself so you can see what I mean http://www.woodmanspal.com/products/woodmans-pal-classic-model-481-tool-only.

This is what one person did according to the reviews on Midway USA:

My only negative comment, I didn't like the fact that they leave the last inch or so of the blade without an edge. The do this for "safety", but frankly, if I want a machete I want it sharp to the end. So, I fired up my grinder and carefully sharpened the end of the blade. Then polished it with diamond tools. If you do this Don't reshape the entire blade as it has a special convex shape that is nearly impossible to recreate.

I don't know what they mean by special convex shape but I assume the knife sharpeners/makers here do. I include it as it seemed relevant. Anyway, like I said, if anyone here can do this or knows of someone who can (preferably middle TN area) please let me know.

I've got a place I go, but it won't help you, its in Knoxville. If you want to ship it to me, I can run it by there, and I'll pay to have them sharpen it, as they know me quiet well by now. They now do all my work, its Kinney Sharpening in Knoxville. They can put on a damn good edge and they are fast. Just let me know if you want to ship it, and I'll help you out anyway I can

Guest Broomhead

Try Nashville Sporting Arms on Charlotte by Nashville West.

I could probably do it, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in my skills.

Edited by Broomhead

I've got a place I go, but it won't help you, its in Knoxville. If you want to ship it to me, I can run it by there, and I'll pay to have them sharpen it, as they know me quiet well by now. They now do all my work, its Kinney Sharpening in Knoxville. They can put on a damn good edge and they are fast. Just let me know if you want to ship it, and I'll help you out anyway I can

This would definatly be the way to go and Spots is a great guy considering he's volunteering to pay for the service to get the correct job done. (I'm sure you'll be required to pay it back) Kinney is awsome and they do superb work.

Awsome thing to do Spots for a fellow member. Kudo's for being one of the good guys..... :up: :up:

Edited by kwe45919
  • Like 1

This would definatly be the way to go and Spots is a great guy considering he's volunteering to pay for the service to get the correct job done. (I'm sure you'll be required to pay it back) Kinney is awsome and they do superb work.

Awsome thing to do Spots for a fellow member. Kudo's for being one of the good guys..... :up: :up:

Thanks man. And honestly, you don't have to pay me back, its just a few dollars for a sharpening, and whatever it cost to ship it back to you. That way you have a good sharp machete like you want, and I can drum up a lil morw buisness for my friends at kinney sharpening. Let me know if youndecide this is the best course of action and I'll pm you my address.

I was considering using Nashville Sporting Arms, but I know they have that setup with all the belts instead of an actual grindstone. I wasn't sure if that was a good approach for creating a new edge. Don't get me wrong, they're great over there, and I've had plenty of knives sharpened by them in the past, but I'm still wary about using belts to create a new edge.

Guest Broomhead

Most knifemakers use belt grinders these days, especially for setting the edge. Very few, if any, use an actual grindstone, or bench grinder, anymore.

Edited by Broomhead