Hornady Amax: Armor piercing?

vujade

Maybe not but they are certainly "Chrony-piercing".

Bad day at the range today:

2h54aog.jpg

This was off a 308 rifle. 168 grain AMax. Chrony was about 10 feet away. It was working well and then 2 things: 1) the swivel on the tripod must have been loose so it tilted a tad too much and 2) I aimed for the bottom target without thinking.

This is my stupid tax; I hate those.

• Like 1

A friend of mine killed one once. Had a scope mounted on top of an AR carry rail. He didn't compensate for the bore line being so far below the sight line and shot 2 or 3 rounds through it. So you're not the only one.

With your comment, I realize that I didn't also! I could have swore that my crosshairs WAY cleared it!

I didn't compensate that the bore line was below the sight line.

Many years ago I was riding across the farm with my uncle in his truck one day. I saw him jump out of the truck with his rifle, lay it across the bed side of his truck, sight in on a coyote, and put a nice .30 caliber hole in the opposite bed side.

The old bore line versus sight line got him too. What made it all the more amusing was that he is probably one of the most safety conscious firearm enthusiasts I have ever known, and rarely misses anything he ever shoots at.

Edited by Brandon

I was watching a show on shooting and there was a story about a police sniper who had to take out a BG who had a gun to a hostage's head. The sniper took the shot, and couldn't tell where his shot went. (IIRC he was fairly close range too, <100 yds). He then realized he had hit a short wall about 10 feet in front of him because of this same issue. He adjusted to clear the wall with his bore line and saved the hostage with the next shot. In the interview the officer was upset that his mistake caused the hostage to be in danger for an extra 15 seconds while he realized his error.

Sorry to hear of your loss but here is a funny story.

I watched a guy take his brand new chronograph out of the box. He set it up right in front of his firing position. He then took out a 1903 in 30-06 and put the muzzle about 3" from the front of the chronograph. When he pulled the trigger it was an amazing sight at the amount of destruction. And although the bullet never struck the chronograph the muzzle blast blew the chronograph apart like someone had put a M80 inside it.

I know it happens and it can be upsetting but the lesson learned is priceless. As well as the funny story to tell all your range buddies.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Forget the hostage being in danger for and extra15 seconds, that hostage was in danger when the sniper pulled the bang button!

I agree!!!!

However, the decision was made that the BG was more of a threat than the sniper taking the shot. I assume they had exhausted all other methods of saving the hostage when the call was made to take the shot. Maybe the BG was holding his finger on the bang button too. Maybe he had already killed someone. Maybe he was known to be mentally unstable. In this case, the right decision was made. BG loses, good guys are ok.

Anyway, my point was just that even folks that train a lot with their rifles to be used in life/death situations can still screw up the sight line vs. bore line. I personally haven't shot a lot of rifles but I will keep this in mind moving forward.

I can't find a link to the story or else I would post it ... I think it was some sniper show I was watching on history channel or something.

I ALWAYS put up the front "goal post" and put a piece of tape between them at the top. Then I put a dot on the piece of tape and aim for the dot.

I have always been really scared of shooting mine but so far so good.

Dolomite

For my next chrony, I was thinking of bringing my bore sight laser so that I can see where the bore is pointing at that close distance.