300 BLK Build by LJ

Lumber_Jack

[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1353588830' post='849391']Can you measure the ID of the free float tube?

And if you want pick up some 220 SMK's and come on out. I will supply the rest of the components to make sure it is running right. We can also shoot across the chronograph to get velocities. That way you can figure out drop tables and such.

Measure the OAL without the KX3 and if it is over 26" then you can legally add a vertical foregrip, if that is something you like.

Dolomite[/quote]

The best I can get with a tape measure is 1.75" inside diameter. It may be slightly less, I'll measure with calipers when I get home.

I'm gonna shoot some 110vmax and Remington 220gr to see how that functions. But I will definitely get some 220 SMKs and come by. I'll get with ya next week and see when is best. Appreciate it for sure.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if those gas tube roll pins we had were out of spec a little bit because I had a hell of a time getting mine in as well. I got it about 75% through and it got stuck and it actually flared out ont he other side where the punch was. The gas tube is isn't going anywhere though - it is solid, but my OCD side is going to make me get another roll pin and have to replace it.

I thought it might have been my gas block, but considering we both had different gas blocks but the same roll pins.....BTW what bcg did you end up getting, core15?
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1353605586' post='849485']I wonder if those gas tube roll pins we had were out of spec a little bit because I had a hell of a time getting mine in as well. I got it about 75% through and it got stuck and it actually flared out ont he other side where the punch was. The gas tube is isn't going anywhere though - it is solid, but my OCD side is going to make me get another roll pin and have to replace it.

I thought it might have been my gas block, but considering we both had different gas blocks but the same roll pins.....BTW what bcg did you end up getting, core15?[/quote]

I figured there was an issue once I started. I don't know if they were out of spec or not, I've heard others saying they had a hard time with that step regardless of roll pin source. I took a pair of pliers and mashed the end together as much as I could just to get it started. I got it about 90% through and then, like you, it just flared the end.

I just put the BCG out of my Rock River it now. I'll buy one when I get a few spare bucks
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1353671531' post='849706']Did you guys use a roll pin punch?

They have a tit on the end of the punch, to keep the roll pin centered, and a square shoulder, to keep the roll pin from flaring out.

I generally don't use then but they are very handy for those tough ones.

Dolomite[/quote]

I did use a roll pin punch. It took securing the gas block in a vise and lining up the punch and pin, and then striking the punch quick an hard to get the pin started. The as I said it got about 90% and then wouldn't go anymore. The shoulder of the punch started flaring the pin, so I quit.
Well I fired a few rounds for a function test. 3 rounds of 110gr VMax and 3 Rounds of 220 gr Remington. All cycled fine, not sure if the subs will lock the bolt back as the mags were full.

[quote name='jcoosi' timestamp='1353686614' post='849787']How is the barska optic olding up?[/quote]

Well I don't really know yet. The glass is clear, but I think the question is will it hold zero. I bought the scope and mount for $80. So if it won't hold true I'll just move it to my 10/22 and get something else for the 300. I'll update with how it works.
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1353671531' post='849706']
Did you guys use a roll pin punch?

They have a tit on the end of the punch, to keep the roll pin centered, and a square shoulder, to keep the roll pin from flaring out.

I generally don't use then but they are very handy for those tough ones.

Dolomite
[/quote]

Yea, I have a roll pin punch. It came with one in the punch set I ordered for my last build. Funny thing is it was backordered and I had to use some super cheap generic punches that I got from harbor freight on my last build. I had zero trouble with the roll pin on the gas block on my last build so I am thinking you may be right with the anodizing.
Well here's the goods.

This is my Dad shooting at his local club.

http://youtu.be/aJXYlvuX62Y

Here is the first 3 shot group with 110gr VMax at 50yds the flyers are all just getting the scope dialed in.

[IMG]http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv166/owensnj/B9AD86AE-B62C-447F-8F3D-9A859FE76191-19290-0000052658CEAC76.jpg[/IMG]

Then I switched to 220gr Remington

Groups 1,2,3 are figuring holdover after zeroing for 110gr. Group 4 was the last concentrated attempt at accuracy.

[IMG]http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv166/owensnj/0FF25429-0C41-46A9-A226-05B807B08075-19290-0000052780D083F8.jpg[/IMG]
Looks great.

What scope is that? I can see it is a Barska

Did you do any adjusting of the gas block? I have my Paladin and I am not 100% sure I like it. I am thinking about going to a standard adjustable block and make a custom adjustment screw. The only thing keeping me from doing it is I milled out access in my float tube for the Paladin. If I change gas blocks that means the float tube modification was done for nothing.

Dolomite
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1353709574' post='849871']Looks great.

What scope is that? I can see it is a Barska

Did you do any adjusting of the gas block? I have my Paladin and I am not 100% sure I like it. I am thinking about going to a standard adjustable block and make a custom adjustment screw. The only thing keeping me from doing it is I milled out access in my float tube for the Paladin. If I change gas blocks that means the float tube modification was done for nothing.

Dolomite[/quote]

This is the scope

Barska 1.5-4.5x20mm, mill dot, first focal plane.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/barska-1-5-4-5x20-ir-tactical-riflescope-ac10770.html

I set the gas block 3 full turns out from closed, and both functioned great. The last round of subsonic didn't get picked up out of the mag, but the first 19 did. So I'm not sure what caused that.
If anyone is concerned with the ballistics I can tell you there were two quarter sized holes in both lungs and a half dollar size exit hole that took out an entire chunk of rib bone.

I do think I will try some heavier bullets next time and see if there is a difference. I would like to try some 125 noslers or 208 Amax