need help with something....

Guest tlondon

Guest tlondon

I was hoping to pick some peoples brains here. I have a S&W mod15-3 that has the firing pin on the hammer. I was wondering if revolvers are still produced this way or not, I have not seen one like it on "new" guns in the stors so am wondering about the age of this. I know I can request a background from S&W but dont want to go that route unless my pistol has some history or is somewat old. Thanks for any help.

Tommy

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what blue book says:

MODEL 15 (K-38 COMBAT MASTERPIECE)

- .38 Spl. cal., adj. sights, 6 shot, square butt, 2 (disc.), 4, 6 (mfg. 1986-91), or 8 3/8 (new 1986, disc.) in. barrel. Disc. 1999.

Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%

$500 $375 $300 $275 $245 $220 $195

Last MSR was $450.

Add $31 for TT or TH (disc. 1991).

Add $11 for 8 3/8 in. barrel (disc.).

Add $20 for nickel finish (disc. 1987).

Add 300% for USAF marked (mfg. 1965).

There were 9 engineering changes on this model.

Guest gcrookston

To answer your question, London, the 15 is not made that way any longer, but some companies still produce the firing pin mounted in the hammer (US Arms, for instance). Most moved to the transfer bar back in the late 70's early 80's for liability reasons (oh, and safety, too).

As the Rabbi pointed out, S&W only puts the pin in the hammer on their "classic" line now (I guess they figure if someone is going to pay 150% of value they are a collector, not a shooter).

Don't really need a pic, just the SER# (you may omit the last 2 digits with an "x"), and I'll give you the date it was made.

Guest 2Old

I've owned a couple of S&W's like that, with the firing pin on the hammer. I've heard stories about them breaking off fairly easily, but I've never actually seen that happen. I now own one of the newer models with the transfer bar and I must admit, I like it better.

Check out the smith-wessonforums.com for info on the year of mfg.. The Model 15 Combat Masterpiece is a classic revolver and excellent shooter. Many a helicopter pilot, in the Southeast Asian war games, carried one. They can easily handle +p and +p+ rounds.

....the ser # is GK389xx thanks for the info

GK389xx?

That "G" doesn't seem right.

Did you get the SN off the butt of the grip or inside the yoke?

A K serial prefix in the 389xx range would make it a pre-model 15 made in 1948 and is referred to as the "K-38 Combat Masterpiece." But that would mean that this S&W should also be a "five-screw" model and in your picture I can't see if there is the fifth screw holding in the top of the sideplate.

Model 15-3s were made from 1967 to 1976 and would have a SN in the K715997 to 9K99999 range. My bet is your SN is really 9K398xx and that would place it with a 1975 production.

BTW - S&W changed to a floating firing pin in 1997 for the Model 15-8.

Enjoy your S&W! Get some nice factory wood target stocks for display and keep the Uncle Mike's rubber grips to shoot the fool out of it! :D

Edited by DMark

A phone call to S&W would answer the serial number question.

Tennessee Highway Patrol ordered a bunch of Model 15-3’s with THPXXXX, so I guess another department could have done the same.

The G doesn’t make any sense; but 6 does. 6K389XX would make it 1974.