Got Guitar?

Guest dotsun

Guest dotsun

Anyone here play guitar? I mean besides steelharp, of course. I'm talking amateur newbs like me. :)

I play acoustic (badly) and am curious if anyone else plays and what you play/practice.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Martin DX1 that I purchased about 5 years ago. I started playing when I was 14 and I am still an amateur. I have played on stage for money a couple of times but when my bar tab came I owed the bar so I don't really think I got paid.

I used to have a Gibson U2 strat that I loved until I destroyed it trying to paint it. If I could ever find one in good shape for a decent price I would get it. 1 Humbuker that was splitable and 2 single coils. Floyd Rose Temelo, neck through body. Awesome. Sounded like a Fender or a Les Paul depending on the pickup selection that you chose. Great through a Marshal stack.

If you lived around here I would say lets get together and pick some time though you would probably have to teach me some new songs, lately all I play is kids music.

Guest darkstar
Anyone here play guitar? I mean besides steelharp, of course. I'm talking amateur newbs like me. :)

I play acoustic (badly) and am curious if anyone else plays and what you play/practice.

Yeah I play and like you badly and acoustic. I play a lot of Neil Young (pretty easy stuff mostly 3 chords), some Wilco songs, Grateful Dead (of course!) and other than that just generally mess about. Strictly amateur here...I got no skillz, oh yeah, I have an old beat up Yamaha FG400A

Guest GUTTERbOY

I'm mediocre, only own an electric so that's what I do best on now. I'd like to find a cheapo acoustic to keep around as well... each one has its place...

Guy I work with now has an acoustic and plays some. We had a cokout over at his place for Memorial Day, so I brought my axe over and we did some noodling around. Fun stuff.

Guest GUTTERbOY

By the way, if any of you pickers need help feeling inadequate about your skills, take a look at this guy:

[ame]

[/ame]
Guest CleanSeries80

i'm a metal head. i started playing when i was 11. i'm not as good as i should be, but i;m not too shabby and always improving. i've got a 1979 Les Paul and a Dean Dime-O-Flage playing through a Marhsall valvestate 120 watt.

I play a Taylor 514ce. Great guitar. I have played rythm guitar for church band for about 6 years. I quit playing at the church for various reason about 3 years ago. I now just pick-n-grin by myself around the house.

I use to go to the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society's annual meeting every year in Nashville at the Sheraton Hotel. I also play his style of finger picking "Chet style".

I am not as good as some that have been playing that long, but I get by. The last time I played in front of a group of people was at my uncle's graveside last October. He was the person that got me into playing, and even sold me my first guitar. I played "I'll Fly Away" Chet Style.....I almost didn't make it through it, I really Loved him.

Saintsfanbrian.....I didn't know you played too. Hey we got even more in Common than I thought.

If someone wants to have a picking session let me know. If it is where I can I would love to make it.

Guest dotsun
I have a Martin DX1 that I purchased about 5 years ago.

That's exactly what I bought about the same time ago. Those guitars are an amazing value, so awesome sounding for the money.

I play a little. I used to be a decent classical guitarist, but I let that slack. Now I just **** around with Jimi Hendrix songs and stuff.

For all of you Memphis area guitar players, Memphis Music is the best! They'll match prices with Musicians Friend, buy locally!

Guest gunslinger707

I used tp play rythmn Guitar mostly Gospel in a church Band.Have'nt played much in about 20 yrs. I have an early 80's AlvarezAcoustic. Also have a new Ibanez Acoustic Elect. Courtesy of my son NuTcAsE

I play a little. I used to be a decent classical guitarist, but I let that slack. Now I just **** around with Jimi Hendrix songs and stuff.

For all of you Memphis area guitar players, Memphis Music is the best! They'll match prices with Musicians Friend, buy locally!

Dont your work for another music store in Germantown?

Guest jfountain2

I used to play, mainly van halen, metallica, ratt etc.. owned a lot of different strat style guitars over the years. I stopped playing 6 years ago, don't even own a guitar currently but I have been thinking about building me up a new one.

I play electric guitar and bass. I'm not great at either, but I enjoy it all. Here are some of my toys:

DSC01300.jpg

L to R : 1981 Ibanez AR350 Artist, Fender Hwy 1 Texas Tele, 1977 Ibanez PF300 (think Frampton), Fender Hwy 1 Strat w/ Lindy Fralin p/ups. I have since sold off the Strat.... man I miss that guitar.

Some closeups of the babies!

DSC01324.jpg

DSC01376.jpg

DSC01248.jpg

Me playing:

DSC01396.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

What's weird is that bass has always been my primary instrument!! I play at church every Sunday and have been for 8 years. But I've only got one bass, a Yamaha Michael Anthony series 5 string running through some Ampeg stuff. For some reason, I like playing metal guitar at home, but I'm just not that good at it. I'm not really good at bass either, but I'm better on bass than on guitar.

I really want to learn to play bass in the black gospel style. I hope maybe next year I can seek out a good teacher and take some lessons. I LOVE black gospel music. Too bad I'm a cracker!!

Guest tlondon

I tried to learn to play and got along pretty good untill my hand started going numb about 5 to 10 minutes after starting. I have a low end Takamine (Jasmine) It is on the for trade post if someone is looking for a really nice intermediate (sp) guitar.

Used to have a few different guitars. Epiphone Sheraton II, Les Paul studio Tuxedo with gold hardware, Jackson acoustic, Fernandez with sustainer's. Now all I have is the Fernandez that I picked up for next to nothing. I really like U2 sounds. Very original and inventive while keeping it simple. also listen to a lot of different stuff. Phil Keaggy (best guitarist ever), SRV, Eric Johnson, G&R, 80's stuff. I play by ear so what ever i like I'll try to figure out how to play it and then move on to something else.