Hello from White House

Hi everyone, names Jason, friends call me Red Bull because I used to work for them, not to mention there are 35 thousand Jasons. I have been a member of David's Jeep web site for about a year now, and as I got the urge to get a shotgun for me and my son, I knew this would be the place to go. Wish I was a member of the Jeep site before I bought my Jeep. That said, I'd like to get into duck hunting even though it seems impossible right now. I need to go to hunters safety course (I think) before i can get a hunting license. My son is 12 so I'm not sure what he needs to do. I grew up in Iowa on a farm so it was never difficult to just grab a gun and go shoot anything on our land. But here i am now a long way from there with no land.

A little background on myself: I am a member of the TN National Guard and I work for them full time. I am a small arms repairman, but before you think that makes me a gunsmith.. . No, I use a manual on everything I work on. I am good at it, but not with civilian guns. So i do need advice on what shotguns to get my son and i.

I think thats enough of an intro for now.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings Red, welcome to the TGO forums!

Yes, both you & your son will need to attend a hunter safety course, if you plan on hunting anywhere except your own private property.

As far as shotguns, I am guessing you'd want something that both you & your son could use? Is that correct? Or are you planning on getting seperate shotguns?

If you could give me a bit more information on how many, what you are planning on hunting with them & the budget you have allotted to buy them with I could suggest which I think would suit your needs the best or at the very least give you a bit of advice.
I want to start out hunting squirrel and rabbit with the hopes of getting into duck hunting. I want to get a gun for both of us, and I would like to stay on the less expensive side because we are just starting out. I saw a Mossberg 500 youth 20 gauge pump at Academy for $239. As for me...not sure. Thinking 12 gauge.