Sheriff Charges $10 to "Approve" C&R Application!?!

I am applying for my C&R to get the Midwayusa discount. What can I say...bullets are expensive these days. Sent the BATF and the local Hamilton County Sheriff (Chattanooga) the forms on Monday.

Got the mail today and the Sheriff sent me a nice letter saying that they will not approve my application until I send them $10 to cover the background check and processing fee. I REALLY want to tell them how stupid I think they are, but at the same time diplomatically let them know that I am not "applying" to them at all...just letting them know I am gonna get a C&R FFL. They literally have to take no action as the BATF will be running all the checks that are needed. It even says so in the form I sent them.

Has anyone else run into this? I know it really isn't much to complain about, but I think they are incorrectly treating Type 3 and Type 1 FFL applications the same.

I guess the question is...should I just shut up and pay them or call the BATF to see what they say. What would you folks do?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Don't pay them as they are not the ones conducting the background checks, the ATF is. I'd say just completely ignore them and you'll get the license anyway. All you had to do was inform them. They are informed. They don't have to approve squat. The ATF will do the rest.

Guest slothful1
I guess the question is...should I just shut up and pay them or call the BATF to see what they say. What would you folks do?

Um... neither one? Sounds like you fulfilled your obligations already. Go on about your business.

Guest bkelm18
Um... neither one? Sounds like you fulfilled your obligations already. Go on about your business.

I agree. You have informed your CLEO. Obligation fulfilled. Carry on.

The thing is they sent the green form back to me as well. Am willing to bet they did nothing but put them back in a letter and send them back...Thus no record of me ever sending them at all. I agree that I will be fine, but I am thinking CYA here. In everyone's opinion should I send it back to them certified mail and keep the receipt?

Oh yeah...here is the letter...click it to make bigger. I know that $10 is nothing, but it just ruffles my feathers a bit. Heck...I could buy a gallon of diesel and a pack of gum for that.

Sheriff.jpg

Edited by I_Like_Pie
Added Picture

This is why I went to my CLEO in person.

You have to explain to him that he is not conducting the background check (ATF will do that). He is only being informed and his signature knowledges that you are applying. That is all the ATF needs (or wants).

Later you will provide him a file copy of your 03 FFL.

This is why I went to my CLEO in person.

That is another funny thing...I did. My office is literally across the street from the sheriff's office...I could throw a marble on their roof from our outdoor lunch room.

They smiled, took the application, and mailed it right back to me. Will get some general consensus for a day or so before I give them another visit.

Guest bkelm18

Is there something the CLEO has to sign and mail to the ATF? I did not think there was. All you had to do was inform him and that was that. In either event, if you choose to, talk to the Sheriff and the ATF. But I'm guessing you can just ignore the Sheriff and you'll get the license anyway.

Guest utarch00
Is there something the CLEO has to sign and mail to the ATF? I did not think there was. All you had to do was inform him and that was that. In either event, if you choose to, talk to the Sheriff and the ATF. But I'm guessing you can just ignore the Sheriff and you'll get the license anyway.

This was my understanding also. IMHO, you have done what you need to. Send your stuff onto the ATF and wait for you C&R to come back in a couple of weeks.

Guest bkelm18

When I sent mine in, the two copies I'm pretty sure were exactly identical, except one said Send to CLEO and the other said Send to ATF.

Guest Spuds

Ya can't go wrong with Billy Long.

My guess is the Sheriff's office is in disarray with Long in the pokey.

As others stated, you have done your duty with the notification, that is all that is required.

The letter they sent you is all the proof you need that they were notified, isn't it? Sleep well.

BTW, I'm at 540 McCallie.

Edited by Spuds
Guest price g
Maybe they are trying to raise the money for Billy Long's lawyer bill.Jerry Summers don't work cheap.:cool:

This is the correct answer

I would say the ATF is somebody you don't want to mess with and make sure you have all of your i's dotted and t's crossed. Explain to the sheriff the situation and see where it goes from there. $10 may seem cheap if you have any trouble later on.

Guest bkelm18
I would say the ATF is somebody you don't want to mess with and make sure you have all of your i's dotted and t's crossed. Explain to the sheriff the situation and see where it goes from there. $10 may seem cheap if you have any trouble later on.

There will be no trouble. The application will get approved because the requirements for notification are satisfied and the Sherriff has no right to do what he is doing. And if for whatever reason the ATF feels they should deny it, they'll just deny it, end of story. No criminal inquisition, no black helicopters at 2am, no federal agents busting down your door. Just a simple letter saying "Sorry, you're denied. Here's your $30 back". Forgetting to cross a T or dot an I on an 03 FFL application is not a crime and the person processing it will probably think you're dumb but will approve it anyway.

There will be no trouble. The application will get approved because the requirements for notification are satisfied and the Sherriff has no right to do what he is doing. And if for whatever reason the ATF feels they should deny it, they'll just deny it, end of story. No criminal inquisition, no black helicopters at 2am, no federal agents busting down your door. Just a simple letter saying "Sorry, you're denied. Here's your $30 back". Forgetting to cross a T or dot an I on an 03 FFL application is not a crime and the person processing it will probably think you're dumb but will approve it anyway.

Short term, yes it will probably get approved. The sheriff shouldn't require this, but my guess is the sheriff would say that the application was never properly recieved.

Not sure about your helicopters and doors deal.

Guest utarch00
Short term, yes it will probably get approved. The sheriff shouldn't require this, but my guess is the sheriff would say that the application was never properly recieved.

But all the OP would have to do is show the form with the letter the Sheriff sent as proof the Sheriff was notified.

Guest bkelm18

The Sheriff can say whatever he wants. If the ATF approves it, thats the end of the story and the Sheriff can't do a thing about it except cry to the ATF who will then tell him that what he's doing isn't right. He has no say in whether the FFL gets approved or not.

I sent the information back to the Sheriff telling them that they don't have to do anything at all, it doesn't matter if it is approved or not, and if they have any questions they should address them to the BATF.

I have called the BATF in Atlanta and they agreed that the Sheriff is in the wrong. We will see how they reply to the letter...which I am pretty sure that they will.

Guest bkelm18
I sent the information back to the Sheriff telling them that they don't have to do anything at all, it doesn't matter if it is approved or not, and if they have any questions they should address them to the BATF.

I have called the BATF in Atlanta and they agreed that the Sheriff is in the wrong. We will see how they reply to the letter...which I am pretty sure that they will.

Good job! Pretty sure the safest bet was to call the BATFE and ask.

Guest 70below

It will be quite amusing if the sheriff demands his $10....lol. Maybe it goes to Boss Hog. Cost alot to keep those white suits clean.

• 2 weeks later...