Varmints

Guest celler

CA transplant to the Memphis area. Missing my ground squirrel hunting area in the hinterland of northern CA. What type of varmint hunting is popular out in these parts? I typically shoot .223 and .22LR depending on what I'm after. Is a license required to hunt "pests" in TN/AR/MS?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions you all have.

On your own property inTN no. Off of your property a small game and fishing license about $25. Not sure in MS,AR. Gray and fox squirrels are fun with 22lr. You just have to time your shot and wait for them to come around the tree. Also good to eat for a tree rat.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone
A hunting license is REQUIRED in the state of Tennessee, as well as a hunter safety card. Most small game species here cannot be hunted with centerfire weapons, IE:223. One of the really nice things about Tennessee, is that if it is NOT LISTED in the HUNTING REGS, it cannot be legally hunted. The next really nice thing about Tennessee, is the really cool FREE booklet of hunting regs that explains everything you need to know about hunting in Tennessee. Get a FREE copy anywhere license are sold....hell in fact, about all wildlife officers have an extra copy in their truck....

Ground Squirrels here are called "Chipmunks". There are protected. Tree Rats are a good choice for .22 and may be taken by shotgun and muzzleloader. Coyote hunting is real popular here, but special regulations and weapons do apply!

Dave S Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1
Guys, thanks for the rapid replies. I thought CA was ridonkulous for requiring a hunting license to hunt varmints.--guess its not the only place. Disappointing that center fire rifles are not OK for little pests in TN. What a web of regulations we weave via our elected representatives and unelected bureaucrats.

I'll download a copy of the TN hunting brochure and figure this all out before I head out.

[quote name='celler' timestamp='1354584487' post='854549']
Guys, thanks for the rapid replies. I thought CA was ridonkulous for requiring a hunting license to hunt varmints.--guess its not the only place. Disappointing that center fire rifles are not OK for little pests in TN. What a web of regulations we weave via our elected representatives and unelected bureaucrats.

I'll download a copy of the TN hunting brochure and figure this all out before I head out.
[/quote]

Maybe we can all help you out more....what "PEST" in particular are you wanting to hunt?

Dave S
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1354583145' post='854530']
if it is NOT LISTED in the HUNTING REGS, it cannot be legally hunted.

Dave S
[/quote]

A couple of years ago I saw a very strange looking deer not too far from my house. I knew for certain that it wasn't a white tail. When I got home I called my game warden buddy and described what I had seen and where I had seen it. Instantly his reply was "I wish you would have shot it." Turned out I had seen a fallow deer that had escaped an enclosure. He told me that it would have been legal to shoot because it was a non native species and Tennessee had no season on it. Generally though just following the book is a good way to keep yourself out of trouble.
  • 3 weeks later...

The fee for a hunting license is pretty cheap here in Tn., and it goes back into helping manage the areas that we all hunt and fish. Rim fire is more than enough for "pests", .22, .22wmr etc., especially with the high velocity 40gr rounds available.

A couple of years ago I saw a very strange looking deer not too far from my house. I knew for certain that it wasn't a white tail. When I got home I called my game warden buddy and described what I had seen and where I had seen it. Instantly his reply was "I wish you would have shot it." Turned out I had seen a fallow deer that had escaped an enclosure. He told me that it would have been legal to shoot because it was a non native species and Tennessee had no season on it. Generally though just following the book is a good way to keep yourself out of trouble.

Your gamewarden was wrong.If there is no season for a animal it is protected,the fallow deer would be the same as shooting your neighbors cow.Its a import that is farmed & considered as livestock being non native.Look at the Red Deer problem in E Tn.

[quote name='Angus' timestamp='1356069039' post='865047']Guys, thanks for the rapid replies. I thought CA was ridonkulous for requiring a hunting license to hunt varmints.--guess its not the only place. Disappointing that center fire rifles are not OK for little pests in TN. What a web of regulations we weave via our elected representatives and unelected bureaucrats. I'll download a copy of the TN hunting brochure and figure this all out before I head out. The fee for a hunting license is pretty cheap here in Tn., and it goes back into helping manage the areas that we all hunt and fish. Rim fire is more than enough for "pests", .22, .22wmr etc., especially with the high velocity 40gr rounds available.[/quote] Thanks for the feedback. My frame of reference is 150 yard ground squirrel shooting in alfalfa fields of blustery northern California--hence my experience with .223. 22LR plain didn't reach and .17HMR was blown all over the place. Guess I need to "recalibrate" my expectations. Still happy to be here with y'all in TN!
Guest Aces&8s
Primarily squirrels

See, there's yer problem... in CA, squirrels may be pests, but in TN, they're dinner.

I use .17hmr for squirrels and groundhogs, but around here I rarely have shots over 75 - 100 yards, due to the hills and woods on our property.