Draco SBR Concept (Feedback? Suggestions?)

GS455

Planning a Draco SBR. Don’t really wanna go very tacti-cool with rails, handles and synth furniture n’all although I’ve seen some great set ups. My goal is a clean, compact, mid range, high power rifle that’s discrete and fast access with irons and quick target reacquisition on second and following shots.

I’d like to put my concept out there fore suggestions and feedback.

1) ACE side folder (I’m pretty much settled on this stock)

2) Rear trunion mount peep site from [url="http://www.tech-sights.com/"]www.tech-sights.com[/url] . I like that these are mounted to the receiver (not dust cover) and have elevation/windage while having hooded protection due to the high rounded sides.

3) I’d like a muzzle device that does duty as a flash suppressor and a reasonable compensating brake. I know it might be loud for my neighbors but I keep ending up at the Battle Comp(?) to do all three. Not frickin cheap though.

4) I’d like a clean grippy grip. Hogue?

5) Don’t know if there’s any reason to be swapping out the wood furniture for the moment.

6) I bought a bunch of 20 round milsurp mags. I have found that if I Dremel-off the follower stops at the top/inside I can substitute Yugo BHO followers. 20 rounders keep the whole set up cleaner, more compact and easier to handle. Plus you can shoot prone more easily.

7) I put a Red Star Arms trigger group in my M76 for sort of a two-stage trigger feel. Eh! It’s nothing to write home about. I’d love to hear other ideas for a two-stage feel in an AK. Man, if I could find something that felt like a Garand or M1A I’d be a happy camper. I am not the type to do any grinding or modifications myself. Would have it done or should be drop in.

Anybody have any experience with any or all of these features? What am I missing? Feedback? Suggestions?
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The ace stock works and is very easy to attach to the rear trunnion. I had the folder mechanism on it but took it off and attached the stock directly to the rear trunnion on mine.

3. I would check out spikes new muzzle brake. It works very well, isn't $220, and doesn't give the guy next to you a concussion.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spikes-tactical-ak-dynacomp-m14x1-lh-thread-p-944.html

Or the liberty cans flash hider. It works very well. It turned the beachball of flame into just some sparks of still burning powder blowing out of mine.

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/rmikemcd/e72287f1b0523ae105825e640796aaa6.jpg[/IMG]

http://libertycans.net/Phoenix.html

4. The US Palm grips are a good option. I don't personally see them as necessary on a small rifle like the Draco but they work nicely on my RPKs and are very comfortable. A lightly stippled standard polymer grip is my personal choice on a regular ak.

5. The wood works. No reason to swap it unless you absolutely want to.

6. I'm not sure why you want bolt hold open mags. They literally do nothing. Once you pull the mag out the carrier goes into battery. So why go to the trouble to fit them to your mags when they don't benefit you? I've also never had any issue going prone with a 30rd mag.

7. I can't tell a difference between RSA, Tapco, Arsenal, or factory com-block triggers. The only trigger I can honestly say feels different are the Chinese polytechs.

Mike

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/rmikemcd/06b53727d4851c5b4866c4411b6541c6.jpg[/IMG] Edited by Mike

I would check out spikes new muzzle brake. It works very well, isn't $220, and doesn't give the guy next to you a concussion. Or the liberty cans flash hider. It works very well. It turned the beachball of flame into just some sparks of still burning powder blowing out of mine.

The only trigger I can honestly say feels different are the Chinese polytechs.

Hmmmm. Might get one of each. Prob won't be able to get flash hiders much longer.

I might agree but don't have enough experience. Chinese Polytechs? Huh. What feels diff about them? Good? Bad? Certainly not something you can get after market? Edited by GS455

BUT can they be gotten is the question

I have an double hook polytec/norinco trigger group in my parts box, swapped it out for a G2 trigger group trying to stay 922r compliant on a conversion I did a few years back.

So I am sure that there are a few floating around, I couldn't have been the only one who swapped theirs out for US made ones.

I have an double hook polytec/norinco trigger group in my parts box, swapped it out for a G2 trigger group trying to stay 922r compliant on a conversion I did a few years back.

So I am sure that there are a few floating around, I couldn't have been the only one who swapped theirs out for US made ones.

Was is a two-stage feel?

Trigger, I would just stick with the G2 honestly.  Spend the extra money a good safety selector from Krebs and/or one of the retainer plates for the pins instead.  Its hard to argue the tech sights if you are ok with that particular setup.  On the grip, the us palm has already been mentioned.  I would throw out there the m249 saw style grips, any number of grips from Ronin's, or the magpul stuff with one of the new millet ak-ar adapters (instead of that plastic junk from ACE).  As for the muzzle device, the battlecomp is cool but I would probably suggest either the PWS one if you want it to look fancy.  If you just want it to do a good job then just get one of the '74-style comps for the 47; will be hard to beat in the comp and FH categories.  Especially considering the price difference.

http://www.roninsgrips.com/Home_Page.html

http://slrrifleworks.com/products/AK-AK-Billet-Grip-Adapter