Ruger LCP or revolver to carry?

Guest Benkharr

Guest bkelm18

If you haven't looked at the Kahr CM9, I would. It's a great pistol. Not a whole lot bigger than the LCP. Very smooth trigger and about the most pleasent recoil of any pocket pistol I've tried. They're in the $400-$450 ballpark.

Guest DAVID RICHARDS

A little advice from someone who has taught quite a few women and men to shoot over the years. First off assume nothing because of the porential user being a woman except the usually have less upper body strength than males. But as far as actuating the slide lots of biginners do it wrong. Most hold the gun with their dominant hand and pull with the weaker. The proper way is to pull with the weak hand and at the same time push with the dominant hand. Barring true hand strength issues with proper technique most people can work the slide on most auto's. Next I wouldn't limit it to a small revolver or the LCP. Lots of nice slim 9mm's out there nowadays.

Smaller, flatter, more rounds and more powerful rounds than say a J-frame. And some not much bigger than the .380's. But your question was the LCP vs. a revolver. The revolvers advantages (I'm guessing you are looking at .38's) are simple manual of arms, can be fired through a coat pocket, and if a round misfires a pull of the trigger brings up the next round. No rap, tap, bang. Also although fron short barrels their is not that much difference in energy between the .38 and .380 you can load much heavier bullets assuring deep penetration.

The LCP has more rounds, is much more compact, lighter, and is faster to reload. If you get a light weight revolver neither the LCP or the revolver are pleasant or easy to use. Both have quite a bit of recoil because of their size and weight. Neither is really a good gun for a beginner. I've seen men and women both fire light weight .38's and small .380's and want nothing more to do with them. So the best advice anyone can give you is to let her try both guns herself. She is going to be the only one who can decide which is better for her.

I will say this for the LCP. It can be carried discreetly when about no other firearm could. So mine accompanies me very often. Usually as a BUG. In the winter the j-frame is in my coat pocket. a women I recently worked with did not like the J-frame or the small .380's. A Kel Tec P32 ended upbeing just right for her. The .32 is slightly ballistically inferior to the .380. But she can shoot the .32 well. She can place fast accurate shots with it. In the end that is the most important thing. She has it loaded with fmj ammo by the way. .32, .380, and .38 Special from small guns have problems getting both expansion and penetration. Some of the newer loads in these calibers do pretty well. But you've got to reach vitals FMJ will in this caliber. JHP's iffy.

My friend needed a small gun because of her lifestyle. The P32 fit the bill for her. Again if these are the choices (LCP or .38 revolver) let her shoot both. That will be what will tell which is best for her. Also consider some of the newer small 9mm's. Many are smaller than the revolvers. Whatever the choice let it be hers based on handling the weapon. Lots of the little .380's and .38's sit at home because they are simply not comfortable for many people to shoot. Good luck with whatever your choice. 

I have the LCR in .357 Magnum. If you carry the magnums, it's wise to carry a round optimized for the short barrel, such as Golden Saber (my preference) Gold Dots, or Critical Defense. Besides the reduced recoil, muzzle flash is the main consideration; and you still gain about 100-200 fps over .38 +p. And if you can always opt to carry .38's; you'll have 3 more ounces of gun (vs. LCR 38) to help manage the recoil.

Also, the grip is a bit wider than most S&W's, enough to hinder pocket carry.

Guest ted@williamtcox.com
I carry an LCP now and like it. I have always used a glock 27 but it was hard to conceal. I would buy and recommend the LCP. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Guest nra37922

What I love about my LCP is that it almost completely disappears in my front pants pocket the same cannot be said about the LCR.  But one canot go wrong with either.

I have grown very fond of my Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380. Never a problem with it. Pocket carries very nicely and the slide does lock back when empty also. My wife has the .38 Bodyguard it's pretty sweet and easy to operate but have to load her up with some wad-cutters for range practice or she balks after a few shots. I don't blame her it bites fairly well from the back end also with +p's.

Took my .22 Taurus, .380 SW Bodyguard, and .357 SW Model 640 (short barrel stainless) loaded with .38s out into the woods for a little practice. At about 20 ft, I got all the rounds within about a 6" circumference with the first two (the .380 is new), but I grouped the .357 shots within the size of a half dollar. Yes it's heavy but it's my favorite. That said, the .380 is a better carry gun. Just wish I could dial it in better. It's my first non revolver so that may be my problem.