East Tn TGO Members JULY 26, 2008 Meet

Guest c.a.s.

If she can find someone to watch her daughter (the daughter is in a wheelchair and requires special care because of disabilities and diseases), I might just have one of Mom's friends going. Probably not, though. Just sayin', that I MIGHT, but probably won't. She has a Ruger P89 that I might get to shoot tomorrow. And she has a Sig Sauer, but it's been put up and forgotten. A P220, if she remembers correctly.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna take a look at the directions next. Anything I can bring to help with targets?

four two three two four six six four three three - Call when/if you need help finding the place.

As for the targets, I haven't gotten the wood or the cardboard yet. I didn't get to the weed eating today, so I will be doing that tomorrow. I did get a bunch of other stuff done, though - all honey-do items. Been a very busy first week at home.

Anyway, I will make it to lowes tomorrow and get the wood, but don't have cardboard for the target backers. Bring your own targets and a stapler, if you have one.

Mike, do you know where you want to camp? The clearing, the range, or up on the hill?

Mark I was thinking the clearing off to the left of the driveway as one heads toward your castle. If I remember right there is a firepit and picnic table there?

But I am flexible, I will do whatever is easiest on you.

Mike, that is fine...

Mars, the new neighbors are a widow and her son. The son likes to shoot, and will probably be there.

Very sad - the guy that bought the place died just after buying it.

Tower, hope you can make it, understand if you can't. Gonna be a busy, crowded weekend here...

Guest c.a.s.

I wouldn't mind camping, but i have no way to get there, and no tent, as well as the whole "had to work at grandparent's" deal.

four two three two four six six four three three - Call when/if you need help finding the place.

As for the targets, I haven't gotten the wood or the cardboard yet. I didn't get to the weed eating today, so I will be doing that tomorrow. I did get a bunch of other stuff done, though - all honey-do items. Been a very busy first week at home.

Anyway, I will make it to lowes tomorrow and get the wood, but don't have cardboard for the target backers. Bring your own targets and a stapler, if you have one.

Mike, do you know where you want to camp? The clearing, the range, or up on the hill?

I'm bringing a little over a dozen pieces of cardboard with me. And more than enough targets for myself. Are shotguns allowed. If not no problem.

See you there.

14_6_19.gif

Mark, I thought I might make it out for a little while tonight, but guess I'll wait and try to get out for a while tomorrow if possible. My neighbor came up and asked if he could buy my old pickup that hasn't been run in three years. Since I was trying to find a free way to get it hauled off, I acquiesced. :blush:

But I think it's a bit late to come out tonight.

So I think I'll crack open the Bacardi Gold and have a barbecue sandwich and corn on the cob. Y'all have fun tonight.

Guest c.a.s.

I'm working out my transportation, but if it works out I'm good.

Just bringing my Marlin 39A and Armscor, everything else is too expensive to shoot.

I'm working out my transportation, but if it works out I'm good.

Just bringing my Marlin 39A and Armscor, everything else is too expensive to shoot.

I've got a 39A myself, had it for 30 years. Great little gun. I may bring a little of my .22 ammo and see if I can try yours.

Hi All,

We have some happy campers. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow. BD, shotguns are fine. Mars, whenever you can get here - always welcome. Cody, bring it on. I have plenty of 22 on hand, and we can arrange for some centerfire for you, no worries.

Guest c.a.s.

Just a question.

Who DOESN'T have .22 somewhere?

I didn't make a round count, but I've just about worked through my bulk-pak. I have plenty of Short, too.

BD, sure you can try it.

Guest Boomhower

Guys, I had a great time yesterday. I ended up bring most of my ammo back home, but the conversation with old friends and now the new ones, was well worth the drive in itself.....and thanks to everyone for letting me shot your rifle's. That H&R garand has to be the smoothest rifle I've shot to date, the nice swiss bolt action (sorry James, I can't remember the specs :clap:), the nice lever action Marlin, and it's always nice to get my teeth jarred by the nagant.

This was a great success. Combined members from both forums gathered starting Friday afternoon for fellowship and fun with firearms.

And let me tell you fun was what was going on!!

Mark@Sea had a great spot prepared for camping. Plenty of firewood on hand too.

Tents were pitched, ( no get your minds out of the gutter, I am talking camping tents.)

A fire was made and an adult beverage or more was on the menu.

Our lovely hostess Sue@home made a great steak dinner, man oh man she spoils me everytime I am up there.

After dinner and lot of shooting the BS several of us headed out to the range for a little night live fire exercising. I was shooting the Moisin Nagant and we also had some cannon action. I tell you all, I thought the fireballs from the Moisin were impressive but they were nothing compared to the cannon. Wow that thing lit up the night sky, what a hoot.

We sat up into wee hours of the morn solving the worlds problems. Even our little night visitor "pepe le pue" seemed to have a fine evening.

Come morning some rain set in, dampening the air but not wetting anyones spirits. The weather report was for the rain to clear out and so it did.

A hearty pancake breakfast made for a fine diversion until shooting began in the early afternoon.

Suntzu in his infinite wisdom decided to kill the battery in his vehicle but not to fear my F-150 jumped that rice burner right over.

The shoot was a milsurp extravaganza. Moisin Nagants, K-32, a Garand and of course the ever popular 1911, as well as every terrorists favorite the AK47. I think there were a few other tupperware guns being shot but it was hard to tell over the roar of the WW2 Allied powers arsenal being shot.

All in all a great day made even better by a little horse trading between Mark and myself. Dang it Mark! How can I say no to a Savage semi auto 22, and a super scope with a lighted reticle for my grandsons single shot .22. Well a person can never have enough .22's

Those that made it to the shoot made it a great shoot and to those that missed it, maybe next time!

Guest c.a.s.

That was fun.

Even with all the rifles and shotguns with heavy recoil, I walked away without a bruise and only a slightly sore shoulder (I held the 12 gauge wrong ONCE and quickly put it back in the pocket of my shoulder correctly)

Getting to try out everything was nice. The K32 was a really neat rifle to shoot. The M1 Garand put a smile on my face, though I was a bit nervous to load the clip myself (been reading too many accounts of 'Garand Thumb')

The AK-47 was REALLY fun. Especially with that drum. Mark did much better than me trying to bumpfire. We started shooting at walnuts, and the AK sure did get them, even if it missed quite a bit.

Overall a fun time! You can tell it's fun when both your shoulders and spine are sore, but you can't stop smiling thinking about it.

Guest SUNTZU

I hate cosmoline. Cody is hell with a .22, as is Boomhower. Mike is the great white skunk hunter, and thanks for the jump start. Mark and Sue, thanks so much for letting us camp out and for the use of the lantern. Breakfast was wonderful, especially after sitting in the rain in the morning. I love my new rifle, and no, I don't have pictures yet. Builderwood, bubbiesdad, Cody, it was great to meet you all. Kat had a great time and is already pestering me about going shooting, except I don't think its pestering at all :) (she already bought a box of ammo).

Do not attempt to outshoot Mark with a Garand, unless he gives you a serious handicap. :P I'll post some pics soon to show you why. As far as the Glock vs. 1911 vs. XD, I was the only one to not have any failures. :P

Mark, thanks for taking the time to teach some basic pistol shooting to Kat, she really appreciated it and has taken an interest in shooting. Bubbiesdad, thanks for your help as well. Kat is from Atlanta and this was her second time shooting a handgun, and now she love's it!

Mike, curing the ills of society is serious business, thank God the coyotes didn't get us, or the skunk. :P

For those who missed it, maybe next time, but you sure missed a great time.

I'll post pics as soon as I get them back on disk.

Guest SUNTZU
Daniel have you gotten all the cosmoline out of that rifle yet?

I bet some came into the open from other unseen nooks and crannies of that rifle.

Have you seen my avatar? I think I got most of it. What is the best thing to use to clean with after firing? Just run some Hoppes through it? I want to go outside and fire it right now, just to offset the bass from my neighbors car, that he won't shut off.

best thing to use to clean with after firing

I prefer to use window cleaner with ammonia, the least expensive I can find.

Gotta neutralize the corrosives from the round.

I run a few patches with windex on it through the bore, then clean like normal with Hoppes or CLP. Break the bolt down too. Make sure all the cosmo is gone from it. Also scrub the bolt face with windex. Oil and reassemble.