Sex Offenders In Tennessee

I had a few minutes yesterday, so I pulled up The sex offender registry and typed in my zip code. I found a sex offender that I know. Can't say I was exactly surprised about this guy. He was convicted in Florida on March 29, 1988 of "LEWD/LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD." My guess is that alcohol was involved and it was his own child.

OK, so this is where I need some help. I'm not up on Tennessee sex offender laws, but this guy lives withing 1000 feet of a school. I thought there was a law making this illegal in Tennessee, but I can't find that in the code.

Additionally January 1, 1995 is a magic date for a lot of sex offenders. This may have a bearing on the matter.

"Violent sexual offender" means a person who has a conviction, as defined in subdivision (2), for a "violent sexual offense", as defined in subdivision (25); provided, that:

(A) The conviction occurs on or after January 1, 1995; or

(:D If the conviction occurred prior to January 1, 1995, the person:

(i) Remains under or is placed on probation, parole, or any other alternative to incarceration on or after January 1, 1995;

(ii) Is discharged from probation, parole, or any other alternative to incarceration on or after January 1, 1995; or

(iii) Is discharged from incarceration without supervision on or after January 1, 1995;

He seems to have a connection to Virginia and is possibly on a list there also, although I couldn't find it.

Anyone know enough about this school distance thing and whether the law applies to someone convicted of sexual abuse but who finished their sentence before January 1, 1995?

I'd rather get my facts and laws straight before I start making phone calls.

I know this list is not a complete listing of sex offenders. I know a guy in Marietta Georgia who was twice convicted of soliciting a child, once in Florida and once in Kingsport. After his jail time here he moved to Marietta and, as far as I know is still active in the community there. And I'm guessing that no one knows about his child sex perversion. I don't understand why there is a cutoff date for being listed.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid

I haven't looked at the code yet either, but it may have something to do with the definition of a "Violent" sexual offender as well... that's referenced in the code you pasted.

Guest GlocKingTN

My wife works at a prison in our county, and deals with the sex offender thing alot, as she is in the inmate records part of it. She says No LESS than a 1000 feet. It could be more, but more than likely not less! She said she would find out for you tomorrow Marswolf!

Thanks GlocKing. I have a nasty feeling that he is going to slip in as OK because he finished his sentence before 1995.

I don't know enough of the history of sexual abuser laws to understand why the cutoff date since they vary from state to state. Probably some ex post facto thing.

Guest GlocKingTN

IMHO, it should never be a cut-off date for those sort of offenses. The only cut off date for those kind of offenders, is the cut-off date I give him/her if its EVER my child!

Guest GlocKingTN

My wife said that it was a 1000 feet. 1000 feet away from a school, a daycare, and a church! Why the church, I dont know!

Guest jackdog

There is now and never has been an excuse for someone to do this to a child. This should be a death penalty offense, and that would solve the problem of record keeping. Oh there sick, it's not really their fault, they can't help them selves, Liberal bleeding heart BS. Ought to just be a hunting season on these sick A holes.

I think I'll just call the Sheriff and tell him the situation. He's an old friend. Went to High School together, so I've know him since he was just the school fat kid. Now he's the county fat sheriff. :rolleyes:

I'll still bet the offense date gets this guy off the hook.