Womens Self Defensive Class?

Guest Natosha

Guest Natosha

Does anyone know of a women's only self defense class that would go over protecting yourself and using your hand gun in East TN? Something that would go into more detail that just the carry permit class.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might check with TGO member "Cruel Hand Luke."

PS..Just curious, why "womens only?"

....Or you might make the run to middle TN and train with CIS, great guys great training. I would feel comfortable with my wife taking a class from them. Also,Todd used to be a woman so he can relate.:D

Guest Natosha

Todd- Well it wouldn't have to be woman's only but I think if it was a woman based class that they would cover more stuff on stuff like rape and etc. Also it seems if other women are together everyone feels more comfortable to ask question and such. But if you stick a me in a class with 10 or so men I would be so nervous and probably never ask even one question. Just me though. :hat:

Guest Todd@CIS
Todd- Well it wouldn't have to be woman's only but I think if it was a woman based class that they would cover more stuff on stuff like rape and etc. Also it seems if other women are together everyone feels more comfortable to ask question and such. But if you stick a me in a class with 10 or so men I would be so nervous and probably never ask even one question. Just me though. :hat:

Gotcha. You have valid concerns.

I'll just throw two points out there.

1. Remember that self-defense is self-defense. Too often I see women attending watered down classes that provide them with very little useful, real world skills. Whether someone attacks you for sex assault or robbery, it really doesn't matter. Your violent response does...and your gender won't matter at that moment. Good techniques are not gender specific.

2. Women only for comfortable learning? Yes/maybe, but only in the very beginning (and you're probably beyond that point already). If you find a good instructor, he/she will quell the "chestbeating BS" and make everyone in the class understand that everyone is there to make themselves more a warrior...regardless of their current skill level or plumbing.

I write this because sometimes I think women shortchange themselves when it comes to firearms/SD training...when in reality they can run with their male counterparts just fine.

Good luck in your search.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Natosha
Gotcha. You have valid concerns.

I'll just throw two points out there.

1. Remember that self-defense is self-defense. Too often I see women attending watered down classes that provide them with very little useful, real world skills. Whether a male attacker tries to brutalize me or tries to brutalize you, your work begins right there and you'll have the rest of your life to think about it...and your gender won't matter. Good techniques are not gender specific.

2. Women only for comfortable learning? Yes/maybe, but only in the very beginning (and your probably beyond that point already). If you find a good instructor, he/she will quell the "chestbeating BS" and make everyone in the class understand that everyone is there to make themselves a warrior...regardless of their current skill level or plumbing.

I write this because sometimes I think women shortchange themselves when it comes to firearms/SD training...when in reality they can run with their male counterparts just fine.

Good luck in your search.

Make sense.

I think your class that is reviewed by Tungsten looks exactly like the type of class I want. I am glad he posted it. I hope to get to take it next year. I better start getting me some ammo to put back! :)

Right on the money!

My wife often takes that split second longer, that it requires to make a perfect shot, whereas I will send one downrange and while I don't hit in the middle of the X, she will.

When it comes to asking questions, Natosha...I can say that I PROMISE, you won't sound as silly as anyone else. if you're that afraid of asking the questions, write them down as the class progresses and then go ask them to your instructor after the class, on a one on one basis.

I'm willing to bet money that you'll get lots more silly questions from others in the class...that being said, when I go to a class like this, I go to learn..so I know I'm going to ask a question that someone else will deem "silly".

so what? I'm there to learn..for me..not for them. not asking that silly question means that I'll leave something to chance or ignorance..and when it comes to that, I don't care what I look like to others...I want to KNOW.

Edited by towerclimber37
Guest Todd@CIS
Make sense.

I think your class that is reviewed by Tungsten looks exactly like the type of class I want. I am glad he posted it. I hope to get to take it next year. I better start getting me some ammo to put back! :)

We would love to have you.

However, if due to timing, convenience, etc., you find yourself training elsewhere, be sure of your instructor!

Unfortunately, while there are great ones out there, the firearms training business is full of guys that are more interested in "impressing the little lady" rather than passing on good mindset and sound techniques.

Nothing brings out the fragile male ego faster than guns, women, and weightlifting...B).

Guest Natosha

Nothing brings out the fragile male ego faster than guns, women, and weightlifting...:).

HAHAHA! I be will sure to check them out! Thanks!

My wife's boss just completed a self defense/rape prevention class that included some self defense hand on...well knees on :-) stuff. It was through the Nashville PD. I'll see if I can get a actual class name for you. Perhaps it's offered closer to your area as well.

Of course..Todd over at CIS runs an impressive class, as well as others.

Guest Todd@CIS

Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) is an empty-hand defense course for women offered for free through many police depts.

It's surprisingly good.

Guest clutepc
Todd- Well it wouldn't have to be woman's only but I think if it was a woman based class that they would cover more stuff on stuff like rape and etc. Also it seems if other women are together everyone feels more comfortable to ask question and such. But if you stick a me in a class with 10 or so men I would be so nervous and probably never ask even one question. Just me though. :confused:

My wife feels the same way, hence why she has a permit and won't carry.

She just won't feel comfortable unless it is all women, I'm sure she can't be the only one like that.

If you do find one let me know, I'll drive her to East TN if that's what it takes.

Todd you have some great points and I agree with them but I'm not the one you'd have to convince.

Maybe one of these days she can meet you and you can talk to her about your class, I think that you would convince her, me telling her won't do it..

Guest Phantom6

Natosha, we do women only classes in Oak Ridge at our school. As a matter of fact, my wife is the lead instructor in those. It's not on the schedule on our website yet but the next one is the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course and will be coming up will be in January. It is part of our Armed and Beautiful series. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a class syllabus.

GirlsBestFriend_01_a.jpg